Evangelism: Well Intentioned Bullying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evangelism: Well Intentioned Bullying

There is a problem that Christians face every day, and its far more complex than it seems. If they believe in a literal version of hell, and that sinners will end up their, they probably also believe that's not a good thing. Christianity teaches compassion, and charity. Therefore, it should also teach us that we want to stop bad things from happening to other people, and therefore, we don't want people to go to hell. If we do want people to go to hell, we're not being... Well, Christian. After all, in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus says "What you have done to the least of my brothers and sisters you have done unto me." By that logic, we should try to prevent as many people from going to hell as possible.

Hypothetically speaking, if you knew that a complete stranger was going to die in a car crash, you'd be remiss not to inform them. The logic behind evangelism is the same.

If a good person genuinely believes that people who do not do or believe a certain thing are going to be killed/tortured/etc, and did NOT try to stop this from happening, they'd be... Well, not as good a person as they think they are.

That covers the well-intentioned part.

But even the most well-intentioned bullying is still bullying. Going door to door trying to win converts, or aggressively marketing your religion is not a good idea. It makes people feel uncomfortable, and offended.

In one thread, Ghel talked about how the atheist billboards were to make people who don't believe in God feel comfortable when they're surrounded by all this pressure to convert.

That would imply that all the messages like "God loves you!" On billboards are having exactly the opposite effect from what we want them to have. And that should have been obvious.

We like to imagine that these boards will reach people who need a message like that. There are so many conversion stories, about how I was doing such-and-such a thing, and their was such and such a thing which brought us to God. I have a story like that myself.

I was at Church because, well, it was late, it was Christmas, I'm an insomniac, and I like walking. I came to a church, and decided to go sit for the service, seeing as it was just starting.

The service involved holding candles, though I'm not sure I remember why. Problem is, I'm pyrophobic. But, since I was in the middle of a pew, I couldn't exactly leave or scream. So I'm doing my best to follow along... But I'm really freaking out about this whole "Holding something that's on fire" thing. For one reason or another, I started praying for help getting through the service. Right when I was doing that, the preachery type told us to open our bibles to... Such and such a chapter and verse. And on that page, someone had, at some point in the past, put a little piece of paper in as a bookmark that had balloons and said "You can do it!"

And I felt so much better, and I decided to be a Christian... Anyway, that's my conversion story.

A lot of people who put up the signs think that they'll be mass-producing serendipity like that. That people will be driving along, having a bad day, and they'll look up and see the sign and be like "Oh, God loves me! I'll be Christian now."

Of course, the problem is, for every one person in a million who happens to be looking in the right direction, at the right time, and in the right mental state to be that affected, there's 999,999 who drive past who are annoyed or are even OFFENDED, and therefore actually made LESS receptive.

We can debate all we want about whether one soul saved is worth it, or whatever, but we'd be missing the point, which is very different. Trying to mass-produce serendipity will is counter-intuitive, and the conversion experience is just as likely to come from a misplaced sticker as it is from a ten thousand dollar billboard.

The thing that people who try to do this miss about those stories is that they all have a common theme. They don't just come at times of trouble. They come at times of trouble, after people have ASKED for it.

I was not forced to go to the church, I just happened to be nearby. While I was forced to hold a candle (I probably could have just said "no candle for me" or something, but I didn't want to stick out), and one could say I was forced to open the bible to such-and-such a page, its unlikely that any of that was part of some grand conspiracy, aimed at me or at the congregation in general.

There was no meeting of pastors or priests or whatever where they all got together and said "You know what we're going to do? We'll make them hold candles, then stick little stickers in their bibles, and when they open them they'll find a sticker and they'll know God thinks they can hold a candle!"

These conversion experiences will only come if someone is asking for them. If we try to shove our faith down people's throats when they don't want it, they'll probably push us (myself, and other Christians), and our message (Go Jesus), away. People who want or need (and I mean for themselves, not in the grand scheme of things) the message of God in their lives will be happy for it. But those who don't want it, or are not at a time when they need something like that, will be annoyed. And continuing to try to MAKE them convert when they don't want to can range from being an annoyance to being harassment in the proper, legal sense of the word.

