Afterlife: Why only two options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
    My problem with street preachers is when they are describing the tortures of hell in graphic detail in a public place with children present.

The guy almost got decked.
    almost? did you miss?
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
      My problem with street preachers is when they are describing the tortures of hell in graphic detail in a public place with children present.

The guy almost got decked.
      Oh fuck those people! They are the worst.

In fact, I almost got traumatized by looking up an online one WHEN I WAS EIGHTEEN!!. We weren't too religious and didn't go by all the rules, but I was raised believing in heaven and hell. And when I started searching random stuff, then find a much more horrific description of hell than in the cartoons, yeah...

It really made me question what I believed and why, but I still get shaky when I contemplate death too much.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
        almost? did you miss?
        I have a temper. When I was a kid my first reaction to getting angry was to hit people. I try to avoid that. I stormed up to the guy really close to hitting him and shoved my hands in my pockets to avoid it. Instead I pulled out some change counted out two pennies put them in front of him and said,

"this is my two cents shut the fuck up" then I walked away shaking.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

I wrote my dissertation (joint English/Creative Writing) as a story called Limbo Incorporated; the bureaucracy of the afterlife!! As background research I collected and made up something like twenty different ways people who end up there (ie everyone XD) can head off to. Something to appeal to everyone.

The folk who marked it loved it. I got a 68 - two marks off a first.

...now back to your regularly scheduled debating.

Comment

Originally posted by siead_lietrathua View Post
            Genisis4:16 So Cain went out from the LORD’s presence and lived in the land of Nod,[f] east of Eden. 17 Cain made love to his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain was then building a city, and he named it after his son Enoch.
            Cain was cursed to wander the Earth. "Nod" is Hebrew, "To wander". He also married his sister basically. She's not named anywhere that I recall but Adam & Eve had many children in Genesis so those would be the only available females around... >.>

Genesis 5:4 - "And the days of Adam after he begot Seth were eight hundred years; and he begot sons and daughters."

Genesis 5:5 - "And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died."

So he kept on farkin' till age 930. Genesis sets out a loose timeline of Adam's life and notable children. But sets no timeline to Cain's story and when he picked up his wife. But there are other non-Biblical sources. Jewish Midrashic tradition for example states Cain killed Abel because they had sisters they were going to marry and Abel's sister wife was much sexier than Cain's.

There are a number of Christian apocrypha and pseudepigraphica(sp?) works with similar mentions and themes.

Basically, the paradox of Cain's wife is like many of those in the Bible: Inadvertantly created by the people that put the Bible together. You know, the twits that originally decided what goes in and what doesn't. Who in doing so fucked quite a bit up and didn't really concern themselves with stuff like "editing" and "plagarism" and what not. >.>

Remember, stuff like Revelations was basically added because it seemed like an awesome ending. Even at the time, Revelations was considered weird and controversial and its addition was not a matter of "Oh yeah that totally sounds like divine truth!" but more "Ehhh...I don't know guys....I guess it *does* give us an ending. But really? Have you read this crap?"

Comment

Working...
            X