X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another teacher fired from a religious school

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...ery%2F19515382

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/articl...ation/19509791

two links about the same story. basically widowed teacher has sex with her now hubby 3 weeks before they were married and conceives (unknow to her at that time). woman give births and goes into the school administration to request leave. bright admin questions when the baby was born and figures out that the teacher must have had "pre-martial" sex. the teacher admits to this "indiscression". teacher swiftly fired for "not following outside of work" policies.

now here is the kicker: School then announces to the whole world (all of the teacher's students AND PARENTS) why she was terminated

Ok I get some of the restrictive policies that religious schools have on their staff. but how far can they go???? esp if it may violate confidential information or things that happen outside of "work". Yeah I get we all have signed some sort of form in our work lives that have restrictions for "on the job" type stuff but how far can even a religious organization go to mandate out of work behavior.

but apparently the teacher claims she was not made fully aware of these restrictive "policies" and claims she was not under formal contract with the school.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

I think she has one hell of a lawsuit against the "school".

Besides - what is this school teaching the children if they're this strict?

Comment

The school is saying that she agreed to their conditions of employment. The teacher is saying that she never signed a contract.

Unless the school can present a piece of paper with this particular policy on it, with the teacher's signature, then I don't think they're going to win. Regular anti-discrimination laws would apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
        The school is saying that she agreed to their conditions of employment. The teacher is saying that she never signed a contract.

Unless the school can present a piece of paper with this particular policy on it, with the teacher's signature, then I don't think they're going to win. Regular anti-discrimination laws would apply.
        there's actually been a huge talk down under about religious schools being allowed to refuse employment to gay people.

Thankfully most of the whingers on the AdelaideNow website see some common sense on that one and have pointed out that if they are going to restrict them, that the schools get ZERO funding from the government.

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy View Post
          Not only that, but she could probably tack on some extra for the embarrassment, suffering, and loss of reputation from the school announcing the reason behind the termination. At every place I've worked, the reason behind a termination was always confidential.

Comment

Hmm, I don't see how she could have been hired without signing a contract. Unless private schools work differently in their hiring policies. However, if their policy does state that, then they have the right to do so, no matter how backwards one must think it. It's called freedom of religion, not "freedom to not be offended." I kind of see it from a government point of view; if you screw up, pretty much everyone will learn about it, and they don't have to keep things confidential if it's deemed to be in the best interest not to be.

Comment

The letter said she agreed in her job application to uphold the school's values.
              Talk about vague. Were these values spelled out somewhere word for word?

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbs View Post
                Hmm, I don't see how she could have been hired without signing a contract. Unless private schools work differently in their hiring policies. However, if their policy does state that, then they have the right to do so, no matter how backwards one must think it. It's called freedom of religion, not "freedom to not be offended." I kind of see it from a government point of view; if you screw up, pretty much everyone will learn about it, and they don't have to keep things confidential if it's deemed to be in the best interest not to be.
                Private schools are, for all intents and purposes, businesses and should be treated as such in the eyes of the law. It's been deemed you can't fire someone from a business for this kind of reason. Freedom of religion is a personal protection, not a protection for businesses. Unless they actually have a signature on a piece of paper that states that she will not commit such conduct and they have a list of conduct that is unacceptable, the school is screwed and rightfully so.

Plus the school had no right to announce to the world why they fired her.
                Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  Plus the school had no right to announce to the world why they fired her.
                  This times a million. What the woman did in her personal life has no bearing on her ability to perform her job. This school apparently sought to punish a sinner by tarnishing her reputation to make it more difficult for her to find work (hang on, isn't there something about sinners and stones in the New Testament?) After all, she's a sinner! She might corrupt the children!

Comment

I almost took a job that would have required me to be in church every sunday.

Any business can fire anyone for violating the policies however at least in my state it is illegal for a business to tell anyone else (with the exception of Unemployment department) why they were let go, fired whatever.

All they can do is state what the dates of employment were and that the person did in fact work there. If that is the case in her area then she should at least be able to sue for that.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

Hmm, I don't see how she could have been hired without signing a contract.
                      I agree, and I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't a signed contract. The question is whether or not there is a clause that specfically prohibits sex outside of marriage.

I doubt it. I suspect there's either a bit about "upholding the school's values", which can be interpreted in various ways, or nothing at all.

Besides, I don't know how employment law works in her state, but we have certain laws here that over-ride any and all contracts. You simply cannot sign away certain rights here in Ontario. A clause that unduly restricts an employee's freedom outside of the workplace may be considered unlawful, and that clause would be null-and-void.

Comment

Here's the thing to think about as well: in most situations, regardless of whatever the contract says, discrimination laws will always come first.
                        So if she was fired for either a) pregnancy or b) religious freedom, then she'd most likely have a case.
                        If the school wanted to put those sort of restrictions on its staff members, would it need to apply for an exemption? I'm just wondering as I'm aware that in Australian law, you can apply for exemptions on discriminatory measures as long as you have a damn good reason behind it.

Comment

It's a religious school, so it doesn't have to follow freedom of religion.

Comment

It's a religious school, so it doesn't have to follow freedom of religion.
                            Not convinced about that. It has to follow the laws of the land. Not sure entirely about the laws over there regarding this, but if there's a special exception for religious schools then fine, but I'd be surprised if there were.

Rapscallion
                            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                              Not convinced about that. It has to follow the laws of the land. Not sure entirely about the laws over there regarding this, but if there's a special exception for religious schools then fine, but I'd be surprised if there were.
                              It only works if they receive absolutely zero funding from the government. If a private school receives even one penny of federal or state money, then they are required to follow all laws and regulations.

Comment

Working...
                              X