Why The Ruling In Favor Of Westboro Church Is A Victory for Gay Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why The Ruling In Favor Of Westboro Church Is A Victory for Gay Rights

This sounds counter-intuitive. The Westboro Church group are vicious homophobic bastards. But this is actually a GOOD thing that they're allowed to continue. Letting them 'get away with it' is a win for gay rights, and everyone who supports it should be celebrating.

The biggest gun in the arsenal of the anti-gay crowd has been that by giving rights to gays, we're taking them away from non-gays. That if we let gays marry, churches will be forced to perform homosexual weddings. If we give gay people rights under the law, we won't be allowed to preach that they're evil.

This has proven that the government doesn't care if you're preaching against gay people.

And therefore, though it doesn't completely remove that weapon, it at least takes some of the punch out of it.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

I'm pretty sure if the court ruled against the church, it'd still be a major victory for Gay Rights. Nothing would still have been taken away from heterosexuals and though Westboro Church would disagree, everyone else would continue to think they are retarded.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      I'm pretty sure if the court ruled against the church, it'd still be a major victory for Gay Rights. Nothing would still have been taken away from heterosexuals and though Westboro Church would disagree, everyone else would continue to think they are retarded.
      Yes, but the evangelical preachers would have something to shout about. It would give them ammunition.

By re-affirming the right to free speech, even stupid and hateful free speech, it takes a lot out of the sails of claims that giving gays rights will lead to anti-gay pastors being suppressed.

Comment

But they were shouting about it anyway and will continue to do so. If anything, this encourages them to be louder.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I have and will continue to say. No matter how stupid, asinine, etc what you say is .. you should have a right to say it. Once we begin limiting what we can and can not say, it is a very slippery slope. Because somebody is going to disagree with what somebody else says regardless..so where does it stop? When people can say "A", "And", "The" now wait..somebody might get upset at that also.

You should be able to say anything you want. Regardless if it is calling the current Government Sissy Nancy boys, or yes..even the vile that is spewed forth by the WBC. Just as the people who they protest against should feel free to say how brain dead the WBC is. Words only have the power we give them. We refuse to let the WBC affect our lives, they can do nothing with their words. It's when we focus on them, let them dictate things..that they win. We give their words strength by paying attention to them, instead of treating them like the noise they are.

Comment

And therefore, though it doesn't completely remove that weapon, it at least takes some of the punch out of it.
            Only to those who are thoughtful and honest. You know many aren't.

I do agree with the decision, though, for the nothing that's worth.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Meanwhile, in Canada, our criminal code and humans right act completely prohibits this sort of shit. Even on the Internet. It's up to a $20,000 fine and 2-14 years in jail. Hence the Westboro cock gophers are not even allowed into our country and if they were, they'd be arrested and fined out the ass. While in the US, they parade around trolling just hoping someone will say or do something so they can sue.

Free speech is a noble ideal, to a point.
              Last edited by Gravekeeper; 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM.

Comment

This just means it's legal to publicly discriminate against gay people.

Comment

Only to those who are thoughtful and honest. You know many aren't.
                  True, but many are. Those who are not thoughtful and honest will never be convinced. This is a victory for those who are.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                    This just means it's legal to publicly discriminate against gay people.
                    It just confirms that as an American, you have the right, and always have, to publicly display how much of a bigoted prick you are.

That's the funny thing about personal freedoms. While they protect you, who would never do such terrible things (of course), they also protect those who would.

An outstanding article at NPR

Some highlights:

* Chief Justice John Roberts, writing for the 8-1 majority ... "Such speech cannot be restricted," he said, "simply because it is upsetting or arouses contempt."
                    * Maybe every generation needs a case to learn that the First Amendment is tested and grows stronger when it defends speech that's unpopular, even reprehensible.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                      That's the funny thing about personal freedoms. While they protect you, who would never do such terrible things (of course), they also protect those who would.

* Maybe every generation needs a case to learn that the First Amendment is tested and grows stronger when it defends speech that's unpopular, even reprehensible.
                      Gotta disagree with you. Like I said, its illegal up here and in most of Europe too I believe. I don't think its really done American society any favours. Especially as of late. If anything its hurt your reputation in the world by letting cock gophers like that run around saying and doing such utterly reprehensible things.

Comment

Feel free to disagree.

In fact, if you were down here, you'd have every right to disagree as strenuously and publicly as you liked without fear of censure, no matter your views.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That is in fact kind of the point.

It disturbs me to have any speech censured, because that means that someone has the power to decide what speech is and isn't appropriate, and then you basically have to rely on the people in power being fair and open minded.

Comment

ye gads! I'm agreeing with gravekeeper. Sorry but I believe hate speech should be illegal, as sadly there are some without enough brainpower to logically process it and will act on it(Matthew Shepherd's murderers come to mind), and it allows for the "gay panic defense"(seriously it is a legal defense against murder of a homosexual/transgender person-look it up), by homophobes. I guess I'm un-american.....
                            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                              It disturbs me to have any speech censured, because that means that someone has the power to decide what speech is and isn't appropriate, and then you basically have to rely on the people in power being fair and open minded.
                              The slippery slope argument holds no water to be honest because the scenario you imply would never work in a democratic country. Add to that, that we, and many European countries, tend to have a parlimentary system instead of your winner take all for 4 years system. The Canadian people can bring down their government at any time if they so wish.

We haven't become a facist police state over hate speech law anymore than we became a den of lust and moral decay after we passed gay marriage years ago.

Hate speech law is very specific. It essentially says you cannot inciate hatred and/or violence against an indentifiably group ( specifically race, culture, gender, sexual orientation, etc ). It can be summed up as "Don't be a fuckhole" for the most part. It has more to do with basic human dignity then censuring.

Comment

Working...
                              X