No announcement yet.

A question for christians accepting of homosexuality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your third quote, citing the "golden rule," seems to me to call for equality for all people. Which, in the current discussion, suggests that if you want to be allowed to marry whoever you wish, others should be allowed to do the same.
    Well, it depends on how you apply it; remember the joke, "I used to know someone who tried to put the golden rule into practice, and everybody hated him for it. Whatever happened to Bill the masochist, anyway?" Used that way, you could claim to be following it by saying that, since you yourself want to be married to someone of the opposite sex, you're free to make that the only option for everyone else. It wouldn't be *right,* but so little is.

As for loving the sinner and hating the sin, again, done right it makes much more sense. But first off, you have to make sure that the "sin" is actually sinful. Assuming it is, though, saying it's hypocritical is exactly like saying it's hypocritical to continue loving your child, who's taken up stealing candy from the checkout line, unless you love theft too.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      Well, it depends on how you apply it; remember the joke, "I used to know someone who tried to put the golden rule into practice, and everybody hated him for it. Whatever happened to Bill the masochist, anyway?" Used that way, you could claim to be following it by saying that, since you yourself want to be married to someone of the opposite sex, you're free to make that the only option for everyone else. It wouldn't be *right,* but so little is.
      Which is why I actually prefer the Silver Rule: do NOT do unto others what you would NOT have them do unto you. It's a lot less intrusive. But the Golden Rule was quoted, so I based my response on that. Either way, silver or gold, I consider it more of a guideline than a rule.

...saying it's hypocritical is exactly like saying it's hypocritical to continue loving your child, who's taken up stealing candy from the checkout line, unless you love theft too.
      But stealing is a behavior. Homosexuality is part of what a person is. It's like saying you hate that your child is left-handed. Depending on what research you look at, it may be more likely that homosexuality is genetically inherited than handedness.
      "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

• And THAT is where the heart of the problem is, methinks. There are so many misguided people in the world, especially in Christianity, who think homosexuality IS a behavior.

I have no idea how to counteract this, except for education and lots of time.

Comment

• To my way of thinking (granted, I'm not a Christian), even if homosexuality were a behavior or a choice, there would still be nothing wrong with it.
          "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

• ...saying it's hypocritical is exactly like saying it's hypocritical to continue loving your child, who's taken up stealing candy from the checkout line, unless you love theft too.
            But stealing is a behavior. Homosexuality is part of what a person is. It's like saying you hate that your child is left-handed. Depending on what research you look at, it may be more likely that homosexuality is genetically inherited than handedness.
            I AGREE with you on that point. I know very well what homosexuality itself is, and I do not believe acting on it to be sinful except where opposite-sex behavior would also be sinful. But then that's a *misapplication* of "hate the sin, love the sinner;" the principle stands. The *principle* is the same as hating theft, even when it's done by someone you love; or better still, hating the fact that your child is a thief precisely *because* you love your child and want him to turn out well.

The trouble comes from people who think they know more than they do throwing in sins that aren't and then saying "we love you but you need to change." From their side, they are (some of them, anyway) legitimately loving the "sinner" while hating the "sin," but since they're wrong on both counts the effect is the same as the outright hatred coming from those who only use the phrase as a cover.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• HYHYBT: So if I understand correctly, you don't think that homosexuality is a sin, and you don't think the idea of "hate the sin, love the sinner" should be applied to it.

Comment

• Right on both counts

Comment

• Anyone who says 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell
                  CURSES! My plan to become an over the top 1950s serial villain has been foiled again!
                  "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                  ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

• Originally posted by Seshat View Post
                    The second most important commandment is like it: 'Love your neighbour as you love yourself.'
                    Handjobs for everyone!

It's a death-penalty sin to be gay.
                    It's also a death-penalty sin to wear a poly-cotton blend t-shirt or eat shellfish.
                    Why aren't there fanatical christian groups picketing Gap stores and burning down Red Lobsters all across America?

Comment

• Originally posted by infinitemonkies View Post
                      It's a death-penalty sin to be gay.
                      It's also a death-penalty sin to wear a poly-cotton blend t-shirt or eat shellfish.
                      Why aren't there fanatical christian groups picketing Gap stores and burning down Red Lobsters all across America?
                      Lol I got a mental image of sitting at Red Lobster eating with a boyfriend wearing a superhero tshirt and then kissing him on the cheek and having the christian couple next table over freaking cuz omgz they are gay!!!!
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Working...
                      X