X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ree View Post
    Not so far fetched.
    I have many pagan friends and acquaintances, and I have great respect for their beliefs.
    It's nice to see that it's possible for a person with a certain set of beliefs that is capable of respecting someone with completely different ones.

Comment

I have nothing to add to the debate, Ree, except that I'm sorry...perhaps talk to your current priest? He might be able to help you.

Comment

When did Catholic bashing become so en vogue around here?

I'm pretty sure if I posted threads about how much Muslims, Atheists, Agnostics, Pagans, etc sucked and talked shit about them at every chance I could get, I'm pretty sure some of you guys would be lining up to rip me a new asshole (and rightfully so, I might add!)

Seriously guys, I'm not even Catholic and I'm offended at the way some of you have been behaving about this. If you have issues with the Catholic Church (or even religion in general), fine, but please stop taking them out on the Catholics members of this board.

Comment

Originally posted by JuniorMintz View Post
          If you have issues with the Catholic Church (or even religion in general), fine, but please stop taking them out on the Catholics members of this board.
          ...Especially a "Catholic" member who hasn't criticized anyone else for their own beliefs, or their lack of belief, but has merely defended her own.

I don't recall condemning anyone on this board for believing as they do.

When I was confronted by people who said they don't believe in Christ, God, or organized religion, I don't believe I criticized them for that fact or tried to convert them to my belief.

Even in the "Non-Christians celebrating Christmas" thread, I didn't condemn them for celebrating Dec 25. I just asked that they stop using a name that references Christ if the celebration has nothing to do with the celebration of his birth.
          At no point did I say they didn't have a right to celebrate.

In the "I hate Christians and Christianity" thread, I simply pointed out that the title was implying, as a Christian, that I was worthy of hatred because of the actions of others.

I never said that all Christians, or even Catholics, were free from scorn. I merely pointed not all were equally worthy of it.

I don't think I have tarred an entire group of members with a brush labelled "Godless heathens who should burn in hell", but I feel like I have been tarred with a pretty broad "Catholics are the devil" kind of brush.
          Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

When did Catholic bashing become so en vogue around here?

Geeze, or Christianity in general.

If you substituted the word "Christian" for any other group name, there would be screams and blood in the streets around here. They're the last group it's okay to be bigoted against.

Well, them and Amway.

Comment

As I said before, if he had been acting on his sexual preference when he was in my parish, then I would have had a problem with it.
              Duuuh!! Of course, if he is going to call himself a Catholic priest". Again, not if he's going to refer to himself or the media is going to refer to him as a "Catholic priest".

The fact is, I am Catholic, and this was my priest, and he has chosen to go against everything he has been taught, everything he taught me, and everything for which he chose to take a vow, and that upsets me.
              I won't continue to post in this thread after I try to explain myself.
              You don't think he can be catholic and not believe everything the church officially says. You don't believe anyone can be catholic and have a gay relationship, because it's illegal and the catholic church denies it.
              That alone makes your position bigoted.
              But it does make you internally consistent which I misunderstood initially.
              I'm sorry for that.
              Last edited by Flyndaran; 11-18-2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Staying OT, but no... the brush has actually been painted against a couple of religions on here fairly broadly...

It's take me quite a bit to fight for scio to get shown even a modicum of respect on this board (go check earlier threads), and the Jedi dude has copped a nice flaming from some on here as well...

From an outsider's point of view, there is some elements of the brushing from which the paint should stick, as has been argued (elsewhere).

And on this particular thread, while the whole problem does actually seem to be about Ree's feeling lied to, some may see it as something indicative of a larger issue... (I presume).
                ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyndaran View Post
                  I won't continue to post in this thread after I try to explain myself.
                  Perhaps that would be best since you obviously don't seem to get it.
                  You don't think he can be catholic and not believe everything the church officially says.
                  As I already said, not and remain an active Catholic priest, since it goes against the doctrines and vows that he promised to uphold. I don't understand what part of that is so difficult for you to grasp.
                  You don't believe anyone can be catholic and have a gay relationship, because it's illegal and the catholic church denies it.
                  Again...DUUUH!!! I don't understand why you have such difficulty with that one.

