People saying "God Bless"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People saying "God Bless"

I've had this statement come up a few times in my job since I work with customers. Even though I believe in God, I'm not fond of this phrase. I see it as a trite and meaningless phrase. Most of the time when a customer says it, they seem to give off an appearance of piety, without actually doing anything to make the world better. I hope I'm wrong.

Not much different from praying, really. It's just asking an unproveable superior being to do the job that the pleader doesn't want to actually do.

"God, please help the orphans in drought-stricken areas of Africa."

Alternatively, the penitent could sell all they own, take the money, and go and do some material good.

"God, let the doctors heal our Charlie."

Alternatively, go and learn medicine and come up with a revolutionary cure.

"God, find our missing cat."

Er, go around the neighbourhood with a can opener and keep hissing 'Pussy? Here pussy!'

Good mental image, that last one.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Well, this is the south and I hear some version of it every day, probably more than once each day. Usually, it's "Have a blessed day."

Wishes for me to have some sort of nice day are always welcome no matter what the faith (or lack thereof) of the well wisher. As someone over at CS said, it's better than a "fuck off." Good point, that.

The story over there was that some tool got mad because the sentiment wasn't returned word for word. What I wanted to say over there but didn't, was that if someone is wishing a random stranger well, and them gets indignant not to get an equal return on their investment, they're kind of missing the point.

Double that if they're professing to be Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
        Not much different from praying, really. It's just asking an unproveable superior being to do the job that the pleader doesn't want to actually do.

"God, please help the orphans in drought-stricken areas of Africa."

Alternatively, the penitent could sell all they own, take the money, and go and do some material good.

"God, let the doctors heal our Charlie."

Alternatively, go and learn medicine and come up with a revolutionary cure.

"God, find our missing cat."

Er, go around the neighbourhood with a can opener and keep hissing 'Pussy? Here pussy!'

Good mental image, that last one.

Rapscallion

I have to disagree with you. Praying isn't all about asking God to give you stuff or help you with whatever. It goes much deeper than that.

Comment

Alternatively, "God bless" was used as a warding phrase, like when we say "Bless you" or "God bless" after a sneeze. As in, "God bless you from a cold."

And Raps, prayer to God is supposed to be in support of you going out and doing the things to fix it. Like in Aesop, God helps those who help themselves.
          I has a blog!

Comment

I think its kinda awkward when people say that to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
              I think its kinda awkward when people say that to me.
              Yeah, but its kind of awkward when people throw "God" anything at you when you are not one of his Sheep(tm). As they seem to do so with an expection of acknowledgement or response sometimes. Which is awkward. >.>

I just go with straight old "Bless you".

"Have a blessed day" would make me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Also, while prayer may have deeper meaning to all of you, there is undoubtably quite a few people who use it exactly as Raps is describing. A lot of them are on TV on Sunday morning. -.-

Comment

I probably didn't set up the context of this phrase very well. I didn't refer to its usage after a sneeze. Besides, with that I go for Spanish "Salud" because I'm a bit of a weabo except it's Spanish language, not Japanese.

RK did a good job of why I even brought up this topic in the first place. I just felt that those who tell me "God Bless" as a greeting or whatever or doing it to show they're a Christian, but lacking any real substance.

Comment

I only ever hear bless you when someone sneezes, which was brought up in the original CS thread this is linked from.
                  I normally say guzhuntite (sp) no idea which lingo that is from, I just adopted it after hearing it on numerous american shows, although I could just say "you sneezed, well done would you like a medal?" or give out a card "Congratulations, it's a sneeze.", its polite to say bless you after a sneeze, but it's not the end of the world if someone doesn't in this day and age (soul escaping and all that)

Comment

Gezundheit
                    It's German. It translates, literally, to 'healthness.'

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I say "God Bless." But I generally say it to homeless people, who I usually offer to buy a burger or a drink for. It seems that most of them will end a thank you with that, so I've gotten accustomed to saying it, and I intend it to add to the idea that I'm not simply doing this to make myself feel good. "I'll offer a helping hand, and I pray God does the same."

I am Christian, but I generally don't say that to random people...unless they say it to me, in which case I say it back, followed by a warm smile to indicate I'm not mocking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Star View Post
                        I have to disagree with you. Praying isn't all about asking God to give you stuff or help you with whatever. It goes much deeper than that.
                        For those who are willing to go deeper with it... sadly a lot of people who pray use it as an excuse to say they have done something about the world's problems without actually doing anything.
                        Even pastors now say the actions of one do more good than the prayers of a thousand.

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                        Gezundheit
                        It's German. It translates, literally, to 'healthness.'

^-.-^
                        I've also heard that it can literally translate as "good health", my german teacher explained it as gezund= health and heit= quality.
                        Of course she was certifiably insane... so I take that with a grain of salt.
                        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                          I've also heard that it can literally translate as "good health", my german teacher explained it as gezund= health and heit= quality.
                          Not wrong and actually supports what I said.

Originally posted by dictionary.com
                          -ness

a native English suffix attached to adjectives and participles, forming abstract nouns denoting quality and state (and often, by extension, something exemplifying a quality or state): darkness; goodness; kindness; obligingness; preparedness.
                          It's quality as in state of being, not quality as the opposite of cheap.

I adore looking at the way words work. I got a lot of extra credit in German class because I'd go out and find words for all sorts of different types of things and look at how they worked, how some were the basis for words we use in English, how they related to other languages, etc.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I just say Bless You when people sneeze, and don't really bid God Bless to anyone, I guess in fear of offending yet another Christian hating mouth frother who has to take offense at the slightest well wish from someone.

Probably the same yoohoos who demand blood from being told "Merry Christmas!"

Comment

I use bless you.

If people want to wish me well in their own way I am not going to look for ways to be offended by it. Any positive energy coming my way is a good thing in any form.
                              I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ - Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                              X