Not Everyone Was Christian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Everyone Was Christian

This annoys me. If I do happen to get into a discussion with someone about religion and I mention that I'm not Christian, or well any of the other main religions, I get asked "Why did you convert from Christianity?" or something similar. Fact of the matter is, I didn't. I have never been Christian, I was not raised in a religious household, by religious I mean any religion, and I can count the number of times I've been to church on one hand. What irritates me is the assumption that everyone must have been Christian at some point, I realize it's one of the major religions in the world, but the question could be phrased differently instead of assuming that everyone who follows another faith turned away from Christianity to follow it.

It wouldn't bother me if the question was phrased differently, like for example "Oh were you Christian before?" That's different, because they aren't assuming I was. The ones who insist you must have been even after you've told them you weren't annoy me the most, like they don't believe it's even possible.

I get this all the time. Though they blame my Atheism on my "strict Roman Catholic upbringing". Um no, it was a decision I came to on my own after exploring MANY different religions, not just "one that didn't agree with me", which is the excuse people use to try and "convert me". No I've tried more than you have probably ever considered, studied them EXTENSIVELY, know about religions you've more than likely never heard of, and know more about your religion than you, a practicing member of it.....AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!

Not everyone is wired to "believe" or "have faith" in something, and no I'm not immoral, nor do I feel "empty inside", I don't pray for things to get done, I get off my lazy ass and do it(my handing out sandwiches to homeless people does more than a thousand prayers, prayers DON'T feed anyone), and that gives me a sense of having done something, THAT is what fills me. It's called actually helping people with actions rather than empty words(prayer). Actions speak louder than words, especially when you say you want to help, and do not a damn thing. If we stop telling people things will get better in the "next world" after they die, maybe they'd try to fix things in this world.
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 03-28-2011, 02:52 AM.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by muses_nightmare View Post
      The ones who insist you must have been even after you've told them you weren't annoy me the most, like they don't believe it's even possible.
      That last bit is just coming from plain fundie stupidity, really. That's the problem when you get into 'pure' Christian Fundamentalism.

But the reason why you get asked those questions is because you are in the USA, which is based on Western culture, which is primarily Christian-dominant by history. I can guarantee you, if you were in non-Western areas, the question wouldn't ever pop up.

Comment

But the reason why you get asked those questions is because you are in the USA, which is based on Western culture, which is primarily Christian-dominant by history. I can guarantee you, if you were in non-Western areas, the question wouldn't ever pop up.
        But...I'm Canadian. Though, it probably doesn't come up as much here as it does in the US. It's just irritating when it does.

Comment

Originally posted by muses_nightmare View Post
          But...I'm Canadian. Though, it probably doesn't come up as much here as it does in the US. It's just irritating when it does.
          Canadian then. *shrugs* Still Western-based culture.

Comment

Can't say as I've ever had it come up. Technically I guess I was pagan or wiccan or something before. Then Christian before that, then Catholic before that. -.-

Comment

I've had it come up a few times, and a few more online. It just seems like an attitude some people have, hell they don't even have to be fundies or anything half the time, people just assume these things. It's just particularly annoying when you try to correct them and they just won't accept it, because everyone had to be Christian at some point (at least in Western Culture, as FArchivist pointed out.)

Comment

Working...
              X