Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Halloween Book Burning in North Carolina!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halloween Book Burning in North Carolina!

This book burning will be held at The Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, North Carolina

There is a link to the church's website at the link above. However, the article writer has graciously reproduced the invitation in living black and white color.

They are going to be burning any and all Bibles that do not conform to the King James Version. This means the New King James Version is going to be burned.

They're also going to burn CDs/Tapes/Vinyls of the "Devil's music" which includes country and western, Contemporary Christian, pop, etc., etc.

They're going to be burning books by the likes of Mother Theresa, The Pope, Billy Graham, T. D. Jakes, etc., etc.

At least the adults and kids will be too busy to protest Halloween? I have no clue.

I'm ... just at a loss of words for what this church is doing.
    Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

With any luck Fate/God/Allah/insert deity or belief will take notice and burn several people in attendance.

Comment

The word 'amazing' in the name is particularly appropriate, methinks.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I would go and start throwing copies of the king james bible on to the fire.

Comment

you know, book burners are idiots. And not because they're burning books.

But because they have to purchase the book they're burning, or steal them (and then likely get arrested). Either way, stores replenish their inventory, publishers then get the message the book is popular, and print more. They're doing more to hurt their own cause than simply ignoring it would do.
          Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

BroomJockey you are exactly correct. I'm reminded of when a whole bunch of people were protesting changes in livejournal by not posting for a day. It was pointed out that that would actually save livejournal money by not having to pay for bandwidth that one day.

Comment

Excellent point BroomJockey. Kinda like the record burning scene in The Rutles -- "Album sales skyrocketed. People were buying them just to burn them."

Idjits like these guys and WBC make all Christians look bad.
              People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
              If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

Originally posted by XCashier View Post

Idjits like these guys and WBC make all Christians look bad.
                Which is the reason they piss me off. I don't care what they do, but they drag down people who don't deserve to be dragged down with them.

I bet the Other Team is overjoyed at their behavior.

Comment

I was hoping they'd be burning copies of 1984.

Comment

"Let he who is without sin burn the first book."

I don't know, kinda fits.
                    The key to an open mind is understanding everything you know is wrong.

my blog
                    my brother's

Comment

Originally posted by BroomJockey View Post
                      But because they have to purchase the book they're burning
                      Dave Mustaine of Megadeth made that exact same point in an interview awhile back, when he was asked about people who were burning his records. He replied that they still had to buy copies to burn them, and the band was making money either way.
                      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

It's like the people who protest about bands like Alice Cooper; bet Alice loved the free publicity they gave his band back in the day! XD

Also, if they're going to burn any book, they should burn Twilight. 0: )
                        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

My brain just broke over the stupidity ...

And yeah ... who else are they burning? Are they just going to go to the local bookstore and buy every single book that wasn't the King James Version of the Bible and then go to burn them? Are these books being donated to them? Hope they have deep pockets.
                          Oh Holy Trinity, the Goddess Caffeine'Na, the Great Cowthulhu, & The Doctor, Who Art in Tardis, give me strength. Moo. Moo. Java. Timey Wimey

Avatar says: DAVID TENNANT More Evidence God is a Woman

Comment

Churches like this one are why I make sure, when people ask what sect of Christianity I belong to, to say the full name of it. Because it shares part of its name with what all the worst of the worst fundies seem to be.

(American Baptist != Baptist or Southern Baptist, and I'm more than willing to point that out.)
                            "Never confuse the faith with the so-called faithful." -- Cartoonist R.K. Milholland's father.
                            A truer statement has never been spoken about any religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                              Also, if they're going to burn any book, they should burn Twilight. 0: )
                              That would be a public service.
                              I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                              Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Working...
                              X