Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired for being Wiccan

http://www.examiner.com/x-18484-Sacr...and-Body-Works

New manager asks her why she has to take off the same days off every year, and she explains about Samhain and that she's a Wiccan.

Her manager replied, “that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, let me ask you where your priorities should have been?” Uberti asked what was so ridiculous and was told, “Well, you will need a new career in your new year” and “I will be damned if I have a devil-worshipper on my team.” Uberti was fired shortly after the phone call.

I just left a comment on that page. I used the name "Adrian I."

Personally, I don't think it's fair to lash out against the entire company over it. As I said in my comment on that page, if I had a business as big as BBW, I'm sure I'd end up unintentionally employing a few jerks, too.

Comment

You kind of have to because the girl should be given her job back and the manager in question fired for discrimination.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
        You kind of have to because the girl should be given her job back and the manager in question fired for discrimination.
        I agree. A company that big isnt going to listen to a little bit of bitching, but they will pay attention if their profits go down.

Comment

I imagine that pagan woman is going to make some lawyer somewhere very, very happy. And rightly so.

I am assuming this company does not discriminate based on religion? At least on paper somewhere? That should be a slam dunk in a courtroom for her on adiscriminaton suit.

Comment

Huh. I'm pagan (although in regards to my professional life I keep that aspect private)...and when I worked at BBW a few years ago my manager was pagan, too; she was, without a doubt, the best boss I ever had. Actually, when it comes to retail I was happiest at BBW. This is more of a fluke than a common occurence.

...however, I'm a little leery about going to Salem for Samhain. I love Salem for the shops and such, but on Halloween it's more like a drunken mob house filled with prostitots and frat boys, not the ideal place for honoring those loved and lost.

Not to mention I have a bug up my ass because Salem is famous because a few bratty girls played make believe and people got greedy for the lands of their neighbors, not because it really is the mecca for pagans...but that's just me.
            Last edited by shroo; 11-18-2009, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shroo View Post

Not to mention I have a bug up my ass because Salem is famous because a few bratty girls played make believe and people got greedy for the lands of their neighbors, not because it really is the mecca for pagans...but that's just me.
              I know, right? The whole thing that made the Salem Witch Trials so messed up was the fact that none of these poor people were witches. ( I mean, not that that would have made it okay, but you know what I mean.)

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                none of these poor people were witches.
                So what your saying if those people were witches it would be ok?

J/K

No I agree though people treat it as if it is this big pagan destination which really is kind of morbid for the simple fact that it truly has nothing to do with pagan anything except for the fodder for a ton of fantasies all based in the area.
                Last edited by Boozy; 11-18-2009, 12:55 AM. Reason: fixed quote tags
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

I know, right? The whole thing that made the Salem Witch Trials so messed up was the fact that none of these poor people were witches.
                  Thankfully there are a few museums who go "Look, this is the basis of witchcraft <insert really cool exhibits on herbs and meditations and the like>. The Salem Witch Trials had nothing to do with witchcraft, it was all politics. Thank you very much, buy a t-shirt."

It's just too bad there are far more assholes who profit on the sensationalism, but that's a rant for another time.
                  Sorry for the threadjack.

Comment

( I mean, not that that would have made it okay, but you know what I mean.)
                    Evidently, you DON'T know what I mean.

No. It would not have made it right. See above statment. Again.

My point is that none of the people that were hanged, and in one case crushed to death, were witches, although that was what they were charged with. If they had been, it still would have been horrible, but at least it would explain why it it now "the Witch City."

That Salem is now a mecca for witchcraft makes no sense, unless you factor in that there is $$$ to be made cashing in on the horrific history of the place. There were no more witches in Salem than there were in any other place in history. There were just more bored schoolgirls and stupid, evil adults.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. The stuff you have to spell out and include a power point presentation for around here....
                    Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 11-18-2009, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Evidently, you DON'T know what I mean.
                      If you meant this:

You missed this:
                      J/K
                      If not, I'm not sure what you were directing it towards.
                      Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

J/K
                        Uhm, RK, I think you missed an essential part of jackfaire's post, there. Bolded and highlighted for your benefit. What was that about a powerpoint?

Comment

Am I missing something? I'm not seeing something here.

Comment

Am I missing something? I'm not seeing something here.
                            J/K = Just kidding, is I'm assuming what you're missing.
                            Any comment I make should not be taken as an absolute, unless I say it should be. Even this one.

Comment

Oh.

You know what? I have this terrible habit. If I see something I don't understand written like that, my brain does not even register it. Most acronyms (or stuff like this) might as well be written with invisible ink.

I mean, you guys kept putting it in front of me, and for the life of me, I was not getting it.

Sorry, JackFaire. Didn't mean to get irritated with you. I just didn't understand what you were saying. I can be a little dense.

Comment

Working...
                              X