Revolution Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revolution Church

I heard an interview with the pastor of this church, Jay Bakker (son of the infamous Jim and Tammy Faye), on the radio the other day. It was rather intriguing. He believes that much if not all of the supposedly anti homosexuality scriptures were mistranslated. According to him, they were actually referring to male prostitution. He even mentions Leviticus and says you have to take it in the context of the times, reminding people that no one speaks against eating shellfish today. He also points out, that Jesus never spoke out against homosexuals. The main things He spoke against were legalism and judgmentalism. Two consenting adults loving each other didn't seem to be high on His list of 'bad things.'

The church itself sounds interesting. It's held in a bar in New York City. From the sounds of it, it's aimed at the people who don't fit the stereotypical suit and tie or nice dress church goer. Of course, people forget that Jesus himself didn't hang out with the upper crust of Galilean society. In fact, the people he did associate with probably would have been more comfortable in a bar than in an ornate cathedral.

Frankly, 99% of religious jackassery is just people using one line or phrase, often out of context, to justify their own bigotry and dickery. Though its nice to hear someone from a US church actually acknowledge that.

Comment

I'm with Gravekeeper.

It really is nice to see someone affiliated with a church standing up and saying that the message got garbled during the millennia-long game of telephone that's it's gone through.

Especially when the message being taught is about tolerance and acceptance and not one of hate and fear.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's kind of what I was thinking. If I'm ever in New York, I plan on checking this church out. One of the things I liked too is instead of taking up an offering, they tell everyone to tip the bartender on the way out.

Comment

They've got more than the one chapter. Plus, their sermons are posted to their website at http://www.revolutionnyc.com.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

lol, that would be awesome to have down here!

Comment

Very interesting.

I've never found anyone who was able to give me an answer as to why that one oft-quoted passage of Leviticus is still important, while the many others in it are not. Most I ask have no answer. The only answer I have gotten, I don't put much in: the person said "The other passages of Leviticus are outdated"

Comment

I went to high school with Jay. For the longest time, I doubted his intentions when I heard he had started his own Church. He was not the religious type and enjoyed the spoils of his parents work far too much.

I like the message that he's sharing, but there's a part of me that doesn't trust him. I know it's very un-Christian of me, but I haven't had the opportunity to see if he has changed or if he's more and more like his father.
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

One explanation I've heard for why no one decries shellfish yet still thinks homosexuality is wrong is because of a quotation by Jesus that says the passages that contain the shellfish prohibition are now invalid (or something to that effect). For some reason, the gay part didn't get included in this.

Comment

Having never known Jay Bakker personally, I cannot say for sure if he's truly changed or not. However, Crashhelmet, he does have a facebook page. Maybe he'd enjoy hearing from an old classmate. Then, you could decide for yourself.

Comment

I'll go for anything I can get. I say more power to him. If he's doing the right thing for the wrong reason, at least its still the right thing.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

I actually remember reading about Him, or another televangelist/big name evangelist preacher's son.

IIRC the whole idea is that most "normal churches" don't like/wouldn't like havign the people he preaches to (goths, punks, street kids, the "outcasts.)

Oddly enough it made me actually think about going towards the ministry.

Comment

Working...
                        X