My Problem With Biblical Literalism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
    You think? Because off the top of my head, I would say that the Greek gods, the Norse gods, the Sumerian gods, the Egyptian gods, and the pagan deities of the Rus were much, much, more douchey.
    No no, the Greek gods were more....er....oh whats the term. Wincest? The Norse Gods are a given, I mean, they're *Norse*. No one expected them to be all loving and merciful. The Sumerian gods are arguable reference material for the Abrahamic God. The Egyptian Gods were pretty strange, but I think they were more douchey to each other then anything else.

You're still staying in the realm of Western gods though. Drag in the Eastern ones too. I'm not sure Amaretsu, Quan-Yin or Tara ever murdered anyone's children because Satan said go for it, what the hell, may as well. Shiva might have his moments though.

Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
    I know. That's what makes Him awesome like sauce.
    Well, after he sets your children on fire and gives you genital herpes to prove a point, let us know? -.-

Originally posted by FArchivist View Post
    Buddhism may have logical elements, but there remains the central problems of reincarnation, Nirvana, what is really meant by "right" in the Eightfold Path and so on...
    Yes, of course. Reincarnation has some scant research ( and could use more ) and seems logical enough to me, but if I'm wrong, no biggie ( Buddhism will accept the rule of science, no problem ). Nirvana is an ideal state of being and mind. It is not a place. It's a goal. There's also little debate over what "right" means in the Eightfold path and the possible meanings aren't exactly wildly different. Also, the Eightfold path is a teaching, not a divine proclaimation. It is a tool, and one that even Buddha himself would have encouraged you to examine on your own merits rather then accept at face value.

Buddha never said he was a god and to stfu and listen to him or he would smite you. Buddha was just a mortal man with some good ideas. Much like Jesus probably was in reality, seeing as many of Jesus's sayings and teachings are suspiciously similar. ;p

Comment

• You're still staying in the realm of Western gods though. Drag in the Eastern ones too. I'm not sure Amaretsu, Quan-Yin or Tara ever murdered anyone's children because Satan said go for it, what the hell, may as well. Shiva might have his moments though.
      You didn't say that the Christian God was only worse than Eastern gods, though.

He was pointing out that there are a lot of worse Gods out there.

Also, the thesis of this thread is that the Bible SHOULDN'T be taken as a literal historic document, but rather as a collection of stories that taken as a whole get to the meaning.
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
        He was pointing out that there are a lot of worse Gods out there.
        Of course there are, but you have to compare along the lines supposedly "Good" deities to make a fair comparison. In which case, Old Testament God is pretty high on the bastard scoreboard. Greek Gods for example weren't exactly bastions of goodliness, they were personified natural forces/events or traits that man tried to appease. Because really the whole lot of them was pretty damn selfish.

If you want to go along modern lines, as in gods that are still being worshipped in significant numbers, then God actually climbs even higher on the board if you frame him as the Old Testament intends.

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
        Also, the thesis of this thread is that the Bible SHOULDN'T be taken as a literal historic document, but rather as a collection of stories that taken as a whole get to the meaning.
        Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Yes, the thesis of the thread is that it is largely collection of stories, but these stories are also teaching you what God is supposedly like and is the primary reference material for him. You can't go "Here's some stories that will teach you what God wants, just ignore how God actually acts in them because they're stories".

Comment

• Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Yes, the thesis of the thread is that it is largely collection of stories, but these stories are also teaching you what God is supposedly like and is the primary reference material for him. You can't go "Here's some stories that will teach you what God wants, just ignore how God actually acts in them because they're stories".

I apologize for the confusion. I wasn't actually addressing you on that one, hence the bunch of spaces. That's how I try to signify I'm changing subject. I could edit it to say "On a different note" but I don't like editing after someone has responded.

I was trying to see if I could guide the thread back to my original topic, which it has seemed to veer from.

I totally agree with you that in the OT, God was kinda smite-happy.
          Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 04-08-2011, 04:22 AM. Reason: Formatting
          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

• I've always found the comment that the NT God is OT God after he got laid an appropriate one...
            I has a blog!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hyena Dandy
              I was trying to see if I could guide the thread back to my original topic, which it has seemed to veer from.
              Ahhh, ok.

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
              I've always found the comment that the NT God is OT God after he got laid an appropriate one...
              Or sobered up, that's the other theory, ehe

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                Or sobered up, that's the other theory, ehe
                Wouldn't they be tied together? I mean, he sobers up because got a girl knocked up and now has a kid?
                I has a blog!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                  Wouldn't they be tied together? I mean, he sobers up because got a girl knocked up and now has a kid?
                  Think its more that he tried to brush that one off then swore off the booze to make sure it never happened again: "Wait, what? Oh shi- think, think think...um....uh.....oh! I know! Virgin birth! That's the ticket!" >.>

Comment

• *snerk* That's about right.

Or, it's the local woodcutter.

*needs to steal Black and White 2 from her little brothers. then get a better computer*
                    I has a blog!

Comment

Working...
                    X