Religion bashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aaawww :blush:
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
      Right...yet people constantly feel the need to bash and try to convert me from my misguided ways.

I don't believe I have ever attempted to convert a single soul to what I believe, other than having my daughter baptized into my church. I guided her as far as I could and left the choice to her.
      Problem is there's been a number of evangelicals trying to convert, often by telling people that they're going to hell etc. Evangelicals aren't the main representatives of their faith, but they're the 'in your face' and memorable sort.

It's what people remember, and that's what they react to - bad experiences from others.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
        Taking Christianity for example, bashing other Christians and the Christian Faith because of ass hats like Fred Phelps, Pat Robertson, and Jerry Fallwell is like bashing African-Americans because Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton say something stupid. The existence of the KKK and other white supremacy groups doesn't make all Caucasians automatically racist. But yet, Christians are attacked because of a select few and the sheep that follow them.

CH
        The problem with your example is the vocal majority. There is a large group of African Americans who are vocal of their dislike of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. There is a huge vocal majority of Caucasians who will denounce the KKK and what they represent.
        When it comes to Phelps or Robertson or Fallwell the majority of Christians stay silent. So while it may only be a select few, the silence of the majority is often viewed as agreement, or at the very least, a lack of disagreement.

Go away and leave me in peace.
        Right...yet people constantly feel the need to bash and try to convert me from my misguided ways.
        Sadly Ree, those two sentences are used as reactions to the extremes of both sides. The Mormon church still tries to get me to give up my 'evil' ways... our legislature every year tries to legislate Mormonism (or at least its tenets) on the population of this state. Don't believe me, ask anyone in Davis county why parks and rec doesn't have any activities on Monday night... the county made it illegal because Monday night is when all the families should be having family home evening (that law may have been overturned, I haven't kept up on the politics of Davis county). I can't walk through downtown without having missionaries stop me to ask if I've 'heard the good word'. Hell, until I put up a pride flag they'd pound on the door to try to talk to me.
        The problem is, at this point, I realize that those on my side of the debate are going to far, but I (along with most moderates) don't feel the desire to reel them back in, because the other side of the debate does nothing to pull their extremists back in. Most likely neither side will make the first move, and we'll all just have to deal with it until this eternal war ends (which it likely won't).
        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
          When it comes to Phelps or Robertson or Fallwell the majority of Christians stay silent. So while it may only be a select few, the silence of the majority is often viewed as agreement, or at the very least, a lack of disagreement.
          I really hope I read that wrong. Every single person I have ever met who heard the absurd, painful words of these attention-grubbing assholes has been disgusted, shocked, revolted. The only problem is - the majority of people do not have TV shows or easy public and media access the way these dickheads do. How are they supposed to protest as loudly? How are all the Christians in the world supposed to make their voices heard?

I don't like the Catholic church or what their religion is based on. But Christians themselves are, in general, good people, because they're normal people. Don't let what a few assholes have done to you colour your view of so many others, smiley.

Comment

The STD, notice I said silent majority. Intelectually I know that most Christians don't approve of the wing nuts, but they have no vocal presence. They don't have a strong vocal leadership.
            And in fairness, even my most diehard mormon friends understand how the actions of those who I have had dealings with has turned me against the church.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
              Problem is there's been a number of evangelicals trying to convert, often by telling people that they're going to hell etc. Evangelicals aren't the main representatives of their faith, but they're the 'in your face' and memorable sort.
              Its also the negative you see plastered all over the news.

Take Christianity for example:

When was the last time you saw on the news a big story about a Christian charity (other than the Haiti earthquake) rebuilding a community? A church donating money to a charity or hosting a blood drive?

Never because it's not good news.

Yet, someone who does terror / fear in the name of Christianity (like Eric Rudolph) or Evangelists who bring the religion a bad name are all over the news.

The constant bad press feeds many people (who can't think for themselves) a bad impression of the religion as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by draggar View Post

The constant bad press feeds many people (who can't think for themselves) a bad impression of the religion as a whole.
                biased much?
                I'd agree with that sentiment on Islam without hesitation (I have seriously seen news stations mention that a robbery suspect was Muslim... I don't know what that has to do with the story, but it makes good sensationalistic news).
                I can't speak for where you live in, but in Utah every news agency other than the Tribune always publish the stories that make the religion look good. Then the Tribune calls the church on it's bullshit (yeah, we really believe that you have no plans for that $25million plot of land you just purchased... uh huh, I also have some beach front property in the western desert to sell you, or yeah, we think the folks over at the City Weekly are stupid but we doubt any of them are stupid enough to grope each other on Church property... give us the tape)

Let's face it, with the exception of disaster relief stories the only stories about the religion are when church leadership members screw up royally (which they do often... I still can't get over the Catholic church's policy of removing priests if they molested MORE THAN one child...)
                To be blunt, Christianity has become the Wal-Mart of the religious world. No matter how much good they do they will always be tainted by the greed and corruption of members of management. Hell, I can expand that analogy further... just as Wal-Mart tailors their stores to the community they are in (a lesson they learned in Europe), Christianity is more than happy to adjust the the prejudices of the community it is in. Hate gays, well we have a church for you. Hate those with dark skin, we have a church for you. Hate the thought of learning English, we have a church for you. Hate reading lips, we have a church for you. Hate homophobes we have a church for you. Not all prejudices are bad, but the fastest growth is in the sects that pander to the bigots.

And I'll be perfectly honest, I am biased beyond belief. I try to present unbiased arguments, but my bias will always show through. In my lifetime the church has brought me only one good thing... a tax deduction that I couldn't claim anyway because I didn't make enough money. Bad things include having my trust violated, being lied to, and being told over and over again, quite bluntly, that I am a horrible person because of how their so called "god" created me.

... and I'm sadly not the only one... I'm sadly not even part of a small group.

Comment

So where is this huge, vocal majority of african americans decrying Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson that gets itself on TV on the time?

Please note that the focus on that sentence is ON TV. African Americans bucking the stereotype don't get media attention, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Fryk View Post
                    So where is this huge, vocal majority of african americans decrying Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson that gets itself on TV on the time?

Please note that the focus on that sentence is ON TV. African Americans bucking the stereotype don't get media attention, either.
                    You're right, Whoopi Goldberg gets no time whatsoever on TV, nor does Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, nor Tiger Woods... while I don't remember any of them speaking out against Al Sharpton, they don't follow the "black stereotype". Let's be honest, Tiger Woods with his little affair has out white guyed most white guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X