Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is atheism geared more toward christianity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is atheism geared more toward christianity?

I was reading an article concerning Atheists and Christians. As I perused the random comments left by other readers, I found one that was kind of interesting. It read:

"Here's another interesting fact - Atheists only go after the Christians. They don't go after Jewish or Muslim communities or any other religion."

Now, I don't keep up with all things Atheist - I don't normally read about their rallies or do research into their movement, so I'm not up to speed on what's going on. Therefore, this comment gave me pause. I know a lot of Atheists are vocal about Christianity (and Catholicism, I'd assume, since they're pretty similar), but I can't remember ever hearing about an atheist group picketing or demonstrating against any other religion but those that strictly believe in Jesus.

The first thing that comes to mind is that perhaps Atheists are more vocal toward Christianity than anything else because Christianity is one of the biggest religious groups in America. Not to mention they're also a vocal group who have a lot of power in our government.

What do you guys think? Do you think Atheists are focusing on Christianity more than any other religion? Why?

Well, just going from the threads I've read and participated in on this forum, the vast majority of rants are specifically about Catholicism, and there's an awful lot of blanket comments about both Christianity and generic 'religion' that are still specifically about Catholicism. Most of the rest after that tend to be various flavors of Christianity. I can't actually remember a debate about another religion that wasn't actually about a cultural issue and not really religious.

As for why, I have noticed that a large number of anti-theistic atheists are also recovering Catholics. I've actually known a couple dozen myself, although the more mature of them tend to stop lumping every religion or even every branch of Christianity in with Catholicism.

^-.-^
    Last edited by Andara Bledin; 04-21-2012, 07:11 PM.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

A lot of it has to do with Christianity being the main religion of the united states (I don't know about the rest of the world). I know a lot of atheists and non religious folk were once Christian but stopped believing and become outspoken about it. Many were in the more extreme denominations which believed in all the doomsday, fire and brimstone stuff. Obviously, they saw the harm of it, but unfortunately didn't realize that not all Christians are like that.

Personally, I try not to have a problem with what people believe as long as it's not hurting anyone. Unfortunately, the most outspoken Christians are extremely judgemental, threatening people with God's wrath if they don't change their ways. However, that might be for a different thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Seifer View Post
        but I can't remember ever hearing about an atheist group picketing or demonstrating against any other religion but those that strictly believe in Jesus.
        When's the last time you saw a Jewish person trying to get congress to pass a law banning bacon, or a Jainist, or a wiccan.

Atheists merely want the government to remain secular, or free of religion, yet one particular group can't help but stick it's nose in where it doesn't belong.

We really for the most part don't care what you believe(though we may think it's silly), just don't try and force us to live by your religious rules, and the ONLY groups that try to force their version of morality on others in the US are christians and to some extent(moreso in other countries)muslims.

Same sex marriage
        Abortion
        Birth control
        stem cell research

90% of the objections to these things that are no one else's business are objected to and challenged/confined/banned due to "religious interference"

archdiocese wants priests to circulate petitions to recall same sex marriage bill in washington state
        Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
          Atheists merely want the government to remain secular, or free of religion, yet one particular group can't help but stick it's nose in where it doesn't belong.[/URL]
          Atheists is no more a coherent group that theists. There are absolutely atheists who are also anti-theists who want to abolish religion entirely, not just be allowed to co-exist in peace as equals as much as there are theists who have no quarrel with people of other religions doing their own thing without hindrance or interference.

Both sides have their extremist assholes and to claim otherwise is naive and/or ignorant.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
            When's the last time you saw a Jewish person trying to get congress to pass a law banning bacon, or a Jainist, or a wiccan.

Atheists merely want the government to remain secular, or free of religion, yet one particular group can't help but stick it's nose in where it doesn't belong.
            exactly, I'm 99% sure that if Jewish or Muslim people in America were to start trying to cram their beliefs down our throats there would be a lot of atheists complaining about Jewish and Muslim people. As it is, at least in North America, most Jews, Muslims, and others just want to be left alone without having others believes down their throat also.
            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I've actually seen a lot of criticism of Muslim practices from atheists/non theists. Particularly sharia law in the middle east. (lots of videos of women being stoned to death or whipped for petty cultural reasons). I think as bad as some of the Christian fundamentalists are here in America, at least they're not completely in the dark ages. The few videos I've seen of Islam fanatics are truely terrifying.

Comment

Atheism is not, but Anti-Theism, in my experience, generally is.
                "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

As others have pointed out, the reason that militant atheists target Christianity and/or Catholicism is because Christians/Catholics are the most vocal groups (in the US) about trying to ram their religion down others' throats. It's a direct backlash.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                    As others have pointed out, the reason that militant atheists target Christianity and/or Catholicism is because Christians/Catholics are the most vocal groups (in the US) about trying to ram their religion down others' throats. It's a direct backlash.
                    I have to agree with this, as the main issue.

I think another part of it is simply a reactionary cycle....atheists bash xtians because xtians bashed them, because they absed the xtians, who bashed the atheists...etc, etc, etc, to the point where some do it simply because "Their an xtian/atheist!"
                    Last edited by Duelist925; 04-22-2012, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Duelist925

I have to agree with this, as the main issue.

I think another part of it is simply a reactionary cycle....atheists bash xtians because xtians bashed them, because they absed the xtians, who bashed the atheists...etc, etc, etc, to the point where some do it simply because "Their an xtian/atheist!"
                      A lot of it is that. Doesn't help that both sides tend to have the good folks stay silent and just let the douchewaffles talk.

Comment

Originally posted by bunnyboy View Post
                        A lot of it is that. Doesn't help that both sides tend to have the good folks stay silent and just let the douchewaffles talk.
                        Yeah, youtube is a great example of that. Both assholery and ego whoring on both sides on the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                          Agreed. And it really is unfortunate for us non-assholes who do consider ourselves Christian. We tend to get lumped into category of 'crazies', because of these vocal assholes.

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                            Agreed. And it really is unfortunate for us non-assholes who do consider ourselves Christian. We tend to get lumped into category of 'crazies', because of these vocal assholes.
                            What bothers me is when Atheists I know insist that I'm NOT really a Christian, 'cause I'm not... Whatever crazy thing I'm supposed to be.

The right tries to keep me from destroying Christianity, and the left tries to keep me from destroying homosexuality.

I'm gay. I'm a Christian.

Stop trying to protect me from myself.
                            "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                            ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
                              What bothers me is when Atheists I know insist that I'm NOT really a Christian, 'cause I'm not... Whatever crazy thing I'm supposed to be.

The right tries to keep me from destroying Christianity, and the left tries to keep me from destroying homosexuality.

I'm gay. I'm a Christian.

Stop trying to protect me from myself.
                              I think it's sad that it's gotten to the point where people expect Christians to be hate mongers, especially toward homosexuals. But then again, when you hear some of the crap evangelicals and other blowhards spout on television and over the radio, you get this warped idea that that's how Christians act.

I remember hearing a story on the radio from a homosexual Christian. He stated that another Christian man (straight) had said that he thought all homosexuals should be executed. When the homosexual man (who, remember, is also a Christian) asked, "Who would you have kill me, Brother?" the asshole responded with, "Me, hopefully."

It's that kind of unwarranted hate that makes people detest Christians.

Comment

Working...
                              X