End of the World death wish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of the World death wish?

With two end of the world predictions come and gone and we are still living like always, I started to think deeply about those who believe in the rapture.

When May 21st was coming up and people were seeing billboards warning of the 'approaching doom' and 'flee to Christ' and all that nonsense. People were handing out signs and whatnot, encouraging those to... 'repent'?

And of course, the media helped fuel it giving it more attention than it needed.

But the day came and went with-out so much as a earth shattering earthquake or dead rising from the graves (damn it...) and many of those who would believe the day would take them to heaven were left shattered.

Now... heres where my thinking becomes a bit confused...

Did these people... want to die? Well, die is a crude word to describe what they wanted to happened, but to leave earth as a 'spiritual being to go to heaven', the word 'die' pretty much sums up what would happen...

The way I see it... my personal opinion...
    These people are too lazy to try and help the world.
    They wanted to be rewarded greatly.
    Rather than try and make things better... they sorta give the attitude of "Eff this, I'm outta here"

They REALLY believed that the world would of ended that day, even going so far as too blow all their savings, quitting their jobs, selling everything. I've heard stories where parents have told their children that they will not be going to heaven. Families broke apart, lives ruined.

I'm struggling to understand why you would do all this... unless you were going to die... (or rise to the heavens blah blah blah).
    It makes no sense at all.

I suspect the death part wasn't what they expected - they were after the whole rising to heavens painlessly and then the apparently good parts after.

No reward = no death wish.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Right. Heaven is supposed to be so much *better* than what we have now. Free upgrade.

But really, now, anything that's going to last forever anyway there's no hurry to get to.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't think it's so much a death wish, as they want something for nothing.
        They want a better existence without having to work to get that better existence.
        Why work for a better job, or to improve you community, or donate to charities, or any other thing you can do for either yourself or the community/world to improve it when you can just hope for Jesus to end it all and remove you from it?
        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Belief about hell and damnation can really distort your world view. When you are you sure that you're going to heaven and others are going to hell, nothing else seems to matter. The way some describe hell to an already anxious mind can make the bloodiest scenes in Saw seem like a stubbed toe. I actually went through a phase where I was so terrified at the thought of going to hell, that I wanted to just not exist.

In fact, I think that's why so many fundamentalists have such barbaric views. They are so caught up in the afterlife that they forget about the one they have here.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
            I don't think it's so much a death wish, as they want something for nothing.
            They want a better existence without having to work to get that better existence.
            Why work for a better job, or to improve you community, or donate to charities, or any other thing you can do for either yourself or the community/world to improve it when you can just hope for Jesus to end it all and remove you from it?
            Which, ironically, is specifically addressed in the Bible. Jesus makes it quite clear there are no short cuts in faith, and faith is something you live not something you sit and wait to come along. Which is essentially what waiting for the Rapture is: waiting for God to come along and do the heavy lifting. People who fall for this have lost faith in the world they live in and want a supernatural "out." The Rapture fits the bill.

Unfortunately, it really doesn't exist. The whole concept is part of a weird re-interpretation of the Bible that is only about 150 years old and relies on a single passage of the Bible from Thesselonians 4 (4:17) that says, "Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

Unfortunately, what Paul was talking about was not the "Rapture" as modern interpreters would have it. Rather, he was explaining to Christians of his time that Christians who died prior to the 2nd Coming would still have a place in Christ's new Kingdom; that they would be resurrected and "caught up in the air" with living Christians to enjoy the new world. At the time, many Christians feared that if they died before Jesus's return they would miss out completely.

Even if you believe in interpreting the Bible literally, in order for Campining's prediction to be valid, the dead must be resurrected first.

The only dead coming back to life currently are the ones on AMC's the Walking Dead, and I'm pretty sure that's not what Paul had in mind . . . .

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
            Belief about hell and damnation can really distort your world view. When you are you sure that you're going to heaven and others are going to hell, nothing else seems to matter. The way some describe hell to an already anxious mind can make the bloodiest scenes in Saw seem like a stubbed toe. I actually went through a phase where I was so terrified at the thought of going to hell, that I wanted to just not exist.