No matter our intentions, going up to people on the street is not going to work, and is just going to get people upset. And alienating people because they're not of your faith is a horribly un-Christian thing to do. Again "What you have done to the least of your brothers and sisters, you have done unto me." Not "What you have done to the least of your brothers and sisters who believe I am the son of God you have done unto me." Or "What you have done to the least of your brothers and sisters of your denomination you have done unto me."

To go on another tangent, alienating people is never right. There are atheists who talk about feeling offended, or scared, or pressured, into not admitting their beliefs and staying, so to speak, in the closet. I myself have felt that way about my beliefs when in my peer group. The people I tend to hang out with hate Christianity, and I am not exaggerating. They think that its funny, or karmic, when a church is burned down. I had one person joke about burning down the church that, in fact, was the one I go to.

Christians need to think about how they'd feel if that happened to them before they think its right to treat atheists, buddhists, whatever, as lesser.

Back on topic.

That said, its not right to simply avoid trying to convert people either. We don't want to offend them, but we also don't want them to, well, not be Christian. Burn in hell or be dreadfully bored in purgatory or whatever their fate may be.

I don't think that its a bad thing for any Christian to try to convert people. But, I think that they SHOULD only do it if they think the other person will be receptive. For example, I only talk to someone to try to get them to convert if they're a good friend, or I otherwise think they'd be receptive to it. And if I do, and I turn out to be wrong, I leave it at that. If they want to resume the conversation another time, its up to them. Otherwise, I'll not bring it up.

Context is as important as content to a message. A sign at a women's shelter saying "You don't have to be a slave" will be received much differently than if it was at, say, a feminist rally, and that would be different than if it was at a gay pride parade.

There are people on this forum (either members or former members) who I pray for regularly, but I don't try to alienate them by bringing it up publically, or offend them by doing it privately. I'm only bringing it up now to prove a point.

And that point is that no matter how much we WANT to, evangelising doesn't help unless its been asked for.

I AM NOW SUMMARIZING MY POST. THESE ARE MY THESES. I AM NOT MARTIN LUTHER, SO I ONLY HAVE 5 OF THEM.

PLEASE DO NOT REPLY UNTIL YOU READ THIS

1) For the most part, people who are evangelizing are doing it because they genuinely want to help

2) Being too aggressive with evangelizing will not do anyone any good, and will probably do both of you harm

3) Don't mock people who have different beliefs. Again, you won't do anyone any good, and you'll both come off the worse for it.

4) If you WANT to help, let them come to you, or wait until you think they want to/should hear it.

5) I miscounted the number of theses, there were only four.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

:applause:

There was no meeting of pastors or priests or whatever where they all got together and said "You know what we're going to do? We'll make them hold candles, then stick little stickers in their bibles, and when they open them they'll find a sticker and they'll know God thinks they can hold a candle!"
    There's a good chance nobody involved even had any idea a non-Christian would attend the service. Most people have other things to do on Christmas Eve, after all.

Hypothetically speaking, if you knew that a complete stranger was going to die in a car crash, you'd be remiss not to inform them. The logic behind evangelism is the same.
    Knowledge makes a difference too. Today, at least in the places most of us are, pretty much everybody *knows* about at least the basics of Christianity. If they don't believe it, then from their point of view, you're continually repeating nonsense at them. And of course that wears thin fast. But they do *know,* and if they ever have any interest in hearing more, they know where to go. Whereas when the "Good News" really was (or is) NEWS, it makes more sense to spread it far and wide.
    Problem is, I'm pyrophobic. But, since I was in the middle of a pew, I couldn't exactly leave or scream.
    Well, of course, you *could* have screamed... but aside from drawing attention to yourself, it could have startled someone into dropping one of those candles, setting the carpet on fire, and, well, get worse from there. NOT a scene a pyrophobe would want to be in the middle of!
    A lot of people who put up the signs think that they'll be mass-producing serendipity like that. That people will be driving along, having a bad day, and they'll look up and see the sign and be like "Oh, God loves me! I'll be Christian now."
    A lot of them, though, are not intended to convert people. They're there to encourage other Christians... or, sometimes, to draw them into attending a particular church. (Not as commercial as it sounds, with as many who don't go at all or only rarely.)
    The people I tend to hang out with hate Christianity, and I am not exaggerating. They think that its funny, or karmic, when a church is burned down. I had one person joke about burning down the church that, in fact, was the one I go to.
    Weak it may be, but I couldn't hang out with people who joke like that.... not because of the hatred of Christianity, old as that gets, but because they find joking about committing arson appropriate.
    I don't think that its a bad thing for any Christian to try to convert people. But, I think that they SHOULD only do it if they think the other person will be receptive. For example, I only talk to someone to try to get them to convert if they're a good friend, or I otherwise think they'd be receptive to it. And if I do, and I turn out to be wrong, I leave it at that. If they want to resume the conversation another time, its up to them. Otherwise, I'll not bring it up.
    I've never tried to get anyone to convert. I'll discuss my own beliefs, under appropriate circumstances, and try to answer any real questions I'm asked. Other than that... well, I have a fish on my car. Specifically, a rainbow fish, though people who would object to the combination of "gay" and "Christian" tend not to recognize the significance of the colors for some reason), which serves as much as a reminder to myself (to behave on the road, among other things) as to remind others on both "sides" of that that the combination does exist, but I can't see any rational way an atheist could take offense to seeing that. (If any here *do* see such a way, let me know, though I won't make any promises.) And if I see someone on a message board or comment thread making nasty generalizations about Christians, I'll respond... not because I think it will do *them* any good (or harm, for that matter) but because someone whose mind is not already made up might come along and read it, and if so, they deserve to have a bit of the other side.

