Atheists Are Not Ignorant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheists Are Not Ignorant

Now, I make no secret that I'm a Christian. Also that I believe in spreading Christianity. And there is a certain type of atheist I'm prone to get into fights with. But even the ones I hate the most, the sort of people I find myself unable to keep talking because I get so angry, I still have a certain level of respect for. I certainly respect them enough to think they actually know a certain level of what Christians believe.

There's a type of idiot I see sometimes who doesn't seem to understand this. I see people who are honestly under the belief that atheists are only atheists because they've never HEARD of Christianity. That I find... Stupid. Seriously stupid.

Look, I may not agree with people who say things about how evil religion is, but I'm fairly certain its not because they just don't know about Christianity.

I don't get this attitude, and I was wondering if I could get some help explaining it. I understand if someone says something that's wrong about what you believe, and you want to correct them. If someone said that I wanted to kill abortionists, or that homosexuality is evil, I would try to correct them. If someone was talking about how religion is the greatest evil in the world, I would say that they're wrong. But I wouldn't say "Oh, you've just never heard of Jesus!"

Okay, this is a bit rambley and bloggy. But basically...

Look, people need to stop assuming all you have to do is tell an atheist that Jesus was a dude and they'll convert on the spot. It doesn't work like that.

Atheists are people who, for one reason or another, decided that they won't believe in God. Not people who have never heard of this God guy.

I respect atheists. I don't respect all atheists, but I at least respect them by default. I think they're wrong. The ones I don't respect I tend to think of as being stubborn and rude. But it takes a lot for me to think someone is stupid.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

It's not just on this subject: there are quite a lot of people of all sorts of beliefs, political sides, and most anything else who, bright as they may be (or not) otherwise, simply cannot grasp the difference between "I don't understand" and "I disagree."
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Hell, you can turn it around, too. I've run into ahteists who think that those who follow a theistic religion just need their eyes opened up to the wonders of science.

But, yeah, just because someone doesn't agree with you it does not mean that they just haven't had their face rubbed in whatever you're trying to sell them on enough.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If God existed, he has alot of hate for many people. I don't like bullies as it is, I feel no need to worship the ground that he farts on if he existed like most christians.

God doesn't give two shits about anyone. Pure and simple.
        Toilet Paper has been "bath tissue" for the longest time, and it really chaps my ass - Blas
        I AM THE MAN of the house! I wear the pants!!! But uh...my wife buys the pants so....yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
          There's a type of idiot I see sometimes who doesn't seem to understand this. I see people who are honestly under the belief that atheists are only atheists because they've never HEARD of Christianity. That I find... Stupid. Seriously stupid.
          I completely agree with you on this. Particularly in the US, you would have to be completely isolated not to have heard of Christianity and its basic tenets.

Look, I may not agree with people who say things about how evil religion is, but I'm fairly certain its not because they just don't know about Christianity.
          Actually, it tends to be the opposite. The more I learn about Christianity, the more I view it to be evil. The same could be said about most other religions, too.

Atheists are people who, for one reason or another, decided that they won't believe in God. Not people who have never heard of this God guy.
          Technically, both are atheists. However, as above, nearly all people in Western society have been exposed to Christianity at some time during their lives and some have made a conscious assessment of whether or not they believe.
          "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Hell, you can turn it around, too. I've run into ahteists who think that those who follow a theistic religion just need their eyes opened up to the wonders of science.
            Arguably it should be much easier to de-convert the average christian, who has in all likelihood been indoctrinated with his beliefs since birth and not put much thought in the validity of it.
            Most self-proclaimed atheists on the other hand will most likely have put a lot of thought into their belief, or rather lack thereof.

So I find it quite likely that the "See: Science!" approach will on average be much more successful than the "See: Jesus!" one.

Comment

Working...
            X