6%

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
    Hinduism too,
    14%

Sikhism as well
    0.36%

not quite sure how such tiny numbers are considered "major" religions

and Judism sits at 0.22% of the world's population.

apparently my definition of Major/majority is not the same as yours...

Hell, purely by numbers, its barely even a cornerstone of the majority of major religions ( aka Abrahamic religion makes up something like 48-55% of the world's population ).

hmmm

100% of the world's population
    minus 20% that is non-religious(agnostic/atheist)
    leaves 80%
    and 55% of that is Islam/Christian
    which leaves 25% other religions
    and you're saying the 25% is the majority-yeah our definitions of majority are not in sync...
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 04-17-2011, 03:16 AM.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
      not quite sure how such tiny numbers are considered "major" religions
      You realise the only two religions above those are Christianity and Islam, right? aka 2 of 10 or so commonly recognized major religions? And that the Christianity chunk is subdivided into around 34,000 seperate subgroups? Not all of which give a shit about what you think or believe nor have any interest in making you believe the same as they do?

PS. There's no actual world concensus for how many Buddhists there are as they are not an organized religion. Estimates actually range from between 6 to 23% and could it be the second, third or fourth largest religion in the world.

apparently my definition of Major/majority is not the same as yours...
      Yes, mine is based on logic, yours seems to be based on desperately trying to support a biased point of view.

minus 20% that is non-religious(agnostic/atheist)
      leaves 80%
      which leaves 25% other religions
      and you're saying the 25% is the majority-yeah our definitions of majority are not in sync...
      Yes, that would be because my definition is correct while yours is still trying to twist things to fit a weak argument. You cannot subtract the agnostic/atheist category, they are just as capable of prolethyzing as anyone else. So yeah, 55%, and thats only if you use the most conservative estimate of Buddhism and only if you're seriously claiming that all 34,000 denominations of Christianity prolethyze. ( Hint: They don't ).

Sorry, but your statement was wrong to begin with and its still wrong now.

Comment

And I don't know about all Muslims, but I can tell you for sure that not ALL Christian sects give a damn what you believe. And even for a lot of the ones that do, its hardly a CORNERSTONE of their beliefs.
        Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 04-17-2011, 04:42 AM.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Christians are the only ones I've experienced actually trying to recruit people. I never seen another religion do it. And even then, I've only seen it a couple times.

Muslims here in Afghanistan are good people. They don't try to recruit people at all. They bother no one with their praying. If it's such a cornerstone of their religion, they must be terrible Muslims.
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Just remember something about statistics...

One .. a smart person can twist statistics to support just about any position..including two exact opposite positions at the same time.

Two ... the validity of statistics can be brought into question depending on WHO issues the statistics. An article in a beauty magazine that suggests that X% of women think they are more beautiful using Y substance/item/etc is to be questioned. Especially when the statistics are brought to you by the maker of said Y item..or a 'independent' lab that is hired and paid by the makers of Y item.

As a wise person once said...
            86% of statistics can mean whatever you want it to
            and an additional 90% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Comment

PS. There's no actual world concensus for how many Buddhists there are as they are not an organized religion. Estimates actually range from between 6 to 23% and could it be the second, third or fourth largest religion in the world.
              Isn't also possible that Buddhists could be considered Atheists by some counts due to, you know, generally being atheistic?

Gotta love the imprecision of statistics without the methodology to support them.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                Isn't also possible that Buddhists could be considered Atheists by some counts due to, you know, generally being atheistic?
                Possible I suppose, though they would have to identify as Atheist over Buddhist when asked the survey question. Its possible to be Buddhist and Atheist, but I don't think too many people are. The majority school of thought is Mahayana Buddhism, and Atheism isn't really compadible with it.

Though the different schools of thought is why there's no clear estimate for Buddhists. The numbers change based on how you define Buddhism in the question.

Comment

Thing about those Church rules and Bible rules is that many of them are for your benefit. Like, don't have sex outside of marriage. which sucks. Who wants to have no sex until they're married? But let's face it...unwanted kids and herpes are awful. While sex outside of marriage doesn't guarantee at least one of these happening, and sex within the marriage doesn't guarantee it won't happen, odds are you'll be dealing with a lot less stress if you don't whore yourself around and just stick to one steady partner.

Drugs. I'm pretty sure somewhere it says you shouldn't get drunk, high or stoned or anything else. But that sucks! I personally love getting blitzed once in a while. who doesn't? It's awesome! But guess what - that shit is expensive. And it can get you in trouble with the law, whether it's a DUI or possession of narcotics. And it can get you killed. Or raped in federal prison.

Of course, these aren't solely Christian ideas, but they like to take credit for it. I've found a good belief structure is to just try and be a good person. I don't steal, I don't cheat on my wife, I drink sometimes but not in terrible excess. I don't beat my kids and I don't murder people...unless they deserve it.

Just kidding. If you couldn't tell, you suck.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFaroohk View Post
                    odds are you'll be dealing with a lot less stress if you don't whore yourself around and just stick to one steady partner.
                    Just out of curiosity, why does sex outside of marriage = "whoring yourself around"? Could there, maybe, possibly, be some middle ground there?
                    I'm liberal on some issues and conservative on others. For example, I would not burn a flag, but neither would I put one out. -Garry Shandling

You can't believe in something you don't. -Ricky Gervais

Comment

Originally posted by BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      Just out of curiosity, why does sex outside of marriage = "whoring yourself around"? Could there, maybe, possibly, be some middle ground there?
                      I don't think thats what he meant seeing as the full sentence was "whore yourself around and just stick to one steady partner". You can do that regardless of marriage. Unless I am reading it wrong.

Comment

Yeah that's what I meant. And I'm not condoning whoring onesself around. I used to whore around a bit. I don't anymore, and I'm glad of it. But people who whore around generally have some sort of negative consequences, even if its just bad emotions.

Comment

Working...
                        X