The old evolution debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
    Religion is also the primary (and probably only) factor behind same-sex marriage bans.
    Religion isn't the reason, it's the excuse. People are against them because they're xenophobic bigots. Most of them just use religion as a shield against being called on it.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      You didn't state anything that conflicts with what I said.
      No? Let's see:
      Originally posted by Greenday View Post
      Unless they have one of those stupid door-to-door religions, no it doesn't.
      Originally posted by Ipecac Drano View Post
      Those "door-to-door" religions don't affect others as much as other religions do. Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses may interrupt your morning routine, but some of the Baptists are trying to upset school curricula and both they and the Catholics are putting limitations on what a woman can do with her body.
      So, you said that only "door-to-door" religions affect others, and I said that other religions do. I would say there was a conflict.

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      Religion isn't the reason, it's the excuse. People are against them because they're xenophobic bigots. Most of them just use religion as a shield against being called on it.
      In some cases, yes. But there are people who sincerely look down on homosexuality because they were taught it was against their god. Sure, some time back someone decided to push that part of Leviticus because they were homophobic, but there are those who were taught by them who will actually hate gays due to religious zealousy.
      "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
      -- OMM 0000

Comment

"You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
        -- OMM 0000

Comment

This morning on NPR, they were talking about a few evangelicals that were re-examining their views vis a vis Adam and Eve.

Comment

Interesting. Which evangelicals and what were they saying?
            "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Interesting. Which evangelicals and what were they saying?
              ONe of them was a geneticist and he said that the initial pool of "humans" was about 10,000. In order for us to have mutated in the time that is claimed by many evangelicals, we would already be mutating again. And of course, some of these guys are getting pretty poor treatment from the groups (kind of like Galileo).

Comment

Does this NPR article describe the discussion you heard? It sounds the same.

The Christian belief that Jesus' sacrifice absolved humanity of Original Sin only makes sense if there was a literal Adam and Eve and that they ate the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. If the Genesis account is allegory or myth, then Jesus' death was meaningless. That's why evangelical and/or fundamentalist Christians are so opposed to evolution - it takes away the basis for their religion.
                "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Does this NPR article describe the discussion you heard? It sounds the same.

The Christian belief that Jesus' sacrifice absolved humanity of Original Sin only makes sense if there was a literal Adam and Eve and that they ate the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. If the Genesis account is allegory or myth, then Jesus' death was meaningless. That's why evangelical and/or fundamentalist Christians are so opposed to evolution - it takes away the basis for their religion.
                  That would be the one. For me, I'm more in line with the current Catholic view of things. We can not deny the existence of evolution but we can say that man didn't become man until he basically became self aware.

Comment

Are you saying that you believe that evolution proceded on its course without divine intervention until, at some point, God stepped in and magicked self-awareness into two of the proto-humans and named them Adam and Eve?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ghel View Post
                      God stepped in and magicked self-awareness into two of the proto-humans and named them Adam and Eve?
                      It sounds more like he is separating human the species and Man the culture.

Until a certain point we were simply another "dumb" animal living in nature then something happened and we put a piece of sharpened flint on a stick, lit a fire and started in small ways controlling more of nature than our cousins could.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

• Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                        Until a certain point we were simply another "dumb" animal living in nature then something happened and we put a piece of sharpened flint on a stick, lit a fire and started in small ways controlling more of nature than our cousins could.
                        Nothing happened save evolution. Which likely took thousands of years to get to that flint on a stick point. Two things we know made as smarter are socialization and sensory multitasking. Much of the evolution of our brains is tied directly to our emerging social behaviour. While we've recently proven ( by doing weird things to fish ) that sensory multitasking results in evolution and a divergence of species as well.

Also we farked everything and basically assimilated the other two competing humanoid species around at the time through hot, hot interspecies love. We weren't in any way special or chosen, we humped opposing species into genetic submission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                          Nothing happened save evolution.
                          Which is exactly what I said. Unless you want to call us deciding one day to start using tools in a different way than other species something different.

I never said there was some magic moment but like anything we have done as a species there was a first time someone did it. There was a first time someone used something in a way that another species didn't think to do and that started to set us apart as we then did more of that.

Like the first time someone twigs a new slang word and soon lots of people are saying it until you get whole groups of people saying, "Man that was sick" and others going, "Uhm so it made you vomit?"

When I said cousins I didn't mean other humans I meant other animals. Based on Evolution we all came from the same soup so all living things are our cousins.
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

When I said cousins I didn't mean other humans I meant other animals. Based on Evolution we all came from the same soup so all living things are our cousins.
                            And then humped them into genetic submission~

Comment

• Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                              And then humped them into genetic submission~
                              Pretty much this. Popular theory right now is that our particular branch wasn't as advanced; we merely reproduced faster and took out the competition by sheer weight of numbers.

And quantity over quality has ruled us since.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It sounds more like he is separating human the species and Man the culture.

I think that is about right.

Comment

Working...
                                X