Beautiful conversion story, by the way. There are some who would claim I'm not "really" a Christian at all, because I don't have one. (Others, of course, would make the same claim on different grounds.)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't have a conversion story either, HYHYBT. I grew up in a Catholic household. What I have is a reaffirmation story. Which boils down to I decided through my own research and beliefs that remaining Catholic was what I wanted to do.

And didn't Christ essentially say that to evangelize was to share His word and live your life according to it? When did we start taking that for "hit people upside the head with a Bible and hope it gets through"?
      I has a blog!

Comment

Kheldar and HYHYBT (Can I call you HY?) raise another good point that I, considering only my experience, forgot.

For many people, the conversion experience is not one single outpouring of emotion and passion, but a long, slow, gradual experience. In that case, again, things like signs, or handing out leaflets, or going door to door, won't help.

Comment

Honestly, I think humanity and society are past the point where we need evangelism or missionary work any longer. People already have the knowledge to make their own decisions and if they don't the knowledge is readily available from a wide variety of sources. You don't need someone on a street corner to tell you. Christianity isn't some new fade that's just sweeping through. So yeah, good intentions are an explaination, but not an excuse.

Belief is a personal thing and yes, it is annoying and offensive to have someone else try to convert you regardless of their intentions. I hold a special disdain for when its done in a public place or forum ( billboards included ) as that is downright disrespectful. Especially coming to your door, that is beyond arrogant and offensive. I have no patience for it as it shows a total lack of respect for other people.

I was not converted to Buddhism, I arrived at it as a logical conclusion based on my own beliefs and experiences. Despite that, even now, I continue to look into and learn from other religions and philsophies as I don't think you can get the whole picture adhering to just one. Which is why I like Buddhism, as it encourages me to keep looking and readily accepts the results.

Though I will admit the biggest upside to it, is that no one understands it. So when someone tries to shove a pamphlet at me, I declined saying I'm Buddhist, and they become confused and leave me alone. Rather than trying to push the issue. <cough> I had one jackass trying to shove pamphlets at people at the bus stop one morning on my way home from work. I told him I was Buddhist and he just went "Oh....uh..." and walked away. I think they have a rough enough time in Vancouver as is due to our multiculturalism. Converting someone from one western religion to another is one thing, but trying to come up with any sort of bridge from an Eastern religion to a Western one is pretty difficult.

Not to mention we're Canadian, and this stuff is already bad manners. We like our manners. -.-
          Last edited by Gravekeeper; 03-21-2011, 04:17 PM.

Comment

:P I get the confusion thing as well GK, I'm Kemetic Orthodox, I get one of two reactions to it, either someone is curious as to what it is in which case If I have the time I'll explain a little bit about it, or else they just look confused and leave me alone. Most people don't have any idea what it is.

Comment

Oooh! I know what it is.

