No announcement yet.

Kentucky church bans interracial marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so unuse to witnessing racism first hand that on the few rare occasions I have I was too stunned at the absurdity of it to say anything. Last time I distinctly remember was from a couple of American callers during Hurricane Katrina. Who just threw it so casually into a conversation as a matter of fact thing it was mind boggling. I didn't know what to say.

Before that, a long long time back, we use to handle a client that only operated in the deep south and once in a while I'd get a stunner there too. I distinctly remember a woman from Texas just making pleasant conversation with me during her order when she casually commented that since I was up so early I couldn't be Mexican. Because "wetbacks never get up before noon". I was speechless I'll admit. >.>

Comment

See, that's what I'm saying. The key phrase is "once in a while."

Racism and bigotry exists. Make no mistake, I am not denying that.

But even here in South Carolina (where an awful lot of people from other parts of the world think the clock hasn't ticked since the Buchanen administration) when we witness it, we are stunned and offended. We are outraged. Because we simply don't see it as commonplace.

They're here. And they very often band together in clumps where they don't feel the need to hide the truth about what they are. But even hardcore bigots around here usually understand that most people do not share their view and they know better than to spew their hate in public, at least.

Comment

Working...
      X