this four year old essay/article is eeriely prophetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this four year old essay/article is eeriely prophetic

longish read(2 pages) but very worth it. For both Christians and non Christians.

Originally posted by Dr. James Luther Adams
    The Nazis, he said, were not going to return with swastikas and brown shirts. Their ideological inheritors had found a mask for fascism in the pages of the Bible.
    The Rise of Christian Fascism and Its Threat to American Democracy

Sadly what is being discussed I do see happening, in bits and pieces, and the only thing to prevent it is to pay attention.

Originally posted by Chris Hedges
    This mythological worldview, one that has no use for science or dispassionate, honest intellectual inquiry, one that promises that the loss of jobs and health insurance does not matter, as long as you are right with Jesus, offers a lying world of consistency that addresses the emotional yearnings of desperate followers at the expense of reality. It creates a world where facts become interchangeable with opinions, where lies become true -- the very essence of the totalitarian state. It includes a dark license to kill, to obliterate all those who do not conform to this vision, from Muslims in the Middle East to those at home who refuse to submit to the movement.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

See also a short story by Robert Heinlein, "If this goes on..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_This_Goes_On%E2%80%94

The Wiki contains many spoilers, if you plan on reading the story...and it's well worth reading
    Last edited by Evandril; 04-01-2011, 08:48 PM.
    Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
      Sadly what is being discussed I do see happening, in bits and pieces, and the only thing to prevent it is to pay attention.
      Further, there are several prime components to today's Christofascism movement:

- prosperity gospel
      - spiritual warfare
      - Dominionism
      - the Christian Patriarchy movement
      - the Quiverfull movement

Education on these items will help to understand what is faced. They are all very intricately twined together.

Comment

I am not a fan of these people. Not a fan at all.

I do not want this country to be a Theocracy.

Every American is a True American, not just the Christian ones. This is not a country founded as a religious movement. This is a country where we are all free to worship whoever and whatever we want.

I may be a Christian, but when it comes to these people, I dislike them as much as anyone else here does.

I haven't fully read the essay, but what I will say is that the biggest threat, and in fact the ONLY threat I see to our Republic is Theocracy.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
          I am not a fan of these people. Not a fan at all.

I do not want this country to be a Theocracy.

Every American is a True American, not just the Christian ones. This is not a country founded as a religious movement. This is a country where we are all free to worship whoever and whatever we want.

I may be a Christian, but when it comes to these people, I dislike them as much as anyone else here does.
          I highly suggest reading his book on the subject, I've just started it. first and foremost he is a Christian minister, his book is written as a "here's what I'm seeing from the inside, this is how you thwart it"
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I've read it. I also suggest the blog Slacktivist by Fred Clark.
            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

It's not prophecy, well, not in the concept of autonomously predicting the future at any rate. It's more of understanding the current situation in the world and an understanding of sociological history.

Anything that is listed as going to happen has happened at some time before. Human nature, being what it is, tends to forget it over the course of time. Then, some time down the road, someone thinks it a unique idea to try it again.

It's not any different than seeing someone in a prestigious profession acting like a lunatic and saying "s/he'll lost his/her standing at some point." When it happens, of course you can say you saw it coming, but anyone with an understanding could have seen it coming, probably a lot sooner.

Not dismissing the essay, just regurgitating the old adage "those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it."

Comment

Working...
              X