*feels special*

Comment

I find myself torn, and so I hardly ever try to bring it up. I also generally don't discuss my faith unless asked. I don't preach partly because I'm firm in my belief that I'm just another sinner, no better than anyone else and thus not in a position to have the right to say what comes across as, "I stepped up to a better place, and you should, too". I do say "God bless" to people I meet sometimes. I don't really have a denomination, though on the rare occasion that I go to church, it's an Episcopal church. I have a difficult time believing that any one and only one Christian denomination is THE ONE AND ONLY CORRECT ONE. We're all united in Christ...

Believe it or not, I first prayed after reading a Jack Chick pamphlet. I collected them because they were terrifying, absurd, bizarre and in some cases, hateful and spiteful, and I found them funny. Technically, the pamphlet didn't convert me - I just borrowed the prayer from the back of one that I found which, surprisingly, put its message in a relatively nice way. Even after converting, I eventually gave the collection (along with a few parody pamphlets I'd found over the years) to a friend with a more serious collection of them - honestly, most of them gave me the creeps.

What's funny is, I have many Christian and Pagan friends. I was Pagan for many years, while I considered my options as to following/religion/faith/beliefs and tried to decide what, if anything, was right for me; I was never a practicing Pagan or Wiccan, I just liked the gentle themes (and I still see similar themes of love, kindness, compassion and care in Christianity). But for the time I was into the Pagan stuff, Christian friends constantly reminded me that it was (and they usually used this exact phrase) "just a phase" that I would grow out of. The funny part is, after deciding on Christianity, some of my Pagan friends began using the exact same phrases. "It's just a phase, you'll come back around sooner or later".

Comment

Like Kheldarson, I too was raised Catholic and I too have a reaffirmation story. 2 of them, actually.

In addition to being raised Catholic, I was raised with influences from the Eastern Religions and Philosophies that came along with my martial arts training. When i was 15, I shattered my ankle playing baseball. I had doctors telling me I'd never walk right again and I'd be lucky if I'd be able to run or jump. I started seeing myself as a cripple and a burden to those around me. At this point, I was torn. The Eastern Philosophies I was raised with said it would be appropriate for me to kill myself rather than be a burden. Seeing that my life long dreams (well, life long at that point anyway) were shattered too, it seemed like a very viable option. But my Catholic upbringing taught me that suicide was a Mortal Sin and would send me straight to Hell. I spent about a year and a half looking for a reason not to kill myself. I prayed for help and guidance through that time and eventually found it in an unexpected place.

The high school I went to is/was a Visual and Performing Arts Magnet School. many of the cast members on various Disney and Nickolodeon shows went to my school. One friend of mine was on one of these shows. Every day at lunch, she would literally surrounded by teeny-bopper fans wanting to be friends with her. Every day, as I limped past the crowd to eat my lunch, she would always poke her head out of the crowd and say hi and ask me how I was doing. At a time where my self-deprecation was at an all time high, she made me feel like I did matter to someone. She was the help I prayed for.

Skip forward about 7 years and one of my best friends has just given birth to her 1st child. A few moments after getting to hold him for the very first time, he started to spit up blood. Everyone's freaking out and he's wisped away to Infant ICU while they work towards fixing whatever's wrong. My friend is going absolutely crazy while her husband is running around trying to get whatever answers he can possibly get. At the end of the night, they've got little Seth stabilized, but he's still in ICU and is expected to be there for a few days. I go home and pray for him and his parents, asking God to watch over all of them.

In the middle of my prayer, I actually busted out in tears (Yes, I'm man enough to admit that). I finished up my prayer, climbed into bed, and then reached over to check that my alarm is set and at the proper volume. As soon as I turned on the radio, Silent Lucidity by Queensryche started to play. For those of you unfamiliar with it, the opening verse is:

"Hush now, don't you cry
                  Wipe away the teardrop from your eye
                  You're lying safe in bed
                  It was all a bad dream
                  Spinning in your head
                  Your mind tricked you to feel the pain
                  Of someone close to you leaving the game of life
                  So here it is, another chance
                  Wide awake you face the day
                  Your dream is over... or has it just begun?"

