Something I think bares reading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ghel View Post
    GK, it seems I owe you an apology. I honestly didn't see the joke. (I will admit that I tend to deconstruct jokes after I've laughed at them.) The statement about preferring the Zeus option did seem out of character for you, however.
    Being a sarcastic bastard, its quite in character for me. <cough>

By perferring the Zeus option I mean that historically speaking its more interesting culturally because you get all these stories, myths, folklore, legends, etc that emerged to try and explain things. Legends are basically the original scientific method. When it seemed perfectly plausible the sky was trying to kill us so we should build a temple to it in the hopes of avoiding its wrath. I don't mean we should all convert to...er...Zeusism now.

Over the course of civilization, an imagination + a lack of understanding has led to a rather rich culture that I think benefits us regardless. Even if we know better these days. Though to think we may not be equally as ignorant of somethings these days is likely fairly arrogant on our part.

For all we know, another 2000 years from now we'll all be looking back, chuckling and shaking our heads about how some people thought God was really some bearded dude that lived in the sky. When he was actually a vast interdimensional alien intelligence we now refer to as Lord Xendar. Whilst we toil away collecting liquid methane for the lantern festival at the Grand Temple of Titan. ;p

Comment

Working...
    X