My problem with Evangelical Atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My problem with Evangelical Atheism

First things first, let me preface this by saying I am not a religious person, despite my marriage to Kheldarson, who is a devout Catholic. Hell, I can only remember how to cross myself properly because it goes in the same pattern as the Konami Code (up down left right). I like the concept of faith, and I can't accept that death brings the end of consciousness, though I freely admit that this may simply be the result of human ego. However, I don't describe myself as a believer because I don't feel that a supreme being necessarily follows logically from my experiences, nor can I make the leap of faith needed to accept belief despite that fact. However, nor do I feel that it's an impossibility, nor that a logical, scientific understanding of reality precludes belief in a supreme being.

But having established that I'm not approaching this from a deep-felt religious perspective, let's address the topic at hand. And to clarify, I'm using "you" ina generic sense to refer to the movement as a whole and trying to address the tactics I generally see used in it, not aiming this at any particular posters here.

I have four main problems with the evangelical atheist movement, which, to my understanding, intends to forcefully present anti-theist arguments and reject theist beliefs just as strongly as theist (particularly Christian) evangelicals promote their own beliefs, in an attempt to "convert" people away from religion, which the movement sees as harmful to humanity as a whole. One concerns the basic position taken here, while the others are more about the methods used.

The first point (which I think, in the long run, is actually the least important, but simply fits better at the front) is that I don't truly feel the movement is necessary, nor that religion is honestly harmful to the world. While a number of terrible events have been laid at the feet of the churches and mosques of the world (and let's be honest here, those are the only two we're ever really concerned about), and I don't wish to trivialize those in any way, I think that these events would be better attributed to small-minded, hateful people who use their religion as an excuse and justification to themselves. Does that leave their belief system at fault? No. Humans are tribal creatures, and the small-minded among us will always find a way to say that their people are Good and Justified, and that the other deserves their scorn. It doesn't matter if it's theism against atheism, one color of skin against another, or one nation against another, an excuse will be found. Religion has only provided an excuse for their behavior. Stomping out religion will not resolve the problem at it's source any more than banning violent video games would stop school violence, to use a popular meme from a few years ago.

On to the important part, the methods. This comes in two parts, because I see two issues here. The first is that the movement, at it's heart, seems to be about lowering yourself to your opponent's level and trying to beat them at their own game. To be more specific, giving up the usual logical arguments to instead debate on an emotional level, which is what faith generally resonates with. I simply ask, why? Why would you give up the high ground, here? I can't even begin to comprehend why, faced with a belief system founded entirely upon years and even generations of emotional attachment, you would rather attack this massive wall of emotion rather than attempting to strike at the foundations of weak logic. Isn't this just taking the most difficult route to your goal? To be extremely nerdy, Saruman's orcs didn't try to cut a path through the wall around Helm's Deep, they instead attacked the weakest point at the wall's foundation.

The second issue with the methodology seems to again come from this idea of lowering yourself to your opponent's level, and that is the tendency to turn any debate into a childish battle of insults and mockery, simply doing everything possible to offend the theist side of the argument. At what point did anyone think this was a good idea? Not only have you given the high ground yet again, but it does nothing to convince the other side. And yes, this has once again ceded high ground. Pathos is just as much a part of debate as Logos, however those in the debate may feel about that, and engaging in this sort of behavior at best makes you look just as bad as the xenophobic, offensive evangelical theists you seem to be trying to counteract. If your theist opposition instead decides to be the better people and plead for understanding and coexistence, then you are the ones who appear to be angry, small-minded, and hateful - the exact traits you claim to despise in religion.

This leads easily into my final point. This movement, as a whole, is counterproductive. If your intent is to drive people away from religion, this is possibly the single worst way to go about doing it. From basically every angle. You aren't engaging in any real debate, so you look like you have no stronger foundation for your claims as the other (and while yes, the burden of proof lies on the one making the claim, just pointing that out in an argument comes off just as strongly as "nuh-uh, you do"). You're trying to attack an emotional bond by disparaging it, which isn't going to convince anyone. Ever managed to get a girl to break up with a guy by insulting him? It's not terribly effective. Pushing an emotional attack this way is just going to put people on the defensive, and encourage them to rally around and further protect their beliefs. And finally, like I said in the last paragraph, it makes you look no better than the ones you're supposed to be arguing against. You don't come off as rational people pointing out the flaws of a belief system. You look like everything theists fear about atheists. In fact, you're actually demonstrating one of my previous points - that all the bad things being chalked up to religion are hardly exclusive to it.
    Last edited by KabeRinnaul; 12-15-2011, 11:03 AM.
    "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
    TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
    The first point (which I think, in the long run, is actually the least important, but simply fits better at the front) is that I don't truly feel the movement is necessary, nor that religion is honestly harmful to the world.
    While I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your post, I actually believe that religion has done great harm.