And the chorus is:
                  "I will be watching over you
                  I am going to help you see it through
                  I will protect you in the night
                  I am smiling next to you
                  in Silent Lucidity"

I slept like a baby that night. Little Seth got to go home a few days later.
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Kheldar and HYHYBT (Can I call you HY?) raise another good point that I, considering only my experience, forgot.
                    Call me whatever you like! (well.... within certain basic assumptions.)
                    For many people, the conversion experience is not one single outpouring of emotion and passion, but a long, slow, gradual experience. In that case, again, things like signs, or handing out leaflets, or going door to door, won't help.
                    All true... but a slow and gradual conversion story is still a conversion story. I don't even have that, and so, at least according to some, that means I cannot really be saved. Might as well go ahead and tell my non-conversion story...

i was raised in church from nursery and preschool on up, and have never managed to disbelieve in Jesus... and it's always bothered me a bit, simply because the first *Baptist* church I was in regularly preached that if you didn't have a defining moment you could point to where you came to believe (which, logically, would require that you disbelieved up until then) and asked Jesus into your heart (which I did, but only because they said I had to; I did and do believe he was already there) and felt changed afterwards (I didn't at all) then you weren't saved. I've never managed to meet that first pre-requisite of *not* believing, and so have not been able to convert... and, therefore, according to some, cannot be saved. To me, though, that doesn't make me less of a Christian; just less of a Baptist

On Chick Tracts: A church I know well used to have some among the selection of other similar items on a table in the narthex. Only of the "without Jesus, none of us is good enough; with him, we all are" variety. But, while the other, similar material is still there, those are gone, and I'm pretty sure it's because of the taint from the rest of the series. It's simply impossible for any of them to have the desired influence on somebody who knows about the rather obvious lies of, say, the Dungeons & Dragons one. (Plenty of others, of course, but that's the one that comes to mind without looking anything up.)
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

This is how I've always felt about evangelists. As much as they annoy me with their logic and judgmental attitude, I know that they probably have good intentions.

Without going into too much detail, fridge horror about death, mortality, and the afterlife got me looking into some more fundamentalist websites. I should say at this point I was raised Catholic (just went to church), but since church was just something I did on Sunday, I never thought too much about religion. Reading the descriptions that fundamentalists had about hell scared me stupid. It was the fear of going to hell that got me looking into all this stuff and becoming obsessed with religion.

BUT, the only reason I had looked into all this stuff was because I was afraid of going to hell. I didn't really care about "living a righteous life" because the way I saw it, nothing on earth mattered. The only reason to care about being "righteous" was to not end up in hell. And there comes the ultimate catch 22. God knows your intentions and whether or not you're just going through the motions or not. Well at the point I was at, how could I NOT be doing this for "selfish" reasons? How could I truely have my heart in something when the only reason I was in it was because I was afraid of hell?

Let me rant about this, according to many Christian beliefs, the only way to be "truely saved" is through a relationship with god. The same god that will roast you for all eternity if you don't love him. Wow, what a great relationship! First of all, god is a spirit, so I don't know how that works. Second of all, it's all fear based. It's impossible for me to truely love any being that's holding a gun to my head. And if god really expects someone to truely love him when he's threatening them, god's a douche. I'm sorry, but that just makes no sense.

Now that I got my rant on the "love me or burn" god out of the way, I have this to say. If god is anything like the god I was raised to believe in (the god who just said do good and treat others kindly without threatening us with eternal punishment), I have no problem loving that god. Sure, I may have never understood how to love a spirit, but surely that god would understand. I don't have a problem with that kind of theology. But the fear based stuff must die.

*and just for clarification, I'm agnostic*

Comment

But...hell isn't a place you actually burn. And God doesn't throw you there just because you don't love him selflessly. Somebody skipped telling you about Purgatory along the way I think...

Hell's just...empty. It's an emptiness which can never be filled. And we choose it by choosing not to love God. True, we may not love Him perfectly (because we're afraid of the emptiness, afraid of the punishments, the unknown, whatever) but that's what Purgatory's for, to purge us of those imperfections.

So God's not threatening; it's just the logical conclusion to choosing not to even try to develop a relationship with Him in life when you're able to make choices.

Just something to think about in counter to those fundamentalist teachings...
                        I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                          OTOH, if you thought someone was going to die in a car crash, but you had no reason to think so (except, perhaps, a pamphlet written hundreds of years ago by someone who had no experience with cars), the person would rightly be skeptical when you told them.

