Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christian group ends support for breast cancer screenings due to Planned Parenthood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian group ends support for breast cancer screenings due to Planned Parenthood

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Southern Baptist Convention's publishing division is recalling pink Bibles it sold to support breast cancer research, after it says some money went to Planned Parenthood.

Lifeway Christian Resources no longer markets the pink-bound version of The Holman Christian Standard Bible and is recalling copies it sold, according to The Tennessean.

A portion of the purchase price went to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
    The Komen foundation issued a statement in which it said all proceeds from the Bible sales were going to breast cancer screenings and expressed disappointment in Lifeway's decision.

Lifeway's move came after complaints that some local Komen affiliates were helping fund cancer screenings at Planned Parenthood, which also provides abortions.

The pink Bibles had been in stores since October.

If you don't know, the Republicans and Christian right have been trying to cripple Planned Parenthood all year. Some states have even succeeded in blocking government funding the group receives. An attempt was made to defund them at the Federal level, but it failed.

And now we have this group withdrawing Bibles that were sold in support of those who are dealing with Breast cancer because of a PP connection.

Not very Christian, IMO.

How so? From what you've copied and from articles I'm now looking at, LifeWay will be allowing Komen to keep the money they've raised so far. They've just decided, after finding out that the money is going to a group that they are ideologically against, to discontinue raising any extra money.

This would be like you decide to give money to a local charity, only to find out later that they give part of the donations to the KKK for some of the good work the charity wants done. Would you still support the charity?

Not comparing abortionists to white supremacists but instead pointing out the incongruity of what we're asking LifeWay to do.
    I has a blog!

Comment

.....!

I was going to respond, "Unbelievable!" but sadly, it's anything but.

I don't quite understand, though: they're *recalling* the Bibles? I only know of two sorts of recalls of items that have already been sold: in some, you bring them back for a refund, and in others you're told to throw them away. Neither would make sense in this case, regardless of how the money had been used, because it HAS already been used. It went to Planned Parenthood or to the moon, it doesn't matter: it's gone. A refund would then have to come from the publisher, which hurts PP not at all but instead only means it will cost more for Sunday School materials (not that theirs are any good anyway; politics thinly veiled rather than actual Bible study, if the last time I was in a class using it is fair representation). Or the convention itself. Not that I'd mind either losing money; it just doesn't make sense. And of course in the meantime you're withdrawing (perfectly usable, even if tacky in coloration) Bibles from circulation; hardly a good way to spread the Word. Of course, if they *replace* the pink Bibles with normal ones... well, that still doesn't take anything away from Planned Parenthood, and still means money lost for the SBC or Lifeway which they could, presumably, have put to better use. It would, though, spare their customers the embarrassment of carrying around pink Bibles

Then again, they wouldn't have put it to better use, but a worse one.

I wonder if they've made progress on picking out a new name yet. Last I heard, they wanted a change because both "Southern" and "Baptist" had negative connotations among groups they wanted to reach. Never mind how those words *got* those negative connotations, and certainly never mind any idea of altering behavior so as to earn a better reputation... sorry, I'll quit now.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
      X