Larry David pees on Jesus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
    I think that traditional sects (or whatever their called) of Buddhism consider homosexuality to be a sin (or whatever they call it). I'm not sure how many actually adhere to that, though.
    few enough that my mother's former boss who recently came out of the closet has been met with understanding and carrying... basically, the exact opposite of how Christians are known for treating their gay members (who in my experience have been at best tolerated for as long as they continue to pay tithes and offerings).
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
      I think that traditional sects (or whatever their called) of Buddhism consider homosexuality to be a sin (or whatever they call it). I'm not sure how many actually adhere to that, though.
      Buddhism, like most religions, tends to take on the attributes of the culture where it is being practiced. Traditional sects in Japan are as homophobic as some Christian churches in the US.

The sort of Buddhism that Americans are exposed to is much more New Age-y. As an eastern import religion, it appeals to those who were already on the fringe of US society. Your average American Buddhist will not be homophobic.

Like the Bible, Buddhist texts can be interpreted in many ways. If you want to use them to condemn homosexuality, you can.

Comment

Working...
      X