How Much More Can Florida Fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much More Can Florida Fail?

Florida is one of those weird states where it's not usually considered a "Southern State", but continues to try and push religion and other issues that are staples of the Bible Belt. Considering how I'm in no way religious, it irks me whenever lawmakers slide their religious views into legislation and manage to get it passed.

Recently, we had a school prayer bill passed which will allow students to give "inspirational messages" (i.e. sermons) at mandatory and optional school functions. So basically, this law will allow students to stand before a captive audience and preach to them for (I'm assuming) however long they please.

Great. Now what'll happen if someone wants to get up and preach about Islam or Buddhism, or hell even Satanism (wouldn't that be a fun one?). Somehow, I don't think that's what the lawmakers had in mind when they first conceived this abortion of a bill.

Keep religion out of schools, period. If you want a sermon, go to church. If you want to learn, go to school - never shall the two meet.

I rather hope some kdis take advantage of this to spread their views on, say, Wicca, paganism, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Duelist925 View Post
      I rather hope some kdis take advantage of this to spread their views on, say, Wicca, paganism, etc, etc.
      Wouldn't THAT be nice...but I bet that ends up getting shot down as well cause it's not Christianity, and therefore not a "real" religion.

What about atheists? can they give "inspirational" messages too?
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I went to high school and college in Orlando (GO KNIGHTS!). We were allowed to hold a morning Bible study on campus, before classes started, and we also had a an official club (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) sanctioned by the school. Both of these met outside of official school hours, so it was permitted at the time. The only other religious participation we were allowed to have was a locker room prayer before taking the field at sporting events.

This new law has controversy written all over it. They changed the wording from allowing prayer to allowing inspirational messages. What exactly is an inspirational message? Does it have to be inspirational to more than one faith? Do they have to give equal opportunity to each belief system?
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post

I think they can. Then again, any message is better than the "turn or burn" crap the evangelicals spew.

Comment

Originally posted by Seifer View Post
            Great. Now what'll happen if someone wants to get up and preach about Islam or Buddhism, or hell even Satanism (wouldn't that be a fun one?).
            They'll be told by the faculty that their topic isn't appropriate and asked to find something more in the spirit of the Lord law. And if they go ahead and do it anyway, probably be stopped by faculty and punished for the attempt.

What, you thought public schools supported free thought?
            "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
            TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

I find a lot of the more froth mouthed religious bills people are trying to shove into law around the US right now are primed to totally backfire the moment another religion uses them. They're kind of setting a trap for themselves. Once another religion makes use of it, they'll flip out again and rant about how they really just meant it for Christians, then get bitchslapped over how horribly illegal that is. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                I find a lot of the more froth mouthed religious bills people are trying to shove into law around the US right now are primed to totally backfire the moment another religion uses them. They're kind of setting a trap for themselves. Once another religion makes use of it, they'll flip out again and rant about how they really just meant it for Christians, then get bitchslapped over how horribly illegal that is. ;p
                Part of me really now wants to move to Florida just so I can watch it backfire.

On a side note, I'm sick of people labelling certain values as being entirely "Christian" values. This applies more to people who want to send their kids to a religious school and aren't <religion> themselves. If you yourself are not religious, you are quite capable of teaching your kid to be tolerant and respectful of others, to help others in need and to be generally nice. Your kid will not turn into a sociopathic neo-nazi if you send him to a public school.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                  On a side note, I'm sick of people labelling certain values as being entirely "Christian" values.
                  Problem there is the "Christian" values lot are the ones that co-opted said values to begin with. Now they've worked themselves into a lather trying to drag the country kicking and screaming backwards into a golden era of Christian Nation(tm) that never actually existed in the first place but they all inexplicably remember fondly.

Its...a bit surreal. -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Duelist925 View Post
                    Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                    Wouldn't THAT be nice...but I bet that ends up getting shot down as well cause it's not Christianity, and therefore not a "real" religion.

at that point I would point out to them (the school admins and/or district) that the US government, specifically the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, etc.) DO INDEED recognise these as legitimate belief systems and do have the personell to handle the "cerimonies" and burials. they even have approved symbols for use on grave markers.
                    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                      at that point I would point out to them (the school admins and/or district) that the US government, specifically the Armed Forces (Army, Navy, etc.) DO INDEED recognise these as legitimate belief systems and do have the personell to handle the "cerimonies" and burials. they even have approved symbols for use on grave markers.
                      But thats obviously just the suberversive satanic atheists spreading their hatemongering and trying to stamp out christianity and wow I cant even finish this without wincing in pain.

Comment

I will tell everyone how that goes. I still know people in High School and my cuz's in middle/elementary school.

And we wonder why Florida has one of the worst educations in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                          I went to high school and college in Orlando (GO KNIGHTS!). We were allowed to hold a morning Bible study on campus, before classes started, and we also had a an official club (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) sanctioned by the school. Both of these met outside of official school hours, so it was permitted at the time. The only other religious participation we were allowed to have was a locker room prayer before taking the field at sporting events.
                          I don't have a problem with the first part of this because it's voluntary. The people there volunteer to be a part of those activities and are just using the school grounds as a convenient place to meet. But then again, I don't have a problem with a town that wants to put a manger in the park. I don't see either activity as the state sponsoring a particular brand of religion.

The second part, I have a little more of a problem because it is stepping over the line since not everyone on the sporting squad is Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
                            DO INDEED recognise these as legitimate belief systems and do have the personell to handle the "cerimonies" and burials. they even have approved symbols for use on grave markers.
                            The key word is "Approved". Wiccans were not allowed their own gravemarkers until 2007 and that took 10 years and a lawsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                              The key word is "Approved". Wiccans were not allowed their own gravemarkers until 2007 and that took 10 years and a lawsuit.
                              sorry. bad choise of words on my part.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                              The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Working...
                              X