Another Brick in the wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Brick in the wall

I am putting this in the Religion section because it DOES show that Muslims are beginning to respond to extreamists.

I just got finished reading the Mosque Near the WTC site thread and did not want to threadjack it.

I was listending to the CBC's As It Happends program (we get it through our local Public Radio network) on Wendsday last week I think and this story came on. the story summary is about 4 stories down.

http://www.cbc.ca/radioshows/AS_IT_H...20100811.shtml

The band may be called Blurred Vision, but its members have their sights clearly set on a target -- the government of Iran.

The Toronto-based group is led by a pair of Iranian exiled brothers named Sepp and Sohl. And they've reworked the classic Pink Floyd song "Another Brick in the Wall" to take aim at the clerical leadership of their homeland.

The song's enduring refrain -- "Hey! Teacher! Leave those Kids Alone!" -- has been modified in the cover version as a challenge to Iran's ayatollahs, rather than to the faceless schoolmaster of the original.

It's a change sanctioned by none other than Roger Waters himself.

Yesterday, on his Facebook page The Wall, the Pink Floyd frontman posted the following message: "I think it's great that these guys are using the song to protest against the repressive and brutal regime in Iran. I am proud to be a small part of this resistance."

And Waters isn't the only high-profile artist to get behind the brothers' vision. Legendary producer Terry Brown -- best known for his work with Canadian rockers Rush -- has signed on to the project. And acclaimed Iranian-Canadian film director Babak Payami agreed to direct the video for the song, free of charge. It's become a YouTube sensation, with well over two-hundred-thousand hits.

Here now is Blurred Vision, with their distinct rendition of "Another Brick in the Wall."
    youtube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIP38eq-ywc

and it is up over 300K views now
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

I was friends with someone from Iran when I was in college (almost 15 years ago). This attitude is nothing new. She said the younger generation wanted things like McDonalds, Levi jeans, "western" music (rock, country, etc..). A McDonalds was going to open up near her in Teheran but the govenrment shut it down and they replaced with with an Iranian version.

I'm sure it is only a matter of time when the fanatical (fascist?) regime loses it's power / influence over the younger generation. The question is - how will the turnover be and will it be soon enough to stop an inevitable war in the middle east?

Comment

It's more or less when they die off...the ones who will follow will become more relaxed over time. They're not going to admit they're wrong, but old age is no respecter of "right-ness". perceived or real.
      Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
      Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

Just reading what you posted seems to indicate that this thread belongs in politics, rather than religion. It sounds like a story where young people are fighting against their government, and all players in the story happen to be Muslims.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_on_High View Post
          It's more or less when they die off...the ones who will follow will become more relaxed over time.
          Do we know if this modern attitude is the norm or an exception?

Sadly, the attitudes of their fathers is the same of their ancestors; it gets passed down from one generation to the next.
          "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
          -- OMM 0000

Comment

Working...
          X