X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Bans National Anthem...

...because it is violent.

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-goshen...0,157324.story

Wow. Just wow. Then the school's history department better not teach about religious history.

I'll give them credit, they have balls.

EDIT TO ADD: Just wait for a "flash mob" to show up at a Goshen game and begin singing the National Anthem. Go ahead, kick everyone out of the game.
    Last edited by daleduke17; 06-08-2011, 09:17 PM.

I think they tried to water down the UK national anthem a while ago on similar grounds. However, Terry Pratchett hit the nail on the head in his Discworld series when he noted that the Ankh-Morpork anthem was one verse and a load of humming after with random words as nobody had learned any more, and that's exactly what happens in the UK. The juicy stuff about scattering foes comes in later, sort-of unofficial verses.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

They're a private, religious college. They can set whatever policies (and curriculum) they like. We don't force Quakers to sign contracts, so don't make Mennonites sing about violence. I don't really see the problem, honestly. There are also religious groups (this may also be the Quakers) that refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
        They're a private, religious college. They can set whatever policies (and curriculum) they like. We don't force Quakers to sign contracts, so don't make Mennonites sing about violence. I don't really see the problem, honestly. There are also religious groups (this may also be the Quakers) that refuse to say the Pledge of Allegiance.
        It isn't violence they would be singing about. It is resiliency and endurance through hardship they are singing about.

Plus, this same school teaches US and World history. Um, if you don't want it played at your sporting events, don't teach about it then.

Comment

Originally posted by daleduke17 View Post
          It isn't violence they would be singing about. It is resiliency and endurance through hardship they are singing about.
          um do you know all four verses of the Star spangled banner?(yes there are four, not just one-it's a horrible song really)

it contains the phrases:

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
          No refuge could save the hireling and slave
          From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
          And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

yeah saying blood washes away the "pollution" of a foreigner's mere footsteps.

and slaves and hired hands had to run of be killed....

not so much endurance through hardship there....
          Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Plus, this same school teaches US and World history. Um, if you don't want it played at your sporting events, don't teach about it then.
            There's a very notable difference between the teaching of history, and the celebration of violence.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Damn, Australia's national anthem is strangely non-violent....

Comment

Wrong. The Star-Spangled Banner celebrates the victory of the Americans at the British attack on Baltimore. It's a celebration of battle, of war, of militaristic victory. I'm not particularly surprised that a branch of Christianity that teaches people NOT to defend themselves when attacked, because violence is wrong, would not be in favor of it.

I think they would prefer one of the previous songs used for our national anthem, "My Country, 'Tis Of Thee".

As someone else said, teaching history and glorifying war through a jingoistic anthem are far from the same thing.

Comment

This is the song that the main verse we sing involves bombs bursting in air, rockets' red glare?

Clearly no violence.

I get the song is about us holding out against the British, but it involves violence. If the school doesn't want to buy into all the nationalist stuff, that's their right.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                    I don't get the thing about quakers not signing contracts...is it some sort of religious thing or somethin?

Comment

Working...
                    X