Hypocrisy and contradiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypocrisy and contradiction

in recent months (or a few years if you will esp since Obama took office) there has been a goundswell of sorts by localities, counties and more broader governmental bodies to "ban" or outlaw Sharia Law. the reasoning behind this is not very clear except as a "preemptive strike" against what is happening on a small scale in counties like the UK, as a "backlash" against the Islamic faith, create more fear and a pandering to some extream conservative groups.

Wiki entry on Sharia Law

Oklahoma enacts anti-Sharia law ban

Federal Court strikes down said law/constitutional amendment

basically the law/ constitutional amendment would ban "activist" judges from using Sharia or forgein court rullings while making decisions.

a short article I found on the possible motives behind this law

now here is where I am going with this.

all of the these goings on seem to point to "What can we use to stir up the voters in this electiion cycle???"

AND

that some of these conservative groups across the country are trying to pass laws that essentially mean or serve the same thing/purpose but do so under the guise of "Christian/family values" and that makes what they do OK. and there, I believe, lies the hypocricy. they want the law of this country to "reflect" some long lost (or never existed) time or place.

I like this quote from Carl Jung

Every individual needs revolution, inner division, overthrow of the existing order, and renewal, but not by forcing them upon his neighbors under the hypocritical cloak of Christian love or the sense of social responsibility or any of the other beautiful euphemisms for unconscious urges to personal power (Jung, 1966:5). (emphasis mine)
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Frankly, the most dangerous threat to America right now is how many Americans believe the seperation of church and state doesn't apply when it comes to Jesus. The very fact any candidate for president is required to demonstrate how much he loves Jesus just to have any shot at the White House is scary enough as is to be honest.

I couldn't even tell you the religious beliefs of my Prime Minister. Because I don't know. Never cared. Because its not important to how well he does his actual job. I have nfi what the beliefs of my local member of Pariliment is either. Because it doesn't matter. They have no baring on his ability to do his job.

Hell I'd love to see a candidate try and bring up religion as a reason to vote for them in BC. They'd be tossed on their ass so fast by the media it wouldn't be funny. >.>

Comment

Precisely.

It's terrible that you can look at a candidate's bio, note that they're some religion that isn't a branch of Christianity, and know from that one thing alone that they haven't got a snowball's chance in hell.

While assholes are fighting against displays in a museum, we've got pretty much our entire political machine above the local level locked out against pretty much anyone non-Christian, and an entire nation that seems to think that situation is just a-ok. >_<

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

>_> Grr... It just makes me absolutely sick, absolutely sick. I oughta not post much more, because really, everything I can say on the matter has been said by other people, and said better. I'll probably just rant, and get all distracted with rambley thoughts and half-thoughts, then provide a bulletpointed summary. For those who really want to experience a normal HD post here, I will oblige by concisely stating my opinion on the matter of these laws, and of the people who think that seperation of church and state applies to everything EXCEPT CHRISTIANITY.

No. NONONONO. No. No nono no no no NO. No nononononono. Nononono. No no no no. No. No. Nononono No. NONONONO. No. No nono no no no NO. No nononononono. Nononono. No no no no. No. No. Nononono No. NONONONO. No. No nono no no no NO. No nononononono. Nononono. No no no no. No. No. Nononono No. NONONONO. No. No nono no no no NO. No nononononono. Nononono. No no no no. No. No. Nononono No. NONONONO. No. No nono no no no NO. No nononononono. Nononono. No no no no. No. No. Nononono

*No.

*No.

*NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
        Last edited by Hyena Dandy; 09-05-2011, 05:41 AM.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

HD, you forgot something. It has to be a PROTESTANT branch of Christianity. We can't have the papal loving Catholics in...unless, of course, we can show that the Catholic is pretty much non-practicing anyway :P
          I has a blog!

Comment

On a similar note, that's also why Mitt Romney has had trouble pulling stronger poll numbers.

There are a lot of evangelical Christians who believe Mormonism is not true Christianity. My own Pastor referred to it as a cult (Note his views and mine are not necessarily the same).

In the Old Testament, God ordered his followers to taunt and kill other people simply because they practiced a different religion than that of Israel (note this would not be considered Christianity per se because Christ had yet to be born).

As a Christian myself, I don't really consider all other religions "evil" or "wrong". In fact I find a lot of beauty and fascination in some of them (Judaism for example).

Having said all that, it seems to be that Religion is going to play more a role in this election than it has in a long time.

I'll be curious to see how overt Perry is with his Christianity if he gets elected. Can you imagine him holding official prayers on the White House lawn?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
              I'll be curious to see how overt Perry is with his Christianity if he gets elected. Can you imagine him holding official prayers on the White House lawn?
              I can picture that putting the last nail in the coffin of the US's global political relevance. A lot of countries are pretty ticked as is after the debt ceiling fiasco. Electing a half witted religous zealot would probably be the last straw.

Comment

I think it would take a lot more than that for the US to lose political relevance. Though it could lose cultural relevance, politically the US has so many ties to the rest of the world, I just don't see any way for it to lose relevance short of a civil war or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                  I think it would take a lot more than that for the US to lose political relevance. Though it could lose cultural relevance, politically the US has so many ties to the rest of the world, I just don't see any way for it to lose relevance short of a civil war or something like that.
                  The US will always have political power. But relevance as to other countries actually giving a damn what the US thinks, or does, or what the US says they should do is another matter. "Leader of the Free World(tm)" and all that. I know even now, after the Bush years and the amazing partisanship, racism, etc that crawled out of the cracks with Obama in office, I honestly wouldn't listen to the US's opinion on anything social, economic or political as a Canadian.

The US is essentially not just becoming but actively embracing its own stereotype to the outside observer. Which makes it easier for politicians in other nations to actively or publically dismiss the US as just being "American". Nevermind enemies. Once you start playing into the enemy's portrayal of you, you're just giving them ammunition for their cause. -.-

Comment

Yeah.

It's like they took a look, said, "Oh, hey, we're almost nothing like what the terrorists say we are! ... But we can fix that."

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

GK, can you explain the difference between political power and political relevance? Now I'm confused.

Comment

Power is the ability to make things happen.

Relevance is the ability to make things happen without actually using any power.

^-.-^

Comment

But doesn't the presence of the power mean that relevance will spring from power?

I'm just a little confused, I'm not objecting. I mean, if I were in charge of a country, I'd be concerned what the US thought, whether or not I thought they were a bunch of idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post

There are a lot of evangelical Christians who believe Mormonism is not true Christianity. My own Pastor referred to it as a cult
                            well, in the strictest sense it is

Originally posted by Dictionary.com
                            cult
                               /kʌlt/ Show Spelled[kuhlt] Show IPA
                            noun
                            a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
                            an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
                            the object of such devotion.
                            a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
                            Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
                            ... but then again, that definition includes all religions.

I just don't see any way for it to lose relevance short of a civil war or something like that.
                            give it time...

But doesn't the presence of the power mean that relevance will spring from power?
                            That's kind of like the difference between "might makes right" and "right makes might"
                            Yeah, we can force people to go along for us, but that will only work for so long, once they have the ability to give us the middle finger and do their own thing they will, as compared to people wanting to follow us and who will continue to follow us even when they no longer have to.
                            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              That's kind of like the difference between "might makes right" and "right makes might"
                              Yeah, we can force people to go along for us, but that will only work for so long, once they have the ability to give us the middle finger and do their own thing they will, as compared to people wanting to follow us and who will continue to follow us even when they no longer have to.
                              Excellent breakdown.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                              X