No announcement yet.

Christianity is Catholic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For your edification, HD, the term you were looking for was "ex cathedra" which means, literally, "from the chair". These are simply statements reaffirming or re-declaring existing Church doctrine, and, hence, the only times when the pope is completely infallible.
    Last edited by Kheldarson; 03-07-2011, 10:42 PM. Reason: grammar fail
    I has a blog!

Comment

HD, a few things, first, playing devils advocate. There is a difference between official church doctrine and popular belief amongst members of a faith. I will take you at your word that the official doctrine is that the Pope is falliable, that does not change that to as least some Catholics he is not. So, saying that their is a belief within Catholacism that the Pope is infalliable while not really true isn't really false either.
      Second, this is one thing I do have to respect about Catholacism, they recognize the Pope as a man, a wise man, but a man non the less. After so long of living in a society where the President of the church is considered to be more than a man, to be a prophet, whose very words are divine and revelation, it is refreshing to hear people recognize that their religious leaders, wise as they are, are still men.

And to Big Giant, one thing I'd like to throw out there. Belief in and following of Christ just means that you believe in and follow Christ. I'd argue that Christ and the church are in fact quite separable. Saying one is Christian implies membership to a church, which in no way guarantees that the person actually understands Christ's teachings. I like how my mother now puts it, "I am no longer a Christian, I am a disciple and follower of Christ".
      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I'm not sure why a declaration of Christianity should automatically imply affiliation with a church any more than saying one is religious automatically implies that they're Christian.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
          I'm not sure why a declaration of Christianity should automatically imply affiliation with a church any more than saying one is religious automatically implies that they're Christian.

^-.-^
          It's human nature to automatically connect a declaration with a common affiliation that it's often connected to.

In this example, being Christian with going to a certain church, or being religious and being Christian. If someone from the Middle East said they were religious, most would assume they are Islamic.

It draws into stereotypes, in making it easy for people to group vague ideas together. It is the duty of the person concluding the stereotype to delve deeper and find more about the subject. Of course, people are lazy so they take it at face value.
          We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.

Comment

I'd argue that Christ and the church are in fact quite separable.
            True!
            Saying one is Christian implies membership to a church...
            Not true. You can, of course, use your own definitions if you spell them out first, but if you take what other people who are not using your custom definitions say as if they were, you're bound to have problems. A Christian is one who believes in and/or follows Christ; this usually involves group participation, but not always, nor does worshipping with a group of people require that they all agree on every point. I am, and have always been, a Christian, and was no less of one during the ten years or so I didn't attend church at all and the two years I spent trying to decide which to settle back into.

On the other hand, if someone doesn't like some of the connotations of the word, they're welcome not to claim it for themselves
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
              My point was the most visible/vocal group (at least in the US) is NOT Catholic.
              Yes..and no. I would safely assume (and I try not to assume anything) that the Pope is the best known religious leader in the world..ie the most visible leader. Also, it is estimated there are 1.5 Billion members (some non practicing of course, or various different 'types' of Catholics) in the world. Also very visible (kind of hard to hide 1.5 billion people).

The Catholic faith is (or maybe was..not sure) THE most powerful and influential christian group. Individuals may not be the most 'vocal', but the collective voices make quite a difference in world politics.

You are correct, however, that in the US this is not the case. Cults..which things like the WBC are..are MUCH more vocal and visible. Its like a car crash..hard to look away from. The thing is, they are most often cults, and no more christian then a chicken can be called christian. Like a LOT of the 'enlightened' (Note: Sarcasm) they cherry pick certain things from the bible..and ignore the rest. Or I guess the 'leader' does, and the rest follow. Their version is the only 'real' version, and everybody else is beneath them. They must share their 'wisdom', by force or shouting loud enough if that is what it takes, to all the poor 'uneducated' masses.

IE The 'ivory tower syndrome' otherwise known as "I know better then anybody else how their life should be ran" syndrome.

Comment

A lot depends on where you are: I've heard it said, jokingly but not without cause, of many parts of Georgia that they have BOTH kinds: Baptist and Pentecostal.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
                  Its the same reason people seem to believe religion = Christianity. The most visible/vocal group wins? *shrugs*. Religion does not have to = Christianity. Christianity does not have to equal Catholic, Catholic does not have to equal zealot.
                  Here's the Aussie English translations.

Muslim=religious nut, believes that Muslim should be the only religion and that we should be a Muslim nation (at which point I tend to point out that there has been no laws passed that say that we must cover ourselves up, fast for a month, pray 5 times a day or make a mass exodus to Mecca)

Christian=Not always Catholic, but generally assumed to be nuts who just want to infringe on certain groups rights. Presume that homosexuality is a lifestyle and it can be changed.

Private school=breeding ground for brainwashing.

Comment

I liken the many religions that look to god of the bible to how we take our coffee

black no sugar = Jewdaism
                    White and Sugar = Christianity
                    and then Catholics and Protestants are in a never ending battle saying that White no sugar or black and sugar are the way to go.

As there are also many more different flavours over in the States this analogy kinda peters out unless you add salt, lemon, artificial sweetners, whiteners into the mix.
                    Decaf is herasy

At the end of the day its still coffee, its how you drink it that matters (to you).
                    And the Pope has as much sway over non Catholics as Ronald McDonald has over KFC

Comment

Working...
                    X