In fact, I think that's why so many fundamentalists have such barbaric views. They are so caught up in the afterlife that they forget about the one they have here.
            Quoted for truth. There's something about religiosity that really brings out the asshole in people. They convince themselves they are better than everyone else around them, use it as an excuse to treat other people like shit, and completely forget the message of love and humility that Jesus preached.
            Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

I will admit that the words 'Death wish' and 'die' are really crude words to describe what they want. I couldn't think of any other way to describe it because of a limited understanding.

I'll just get that out there so not to offend anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Iseeyouthere View Post

But the day came and went with-out so much as a earth shattering earthquake or dead rising from the graves (damn it...)
                Its all good, gives me more time to stock up on shotgun shells and feul for my chainsaw.

Got to be prepared for these things you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post

qft

Not only that, but the power you can have over someone if you can make them believe that you hold the key or the map to keep them from going to hell.
                  When I was active in the Mormon church I did things to people who up until then were good friends because my church elders were telling me I had to cut ties with them if I didn't want to suffer the same fate as them... so far only 5 of the people I knew before the church (not counting family) have forgiven me for how I treated them after I joined the church. That is true power to be able to smooth talk your way into making someone believe that the only way they will be saved is by condemning everyone they knew before they met you (part of the reason I to this day tell people my only advise for when you see a missionary is to run, run as far and fast as you can).
                  "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I was at an SCA event when it was all supposed to go down. Sunday morning, I'm sitting on the porchrail drinking a cuppa joe in my pajamas, surveying the seemingly empty site. (the event was very sparcely attended anyways, there being a renfaire nearby that siphoned everyone away from us.)

A bleary eyed friend came over to mooch some coffee. Conversation as follows.

Him: Hey aren't you Episcopalean or something?
                    Me: Yep.
                    Him: So why are you still here?
                    Me: Gesturing around at the desolation around us.) Turns out, all the Pagans got Raptured. Who knew?

Comment

People have been saying time will end since time began. -.-

I think there's two sides to it:

People who want to be proven right that their God is really up there be having him come down here and taking them back to his awesome pad. Thus justifying their faith.

and

People who want to prove everyone else wrong by going "Hah! See, God came down here like I always said he would and now you're going to be punished for not listening!". Thus disproving the faith of everyone else.

They are not mutually exclusive >.>

Comment

I'm actually reminded of the endgame in B5 between the Shadows and the Vorlons - I'll do what I can to ensure that my doctrine is seen to be the right one.

Rapscallion
                        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          Him: Hey aren't you Episcopalean or something?
                          Me: Yep.
                          Him: So why are you still here?
                          Me: Gesturing around at the desolation around us.) Turns out, all the Pagans got Raptured. Who knew?

Oh, I almost broke the first rule there!
                          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                            People have been saying time will end since time began. -.-

I think there's two sides to it:

People who want to be proven right that their God is really up there be having him come down here and taking them back to his awesome pad. Thus justifying their faith.

and

People who want to prove everyone else wrong by going "Hah! See, God came down here like I always said he would and now you're going to be punished for not listening!". Thus disproving the faith of everyone else.

They are not mutually exclusive >.>
                            Why am I picturing two children, one saying "You're gonna burn in hell. I get to go to heaven!"

Comment

It seems to be fairly common amongst young Pentecostal types at the moment, I even had one who wants to go into ministry say "What's the point of trying to make the world a better place? It's all going to end in wars and fire anyway. Why even try? It's pointless, and it's not what Jesus would want." Clearly, I don't know the same Jesus that he does. Another (also ministry-bound) is uploading tons of quotes 'proving' that the world is going to end soon because of the hedonistic ways of modern society. Mind you, he's not exactly Mr Perfect.

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              <snip> (part of the reason I to this day tell people my only advise for when you see a missionary is to run, run as far and fast as you can) <snip>.
                              Or use them for almost free labour
                              When we moved across the country, we packed everything in a container. The day that we unpacked it, we had two Morman missionaries turn up to convert us. Dad's reaction was to talk to them while unloading the container and while they were caught up in rhetoric, say "Just a moment, could you grab that end for me please?" and "Would you carry this in for me?" After it was all done, he sat down with them at the kitchen table for a light meal, listened to them for a little while and said "Wait a second, I'll grab my Bible out for you and explain that point so you can understand it a little better." They left rather quickly, and the missionaries never again visited us in that town.

Comment

Working...
                              X