No announcement yet.

This shows some of the darker side....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This shows some of the darker side....

of another of the world's old religions. I heard this on the BBC World last night

Ultra Orthodox Jews want the Modest dressing thing for women too.

it is not just the Koran/Islam/certain cultures that "required" women to be modestly dressed. it seems that a growing population in a city in Isreal of hard core unltra orthodox Jews are wiping up a frenzy over "whoreish" clothing worn by women.

there are groups of extreamists shouting insults at passing females. they are also calling for the speration of sexs going so far as wanting females to be able to walk on only one side of the street. there have also been alligations of groups spitting on young children.

The alleged assault came days after Channel 2 aired a story about an eight-year-old American girl, Naama Margolese, who said she was afraid to walk to school because ultra-orthodox men shouted at her.

The broadcast has inflamed secular opinion, with activists planning to hold a rally in Beit Shemesh on Tuesday to counter what they say is intimidation by sections of the ultra-orthodox community.
    so I guess that this behavior is REALLY cross religious.

but then my solution would be this: hmmmmm don't want to be "turned on" or induced into "carnal thoughts" by some female showing too much ankle well take a cold shower dummy or just cut it OFF completely.

why oh why is it ALWAYS the females fault when some male gets "bad or sexual" thoughts cause he can not "keep it in his pants"?????? hmmm just a natural biological reaction that NEEDS to be supressed.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Yeah, I don't get this either. A man can't control his own behavior, and somehow it's the woman's fault.

What's particularly irritating about this is technically, men are supposed to dress modestly, too. The double standard has only come about in modern times where men feel free to do what they want but women can't.
    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Meh - seems to be common in the three Abrahamic religions.

Rapscallion
      Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

The sad thing is, I can see this being used as an excuse by some people to be anti-Semitic.

Comment

Actually, this just shows the darker side of some male persons.

I would suggest that there are quite a few persons of the male persuasion out there who think it's their right as "men" to make sure females "know their place." They will use any excuse...she was dressed "like a whore" (open to their interpretation of what that means, of course), she was uppity, she didn't show the proper deference to males, etc, etc. Some of these assholes use religion as an excuse. If it wasn't religion, they'd find another excuse.

"Men" who do this don't need an excuse, really, despite what they come up with to justify themselves. If they were hardcore atheists, they'd still be insulting women on the street. Because it's not about religion or moral outrage. It's about control and intimidation.

The last hundred times I have personally walked past a construction site/through a parking lot/through a bus stop/across a street/take your fucking pick, I can guaran-damn-tee you that the asshole yelling insults at me wasn't trying to uphold the tenets of any religion.

Comment

Unnamed ultra-Orthodox activists from Beit Shemesh issued a statement condemning the violence, but also accusing the media of initiating "deliberate provocations in order to make the peaceful, quiet and tolerant residents, who live their lives according to their beliefs, look bad".
            Bull-fucking-shit.

They were the ones who were throwing stones at the reporters and cops, and they were the ones who were persecuting an 8 year old girl. And they claim they are the ones being picked on? Of course it's not uncommon for backwards fundies to claim persecution when confronted on their persecution of others. But I guess it's "righteous persecution" when they do it in the name of religion. Same bullshit different religion.

We need to stop allow freedoms to be taken away in the name of culture and religion.
            Last edited by Rageaholic; 12-28-2011, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
              Meh - seems to be common in the three Abrahamic religions.

Rapscallion
              I think that may be more monotheism than just Abrahamic religions, as long as God is defined as one gender or the other, the followers will have reason to believe that gender is superior to the other. It also defends bigotry, if there is but one all powerful God, then anything that is not that God or supporting it, is not worthy of respect. Compared to polytheist religions where it is possible for there to be both male and female gods of equal status where no gender is inherently superior to the other. Also, if there are multiple gods, it is less threatening to have someone believe in something else, because after all, your gods aren't all powerful, so why should they be threatened.

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post

We need to stop allow freedoms to be taken away in the name of culture and religion.
              I'll give an uncharacteristic AMEN to that.
              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I think we can all agree to that
                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  I think that may be more monotheism than just Abrahamic religions, as long as God is defined as one gender or the other, the followers will have reason to believe that gender is superior to the other. It also defends bigotry, if there is but one all powerful God, then anything that is not that God or supporting it, is not worthy of respect. Compared to polytheist religions where it is possible for there to be both male and female gods of equal status where no gender is inherently superior to the other. Also, if there are multiple gods, it is less threatening to have someone believe in something else, because after all, your gods aren't all powerful, so why should they be threatened.
                  Partly, Smiley... Judaism WAS polythiestic. If you read the Torah correctly, their is a feminine aspect to 'God'... (for that matter, if you read it in the original Hebrew, you'll find the word for 'God' in Genesis is actually in the feminine plural but it chops and changes, depending on which verse and line, and of course, which book).

So, in this respect, it's not so much whether it's a monotheistic religion, but who has been controlling it (ie, the men on Earth).
                  ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                    Yeah, I don't get this either. A man can't control his own behavior, and somehow it's the woman's fault.
                    Original sin(if you believe in religion), Eve was convinced by the serpent to partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, she then convinced Adam, Adam lied to God, and they were cast out of Eden.

*According to one of the Churches I went to the original sin was not eating the fruit, but lying to God(not taking responsibility for one's actions and blaiming another). And just as in genesis, the male blames the female for his own shortcomings.
                    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                      Original sin(if you believe in religion), Eve was convinced by the serpent to partake of the fruit of the tree of knowledge, she then convinced Adam, Adam lied to God, and they were cast out of Eden.

*According to one of the Churches I went to the original sin was not eating the fruit, but lying to God(not taking responsibility for one's actions and blaiming another). And just as in genesis, the male blames the female for his own shortcomings.
                      I think original sin can be blamed for a lot of irrational thinking and hatred in religions (that and fear of damnation).

Comment

Perhaps the Original Sin was believing in sin...???
                        ZOE: Preacher, don't the Bible got some pretty specific things to say about killing?

SHEPHERD BOOK: Quite specific. It is, however, Somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps.

Comment

Working...
                        X