First of all gay relationships aren't illegal, as far as I know. They are, however, forbidden in the Catholic church.

Let me give you an anlaogy. You join a gaming site or league. The rules state you cannot do certain things if you wish to remain an active member there.
                  You decide you don't like some of those rules, because they are inconvenient to you and put a crimp in how you like to do things.

Do you really think you are going to be allowed to continue to participate and call yourself a member of that group?

That alone makes your position bigoted.
                  I am so glad you did an edit, there, but, sadly, I already got an email with your original wording, so, too little, too late on that one.

I still don't see why you are choosing, yet again to toss that word around here. I strongly suspect it was to achieve the effect of agitating and stirring me up.

If that was the case, then to that, I say, "Once upon a time, there was a troll who loved to play with flames..."

So, perhaps it is best that you stay away from this thread.

You don't seem to be able to resist personal attacks, even though you apparently have the sense to go back and edit them out to avoid the appearances of that.
                  Last edited by Ree; 11-18-2009, 10:58 PM.
                  Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

You don't seem to be able to resist personal attacks, even though you apparently have the sense to go back and edit them out to avoid the appearances of that.
                    Calling homophobic beliefs such is not a personal attack any more than calling a member of the KKK a follower of racist beliefs is. It's a statement of fact.
                    If it hurts, then maybe you should reevaluate your beliefs.
                    I understand that stating my views may get me banned. But this time I will not apologize for calling bigoted beliefs such.
                    Last edited by Ree; 11-19-2009, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Calling homophobic beliefs such is not a personal attack any more than calling a member of the KKK a follower of racist beliefs is. It's a statement of fact.
                      I understand that stating my views may get me banned. But this time I will not apologize for calling bigoted beliefs such.
                      Is it possible for you to make even ONE post without behaving like such an utter cock?

Comment

Is it possible for you to make even ONE post without behaving like such an utter cock?
                        I loathe homophobia. I cannot believe that I am in the minority in this.

Comment

I loathe homophobia. I cannot believe that I am in the minority in this.
                          So do I, and so does Ree. You are being deliberately thick at this point, as it's been explained to you over and over and OVER again.

Stop being such a goddamn martyr. No one's buying it.

Comment

I hate having to close threads. It's not fair to those who follow the rules and avoid personal attacks.

Apologies to those of you who were enjoying the debate and behaving themselves.

Comment

I don't know why I am responding, but you obviously missed the part where I acknowledged that I PERSONALLY BELIEVE that homsexuality is innate, and is not a choice, and I do not discriminate based on sexuality.

You have chosen to ignore everything I have said regarding my own personal Catholic faith, in this thread and in 2 other separate threads where you also debated me, just to further your own vendetta against Catholicism and Christianity.

I have stated numerous times, but will state it again, even though I know it falls on deaf ears and a closed mind, that my problem with this priest was NOT his sexuality.
                              I was upset by the breaking of his vows, and his going against all that he had previously taught us.

Have I cut this man from my life?
                              No.

Do I feel he deserves to burn in hell?
                              No. I have seen what he has done on the streets, ministering to the dregs of society that everyone else has forgotten.

You do not know me.
                              You do not know my heart, and you do not know my personal relationship with God.
                              You do not see me in my everyday life and how I interact with others.

I find your words here completely contradictory to what you posted here in this thread:

I don't believe that most religions do teach love and promote peace.
                              I judge them by what their followers do, not by what they may say.
                              ..and yet, here you are judging when you refuse to see what I, as a follower do, because you DON'T EVEN KNOW ME beyond words on a message board.
                              Point to Ponder:

Comment

Working...
                              X