Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh dear lord, Westboro have spawned in Adelaide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a little comment about the title. I seriously doubt He (or She) has anything to do with it. I'd imagine that He (or She) does a facepalm anytime they mention him (or her).

Comment

Ok, why the fuck is something not being done, they've breached EPA noise restriction by around 30-40 dB?
      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
        Ok, why the fuck is something not being done, they've breached EPA noise restriction by around 30-40 dB?
        Not sure. You and I are both connected to my source of all wisdom about this

Although now that you've mentioned that, someone will probably complain and the church will come under the ire of the EPA. Although someone should probably check the spruikers out as well just in the sake of "fairness." (Usually I can hear them from at least 2 shops away, so I doubt anything will happen)

Which then brings me to my next question: how in the living breathing hell are they making money? I can't imagine them holding jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
          Which then brings me to my next question: how in the living breathing hell are they making money? I can't imagine them holding jobs.
          They go to the big bank otherwise known as Centerlink.

Money for nothing......

(crap, now I have that song in my head)

Comment

Trust me, $487 a fortnight is not enough to live on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
              Trust me, $487 a fortnight is not enough to live on.
              Disability allowance? I know they're starting to crack down on it (which is why I straight-up went for Newstart as opposed to Disability) but the disability pension is $689 per fortnight.

Carer's allowance ditto.

Comment

And yet another update, however this one carried the nice sweet smell of pwnage:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226192615819

The short version was that Cornloup (one of the preachers) was trying to utilise a law that would allow him to have his "prayer meetings" and would result in the protesters getting arrested for "disturbing a religious meeting". He also appeared to be trying to get around an injunction that actually DID stop him from using the shopping strip as his own preaching ground. (It can't be enforced, but as the police and council workers have started attending those protests...)

The judge DENIED him that priveliage and also noted that he was trying to get around the injunction by not being there, but being the one to organise it.

Oh and the reason as to WHY he wanted them arrested? Because they "went against his message".

ALl this is showing is how much they'll cry free speech but they're quick to try and silence others. They can't use that argument unless they're prepared for groups to respond!

Comment

More pwnage against them. This one I LOVE the most:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/preach...-1226202787149

Basically it's now against the law for them to use amplification or stages to broadcast their messages unless they have a permit (which I suspect will be denied given that their last volume recording was 102dB). It's $750 the first time, then $50 for each day after that.

Oh and this was passed by the State Government, not by the local council for that region .

There is talk though of one of the MPs wanting to go one further and start introducing jail terms if they decide to go ahead and use amplification anyway.

The group leader himself? Well, he's going to breach them anyway of course.

I will keep you updated on any more news

Comment

About fucking time.

Comment

Yet another update and I honestly don't know whether this is good or bad:

Preachers vow to spread the word

The good news is that they'll be moving away from the shopping precinct and into other areas (technically not illegal), however one of those areas is the CEntral Markets. And of course, the protest group will head there. Needless to say, the Central Market traders are not going to be in a good mood, for two reasons:

1) Several of them are legal migrants from countries overseas, however, to Cornloup's lot, if you came from overseas, you're not an Australian.
                      2) Several of the university students stay in accomodation within the city, one of the buildings is in fact right near the markets. It's predominantly international students and I suspect they won't react well to this...

The real distressing thing is that they may start preaching on trains, buses and the tram. If that happens and they're caught, they'll be punishable with fines of $1250. Too bad I can't start recording them
                      Last edited by fireheart17; 12-02-2011, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Heh, I'd like to see them try and compete with the spruikers in the central market.

Comment

Irony...

"You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
                          -- OMM 0000

Comment

Heh, I just saw an article about that.

Comment

And the nuts now have a FB page.

Short version? Every Bible verse is misquoted. (mostly parts are missing so it's taken out of context)
                              Every video they produce to their arguments? nothing is backed up or verified, either by the scientific/theological/sociological etc. community, or through methods.

Apparaently the protestors are the "hate group" and he's crying poor constantly.

2 stupid things to note on it:

1) They are basically saying when their "prayer meetings" are occurring. (thankfully I am nowhere near them) Which allows for the protestors to show up.
                              2) He hasn't blocked off the page to members only, so anyone who wants to read can come and read. Whereas the group I'M part of? They've blocked off the page to members only

And the page as a whole is EXTREMELY biased. Every time someone points out a flaw, their argument is instantly twisted.
                              Last edited by fireheart17; 12-14-2011, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Time for an update to kick off the New Year (my time )

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226233997664

Short version: now they're moving onto the trains. And this can only get better, since one of those trains is a line I catch on a semi-regular basis (when I want to go into the city since the carparking fees are ATROCIOUS). This guy is really crying poor....he basically WANTS to be fined, so he can challenge the law in court. I'm tempted to start rocking up outside their church building holding up signs that say "There is no God" and "these people are not a religion, they are a cult!" Since after all, I'm merely utilising my right to freedom of speech that they worked so hard to enforce

Comment

Working...
                                X