Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay Exorcisms

http://www.details.com/culture-trend...ame_height=300

This is just... it's just... it's... gah. The thought that somewhere, someone is concerned about demons inhabiting my anal cavity, the fact that people voluntarily inflict this on themselves, and worse inflict it on their CHILDREN!!!

I'm squicked. I need a moment... discuss.

Hmm, it seems to be among Pentecostal churches...I'm not familiar with their belief systems. I've seen similar "exorcisms" on TV before for casting out other demons etc. It seems silly to me, especially since the Church rarely performs exorcisms now (the movie portrays it quite accurately w/ Father Keernan[sic] explaining how the Church doesn't really do it anymore).

Comment

oh... my...wtf... Oh in the name of ever thing good... wtf... I think my damn brain exploded... who... Ok I believe in God.. but this this is what is wrong with religion...*I know some faiths, branches, groups are different* I mean on the whole... the big picture... For cripes sake... ok need time to formulate my brain...

Ug.. just wrong.

Comment

What. The. Hell. WHEN will these people realize different =/= demon possessed? My god. They are ABUSING these people because they aren't attracted to the people they think they should be. Why is no one challenging this?
        Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow, for I may not lead. Just go over there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by KnitShoni View Post
          What. The. Hell. WHEN will these people realize different =/= demon possessed? My god. They are ABUSING these people because they aren't attracted to the people they think they should be. Why is no one challenging this?
          "Before it could be construed as child abuse, some kind of empirical or scientific case would have to be made that exorcisms cause harm," Drescher says.

Comment

because the people abusing their power are "representatives of the Lord" and far too many people can't tell the different between the big man and his underlings...
            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Anyone who sends their child to a "straight camp" or subjects them to one of these "exorcisms" should be charged with child abuse. The psychological torment they must go through would be tremendous.

Comment

This. This right here is why I am still not comfortable being gay.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                  "Before it could be construed as child abuse, some kind of empirical or scientific case would have to be made that exorcisms cause harm," Drescher says.
                  Are you just talking physical, or would you include psychological? For the physical, I would think pressing your hands or FEET into someone's abdomen hard enough and often enough to make them vomit could be construed as causing harm. For the psychological, well, these people are being told they are infested with demons, that they are unclean. And they are told this over and over again. Remember, this is not a one time and you're done. The boy, Kevin, in the article, underwent TEN exorcisms.
                  Do not lead, for I may not follow. Do not follow, for I may not lead. Just go over there somewhere.

Comment

Are you just talking physical, or would you include psychological? For the physical, I would think pressing your hands or FEET into someone's abdomen hard enough and often enough to make them vomit could be construed as causing harm. For the psychological, well, these people are being told they are infested with demons, that they are unclean. And they are told this over and over again. Remember, this is not a one time and you're done. The boy, Kevin, in the article, underwent TEN exorcisms.
                    I have no idea what Drescher means. Although, from the sound of it, I would think that a psychological evaluation of several exorcism subjects would be required, and documented proof of their abuse (psychological trauma) would have to be empirically catalogued, explained and diagnosed.

Comment

Holy hell!
                      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people...

Comment

Originally posted by tropicsgoddess View Post
                        Holy hell!
                        *smirks* Sorry I saw your signature and thought

"There are no stupid demons just stupid exorcisms"
                        Jack Faire
                        Friend
                        Father
                        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                          This. This right here is why I am still not comfortable being gay.
                          You aren't the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                            You aren't the only one.
                            Again with the orphanarium...

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                              Again with the orphanarium...
                              I'm confused as to how a place for the care of orphans has anything to do with one's comfort or lack their of with their orientation...

Comment

Working...
                              X