The Catholic Church's refusal to advocate for condoms and birth control has done great harm (overpopulation among the very poor and the spread of STDs and HIV). The Hindi belief that cows are sacred has done harm because you have large sources of food walking around starving people, and they aren't allowed to eat it. Evangelical Christian doctrine has done great harm by impeding progress when it comes to civil rights in almost every category. Christian doctrine in America has also interfered with our education system, insisting their beliefs be taught as fact, and that students remain ignorant about other facts they consider 'taboo,' like sex education. This causes teen pregnancy rates to be high, which I don't consider a good thing.

I hold no scorn or distaste toward religious individuals. I believe that people have the right to their beliefs, even though I don't share them. I save my scorn for the organizations behind the religion and the political power they hold.

Comment

First of all, there is no single atheist movement. There are a number of organizations that are atheistic and who are running various ad campaigns and filing various lawsuits. These organizations do not necessarily agree with each other on tactics.

Atheists are using emotional arguments? Can you give some examples, because I haven’t seen it. And that’s odd, because I’ve been following the atheist community pretty closely. (I considered putting community in quotes, because there is no single atheist community, but there are organizations promoting a sense of community among atheists.) I see almost exclusively logical arguments posited by atheists.

Hasty generalizations do not make an argument. You’re going to have to provide at least some examples if you want to make your case. Then, once you’ve made your case, then we can discuss whether your conclusions are accurate.
      "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Religion, in and of itself, has done jack squat to harm people.

It's not religion that causes these things. Religion is merely a framework; the people in power, who want to remain in power, use that basis to push through an agenda that will keep their base stable and growing.

Ignorance is a powerful tool, and it's not merely religions that use it. Look at the lies spouted by the anti-smoking campaign. It's not as egregious as it once was, thankfully. it used to be that they'd tell outright lies; now they content themselves with abusing statistics to tell a false narrative.

Fox news does the same thing with politics. Two recent examples include a chart about the unemployment rate which shows a flat line at the end of the chart, despite the numbers indicating a clear drop, with the headline tying the data to Obama's presidency and a case where an image of Mitt Romney was replaced with Obama in a llineup of how the Republican runners were doing in Iowa.

I don't disagree that the push to keep people pumping out kids they don't necessarily want does society as a whole ill. However, having the "other side" stoop to the level of schoolyard bullies trying to force theists to stop being theists is hardly any better than, say, that same bully trying to force a gay kid to not be gay.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There is as much an Atheist community as there is a Christian community. If you can lump one group all together, you can lump the other all together.

Plus, this post is specifically about evangelical Atheists. If you're not an evangelical Atheist, then it's not about you.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            If you're not an evangelical Atheist, then it's not about you.
            I never said it was about me. I was just asking for some evidence to back up the original argument, which was extremely vague.

Which arguments that atheists are making are emotional? Where is this "childish battle of insults and mockery"? Where are the examples to back up what looks to me like an unfair stereotype?
            "The future is always born in pain... If we are wise what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world." --G'Kar, "Babylon 5"

Comment

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
              I never said it was about me. I was just asking for some evidence to back up the original argument, which was extremely vague.

Which arguments that atheists are making are emotional? Where is this "childish battle of insults and mockery"? Where are the examples to back up what looks to me like an unfair stereotype?
              It is admittedly vague, because on the whole, it's an impression I've gotten over time, having read a number of arguments on the matter. I'm sure I could find a number of posts in this very forum to serve as more concrete examples, but I'd rather not make this into an attack on individual posters.

What's given me this impression has been that the arguments made against religion have a very confrontational tone. The arguments are never made to encourage debate, but to offend and provoke emotional responses. It's things like entering a thread discussing a particular point of belief and demanding that believers either provide evidence to support their faith or admit that the entire debate is hypothesis and thought experiment. It's arguing that those who do good in the name of religion always would have done good, and religion only ever excuses the bad. Though in fairness, theists make that exact same argument from the other side. Neither is particularly productive.

Either way, it seems to me that it's become more important to the atheist argument to be hostile to religion than to actually attempt a debate.
              "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo

Comment

Ok, I see. When you said "atheist movement", I thought you were referring to specific atheistic organizations. But you were actually referring to individuals and inferring a whole buttload of things about atheists, in general, based on your small sample size. But since you don't have any specifics and were just making an unfair stereotype, there is no discussion here worth having.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghel View Post
                  Ok, I see. When you said "atheist movement", I thought you were referring to specific atheistic organizations. But you were actually referring to individuals and inferring a whole buttload of things about atheists, in general, based on your small sample size. But since you don't have any specifics and were just making an unfair stereotype, there is no discussion here worth having.
                  Or by "atheist movement" I mean "a movement within atheism" or perhaps, as atheism isn't exactly a unified belief system or community itself, "a movement composed of atheists and promoting atheism". I know there are atheists who aren't evangelical or "antitheist", and I never intended to refer to atheism as a whole, because that particular ideology is too varied to ever encompass in a single statement.