... the preachery type told us to open our bibles to... Such and such a chapter and verse. And on that page, someone had, at some point in the past, put a little piece of paper in as a bookmark that had balloons and said "You can do it!"

And I felt so much better, and I decided to be a Christian...
                          Is that all it takes? Then let me send you a copy of Dianetics with a bookmark saying "Hang in there!" Oh, and I'll include a CD of relaxing music to put you in the right frame of mind.

I would hope that anyone thinking about adopting a new religion or philosophy would take some time to examine the beliefs, tenets, or what-have-you to see whether it (a) meshes with reality, and (b) meshes with how they want to live their lives, before adopting that religion or philosophy.

1) For the most part, people who are evangelizing are doing it because they genuinely want to help
                          As Robert G. Ingersoll said, "The hands that help are better far than the lips that pray." Or, in this case, evangelize.

2) Being too aggressive with evangelizing will not do anyone any good, and will probably do both of you harm
                          Being an advocate of free speech, I have no problem with evangelizing, in general. I have two thoughts on it, however:
                          1. It would be nice to see the rules that govern advertising applied to religious messages. For example: "these statements have not been reviewed by the surgeon general" or "results not typical."
                          2. As long as religious folks have freedom to posit their views, so, too, do dissenters have the freedom to state their dissent.

3) Don't mock people who have different beliefs. Again, you won't do anyone any good, and you'll both come off the worse for it.
                          So if a Catholic tells met that their nasty cracker literally turns into the body of a 2000+ year old magical zombie Jew, you don't think I should laugh in their face? Why should I stifle a perfectly good joke just because some Catholic can't see the humor?

4) If you WANT to help, let them come to you, or wait until you think they want to/should hear it. [emphasis mine]
                          So you intend to perpetuate the cycle of preying on people when they are most vulnerable. If you really want to help people, do something that will actually help. Don't tell them that going to church will ease their problems.

5) I miscounted the number of theses, there were only four.
                          Then let me help with #5. Don't evangelize to children. Don't indoctrinate children before they've had a chance to learn logic and problem-solving skills. Don't teach religion before children have developed the tools to make up their own minds. And for humanity's sake, don't use children as a tool for evangelizing. Very little pisses me off more than seeing a child holding a sign that says "God hates fags" or "Repent or burn."

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                          Hell's just...empty. It's an emptiness which can never be filled. And we choose it by choosing not to love God.
                          Don't forget that a large portion of Christians DO believe in a literal Hell, where non-believers DO get tortured forever. But even if Hell is simply emptiness or non-existence, God is still playing favorites. He's rewarding credulity.

So God's not threatening; it's just the logical conclusion to choosing not to even try to develop a relationship with Him in life when you're able to make choices.
                          How do you develop a relationship with someone that you have never even met? How is it not threatening to say "love me or you will cease to exist?"
                          "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
                            Don't evangelize to children. Don't indoctrinate children before they've had a chance to learn logic and problem-solving skills. Don't teach religion before children have developed the tools to make up their own minds.
                            Definitely agree with this. Don't evangelize to kids and always do it in private. Not out on the streets and most certainly not in schools and places of government.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                              The people I tend to hang out with hate Christianity, and I am not exaggerating. They think that its funny, or karmic, when a church is burned down. I had one person joke about burning down the church that, in fact, was the one I go to.

Christians need to think about how they'd feel if that happened to them before they think its right to treat atheists, buddhists, whatever, as lesser.
                              Which of course raises the question why you continue to associate with them... there is free agency for all, and if you know that they are offended by your beliefs and you are offended by theirs why subject yourself to that situation.
                              Though in response to the churches catching fire, in fairness, from a historical perspective considering how many mosques and synogogues were burnt down by Christians, many on orders of their church, seems oddly appropriate when a church is damaged in a natural disaster.
                              As far as vandalism, when christians stop tagging "read the bible fags" on the pride center and other such pleasantries, then no one should be surprised when non-christians return the favor.
                              Which brings me to your last point, you're asking a group of people to go against 2000 years of history telling them that they worship the one true God and anything they do in his name is justified. If anything the vandalism of churches is finally making these people realize what it is like to be on the other end of their 2000 year reign of terror against women, blacks, gays, and intellectuals.
                              As my mother's boyfriend says, I'm not anti-Christian, I just understand history.
                              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Working...
                              X