Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How dare you say something to support my faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How dare you say something to support my faith...

... that isn't 100% consistent with my faith's doctrine.

Yesterday I had the most bizarre argument I've had to date with my sister in law. We were talking about Norse mythology, and I could remember Asgard was the world of the gods, Midgard is where we live, and that there was another one below that that I couldn't remember.
    I mentioned, I know it is the same idea as the Telestial kingdom in Mormon doctrine (Mormon doctrine has three kingdoms, Celestial, where God the father lives, Terrestial, where we live, and Telestial which is a lower kingdom).
    And she flipped out that how dare I compare her true faith to a Norse myth.
    I pointed out that it was a common belief and if anything it supported her doctrine, that it was something that for a long time people understood to be true, that your doctrine has taken that existing understanding and added/discovered more of the true nature of things.
    You'd think that would be a good thing.
    Nope, that just made her even more irate, how dare I insinuate that the true church grew out of the myths of an ancient and unenlightened people. After all, the doctrine says there can only be one truth... I still fail to see how other people working to understand that truth you now understand somehow lessons that truth, but okay, I won't try to agree with some of the tenets of your faith.
    "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

The third realm is Utgard.

Was she reacting out of ignorance or an automatic defense mechanism because of the attacks on the validity of the origins of her faith?
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I understand where she's coming from, I think.... but it depends on the wording. The two systems are alike in having three layers; are they otherwise alike? Saying "the same as" would imply the one copied directly from the other, basically only changing the names, whereas something less direct ("somewhat analogous" or "sort of like" or whatever) makes it clearer you don't mean it that way.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

"unenlightened?"

I think if she was to spend a day with some of my Viking re-enactment group, she'd think differently

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
          Was she reacting out of ignorance or an automatic defense mechanism because of the attacks on the validity of the origins of her faith?
          I think a little of column A, little of column B

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          I understand where she's coming from, I think.... but it depends on the wording.
          my exact wording (as far as I can remember) was "the two are very similar, I can see how one belief expanded on the other." This may just be a differing point of view, but for me telling me what I believe was something older than I thought it was, though in a different form, strengthens my beliefs, see, I knew it wasn't that far fetched, even they knew about it back then, where she I think was hearing it as see you aren't so special.
          Apparently though, the Jerry Springer Ogden house (as I am now calling my in-laws house... seriously, when all of us are together it is like Jerry Springer without the ability to change the channel) any mention of religion from me is disrespectful, but my inlaws may speak of religion as much as they want and my failure to hang upon their every word is disrespectful (and they wonder why I don't go up there more than once a month).
          "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

You go there that often? I'm surprised.

Rapscallion
            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Utah Mormons are known far and wide as the most close minded, self rightous and exlusive of the LDS anywhere.
              I myself grew up LDS in Minnesota, and after moving to Utah I could see where people got the hostility from.
              Of course, the wifes uber-Mormon family members like to pretend that we tattood, hard drinking, pagan folk don't really exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                You go there that often? I'm surprised.
                That often, or even go at all ever.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                  The third realm is Utgard.

Nifelheim actually, Utgard is a completely different world/place IIRC it's actually a part of Midgard, much like Alfheim and Svartlfheim is considered a part of Asgard, and Hel is a part of Nifelheim.

well for those who don't take the 9 worlds as 9 worlds on Ygg's Steed.

Comment

Hel's realm is actually named after the being that rules there, Hel, the half woman half corpse daughter of Loki.

Hell get's its name from her (they are pronounced the same). The original Christian name came from the Jewish Gehenna.

Modern Christianity: Heaven (Paradise), Earth, and Hell. Or, if you prefer, Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell.

Maybe the OP's SIL should come up with different names for the days of the week:

Saturday (Saturn's Day), Wednesday (Wotan's Day), Thursday (Thor's Day), and Friday (Freya's Day).
                    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Don't forget Sunday (for the sun), Monday (for the moon), and Tuesday (Tiw's [aka Mars'] day).

They're all quite non-Christian in origin.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                        Saturday (Saturn's Day), Wednesday (Wotan's Day), Thursday (Thor's Day), and Friday (Freya's Day).
                        You forgot Tuesday (Tiw's Day).

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                          You forgot Tuesday (Tiw's Day).
                          I think Andara got that one and more.

Rapscallion
                          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                            I think Andara got that one and more.
                            Yeah, I didn't see her post because of the page change. *shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea
                              Hel's realm is actually named after the being that rules there, Hel, the half woman half corpse daughter of Loki.

Hell get's its name from her (they are pronounced the same). The original Christian name came from the Jewish Gehenna.

Modern Christianity: Heaven (Paradise), Earth, and Hell. Or, if you prefer, Heaven, Purgatory, and Hell.

Maybe the OP's SIL should come up with different names for the days of the week:

Yup, well aside from Friday, which is Friggs day.

Comment

Working...
                              X