• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Handler Dies; World Unsurprised

http://news.yahoo.com/serpent-handli...opstories.html

So, a guy died
    From being bit by a snake
    From a group that believes being part of their group renders you immune to being bit by snakes
    His father also died
    From being bit by a snake.

You know, at some point, MAYBE someone should reconsider their interpretation of the bible.

The way I see it, a guy dies from it... Fine, if it's the first time it happened. I might not even care that much if just nobody he knew ever died from it. We don't always put a lot of stock in something that happens to someone we don't know/have never met. But really, if your DAD died from it? And you were THERE?

I mean, he even sites his Dad's death as being very inspirational.

Which is even THEOLOGICALLY ridiculous.

Either you handle snakes fine, because you're part of this snake-handling group. Or you can get killed by snakes, because your faith is weak.

And he talks about how strong his father's faith was. His father who was killed by snakes.

There's a serious rift here.

I know I'm being a little mean-spirited about this. I'm not happy he's dead. I'm really not. I don't really WANT anyone to die, unless their death will somehow stop them from continuing to hurt other people.

But...

Come on...

He MUST have saw that coming.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

This is the relevant scripture from the Gospel of Mark:

He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. 16 Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18 they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well.”

Personally I think this passage is meant to be more metaphoric than literal. The Bible uses the image of a snake or serpent to represent evil (for example.during Eves encounter in the Garden of Eden). I think Jesus was s essentially saying: Those who believe in me will overcome evil and do great things.

Comment

Clearly, they did not believe hard enough.

Also, this reminds me of Hot Shots Part Deux.

"These monks have taken a vow of celibacy, like their fathers before them'

Comment

While I completely agree that the irony here is thick, and the guy's beliefs really make no sense, there's one thing I can't understand. Why is this considered news?

Comment

No problem there; it's just a matter of doing things in the right order.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by ExRetailDrone View Post
            While I completely agree that the irony here is thick, and the guy's beliefs really make no sense, there's one thing I can't understand. Why is this considered news?
            Because honestly, the people in these snakeholder groups don't really die that much.

Seeing as, well, they've kinda had to learn how to hold snakes. He wasn't bit handling the snake, in fact, he was bit while sitting next to it.

That and the irony was too great NOT to comment.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
              Clearly, they did not believe hard enough.

Also, this reminds me of Hot Shots Part Deux.

They're obviously allowed two weeks of vacation from celibacying each year .

Comment

Is someone able to give me the Cliff Notes version of snake handlers have to do with religion?!

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
                  Is someone able to give me the Cliff Notes version of snake handlers have to do with religion?!
                  Short version: They interpret a particular passage of the bible that someone quoted earlier in the thread as being very literal, and thus believe snake venom will have no effect on them as long as their faith is strong.

Its exactly as stupid as it sounds.

but I like snakes, so....good for them? eh? *shrug*

Comment

Do you mean to tell me that at no point did he think this practice was going to turn around and bite him in the ass?
                    "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Evidently not.

And then it literally did. >_<

Honestly, if you believe you can't be bit by snakes due to a passage...

And then your dad gets bit by a snake...

Then either you have to think your dad was not a great man of faith... Or the passage is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Duelist925 View Post
                        Short version: They interpret a particular passage of the bible that someone quoted earlier in the thread as being very literal, and thus believe snake venom will have no effect on them as long as their faith is strong.

Its exactly as stupid as it sounds.

but I like snakes, so....good for them? eh? *shrug*
                        Hmmm....I wonder if I could hand some snakes to the preachers and tell them that if they can handle lawyers and whatnot, then their faith should protect them from snakebites.

Comment

That's in large what they believe. That's why they hold snakes all the time. And why this guy got bit.

'Cause he was holding a snake. >_<

Comment

What they forget is this: even taking that passage literally, it shouldn't be used the way they use it.

The idea is that they won't get bitten if their faith is strong enough.

But in testing their faith on a matter where God says he will protect them if it's strong enough, what they're really testing is God. Which not only shows a lack of faith, but is also proscribed several times in the Bible.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                            X