My argument, simplified and compressed, and being written at a time other than 5 AM, is thus:

Having observed that there are atheists who are outright antitheists, believing that religion in and of itself is harmful to both human beings and humanity as a whole, and that there seems to be either a trend within atheism or an effort by certain atheistic circles to be more outspoken and vocal in expressing this belief, I notice a tendency, within their debates with theists, to approach religious debate with open hostility and an apparent aim to offend rather than discuss. Whether or not they actually intend to cause offense is beside the point, because it happens regardless of their intent. I find this approach to be unnecessary, immature, and counterproductive. It only serves to reinforce the theist belief that the world is a sinful place set against them by the forces of darkness - that the atheists really are angry, hateful people out to destroy their beloved faith. So they'll tend to hunker down and become further set in their beliefs, all in the name of defending them from assault.

Like I said before, trying to get someone away from religion by being hostile to their faith is like trying to break up a relationship by being insulting and degrading to the partner you dislike. People won't react by distancing themselves from it. They'll instead leap to the defense of it, to protect their emotional bond.

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
                    Like I said before, trying to get someone away from religion by being hostile to their faith is like trying to break up a relationship by being insulting and degrading to the partner you dislike. People won't react by distancing themselves from it. They'll instead leap to the defense of it, to protect their emotional bond.
                    Um, from an atheist point of view, and I'm no evangelical, I do know from experience that if you disagree however politely with anything said by certain people of faith, it's automatically claimed to be an attack by them, or an act of hostility.

It's not every religious person, but enough to make me think that they were overly defensive and reckoning on offence being a good defence etc.

Rapscallion
                    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                      Um, from an atheist point of view, and I'm no evangelical, I do know from experience that if you disagree however politely with anything said by certain people of faith, it's automatically claimed to be an attack by them, or an act of hostility.

It's not every religious person, but enough to make me think that they were overly defensive and reckoning on offence being a good defence etc.

Rapscallion
                      On a similar note, I've spoken with atheists who perceive the very notion of theism as laughably foolish and take every opportunity to mock, deride, and condecend to practitioners of a faith.

It;s not every atheist--but there are enough that I can see where the "more intelligent than thou/Hostile Atheist" stereotype came from.

Comment

Yeah, and if you say "I disagree" and they consider that an attack, then they're being assholes. That shouldn't be an atheist or non-atheist point of view, that should be a human point of view.
                        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

You get the same thing from the other side. Evangalicals of either stripe need a good smack upside the head with a tuna.

It's just a little more baffling when people who claim to not have any faith at all become so emotionally outrageous in their own attacks and defense; shouldn't they be governed more by the logic they usually claim the other side is lacking?

^-.-^

Comment

For childish mocking: no, I won't go look for citations. But any use of "sky pixie" or any similar sort of terminology counts, for starters. Rather than trying to prove something *is* silly, just talk about it *as if* it's silly, in the most absurd-sounding wording you can come up with. Along with that goes any instances of pretending that the figurative or allegorical is literal (again, "old guy up in the sky watching you" comes up often enough, depending on who's playing that game), etc.

Anyone who says they don't know what I'm talking about or that it never happens is, quite simply, lying through their fingers.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'm guessing this was spurned by specific Atheist billboards in the other thread. The ones that are pretty much just trying to troll theists rather than present any sort of rational or convincing argument. These seem to be primarily from American Atheists who have had 3-4 different billboards now that are pretty much just trolling people.

Though I have seen a similar attitude in a select few other atheists both online and offline. My uncle for example is utterly insufferable about it and takes any opportunity possible to basically call everyone else an idiot for believing in <insert religion here>. Then revel in his own smug superiority afterwards.

Still, its cutting both ways, seeing as Atheists appear to be just as trusted as rapists. But its not solving anything either way.

Originally posted by AdminAssistant
                              The Hindi belief that cows are sacred has done harm because you have large sources of food walking around starving people, and they aren't allowed to eat it.
                              I'll give you the Catholic Church, but this is just silly and frankly ignorant. By your logic I'm doing harm because people are starving and I haven't fried up my cat for them. Even putting aside the callous suggestion that an animal exists only in case we want to eat it. Hindus can and do eat dairy so said cows are still providing food to the theorhetical starving people in question. Which is also assuming that supply is the only obstacle between said starving people and not starving. As opposed to poverty.

Comment

Working...
                              X