Tolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mytical View Post
    People are up in arms because CFA is not showing tolerance, but isn't it a bit hypocritical? I mean..ok..I don't agree with it, but shouldn't tolerance run BOTH ways?
    you need to read these articles

article 1

Many people are confused about what tolerance is. According to Webster's New World Dictionary, Second College Edition, the word tolerate means to allow or to permit, to recognize and respect others' beliefs and practices without sharing them, to bear or put up with someone or something not necessarily liked.

Tolerance, then, involves three elements: (1) permitting or allowing (2) a conduct or point of view one disagrees with (3) while respecting the person in the process.

Notice that we can't tolerate someone unless we disagree with him. This is critical. We don't "tolerate" people who share our views. They're on our side. There's nothing to put up with. Tolerance is reserved for those we think are wrong.

This essential element of tolerance--disagreement--has been completely lost in the modern distortion of the concept. Nowadays, if you think someone is wrong, you're called intolerant.

This presents a curious problem. One must first think another is wrong in order to exercise tolerance toward him, yet doing so brings the accusation of intolerance. It's a "Catch-22." According to this approach, true tolerance is impossible.

Most of what passes for tolerance today is not tolerance at all, but rather intellectual cowardice. The classical rule of tolerance is this: Tolerate persons in all circumstances, by according them respect and courtesy even when their ideas are false or silly. Tolerate (i.e., allow) behavior that is moral and consistent with the common good. Finally, tolerate (i.e., embrace and believe) ideas that are sound.
    discrimination is not at all moral, or consistent with the common good.

Article 2

Tolerance applies to how we treat people we disagree with, not how we treat ideas we think false. Tolerance requires that every person is treated courteously, no matter what her view, not that all views have equal worth, merit, or truth. To say I’m intolerant because I disagree with someone’s ideas is confused. The view that one person’s ideas are no better or truer than another’s is simply absurd and contradictory.
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 07-31-2012, 02:21 AM.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Ditto what BK said. Just because we tolerate someone's views does not mean we should respect them. If someone has a view which states that all black people should sit in the back of the bus, should they be respected? The Christian stance of gays isn't much different. Just because they use religion to justify their dangerous views does not make them any less dangerous.
      Last edited by Rageaholic; 07-31-2012, 08:53 PM. Reason: Word Change

Comment

I've only eaten at Chick Fil A once. I liked it, but I can do without it.

I just hope it doesn't come out that the owners of Chipotle have an agenda like this, because I would hate it if patronizing them meant giving money to conservative bigotry.

As to the OP, people like this are free to voice their opinions. However, the rest of us are also free to voice our disagreement with those opinions. Likewise, we are free to boycott their businesses if we don't like what they give their money to.

Comment

McDonald's owns Chipotle and McDonald's is, I believe, neutral on the subject.

Comment

McDonald's sold off its part of Chipotle a few years ago.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Given the meme used in Chick Fil A's advertising (cows standing on their hind legs, painting billboards with messages encouraging the consumption of chicken rather than beef), I wouldn't be surprised if someone came out with a cartoon poking fun at their opposition to gay marriage: two cattle standing on their hind legs, hugging and kissing (from either horns/nose rings, or udders, it's obvious that they're of the same gender). One has a paint brush in its front hoof, and has written the message "Eat more chikin - at KFC". Intentional spelling error - taken straight from one of their billboards.

Slightly off-topic, but the cattle depicted as painting billboards have black-and-white spotted hides. The only breed I know of with that colouration is Holsteins - a dairy breed, and therefore not likely to be slaughtered for sale as beef.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
                I do not lie about my faith when asked about it, but I certainly don't give them extra grief because of their lifestyle choices.
                Be happy that you can be open about it at all. A lot of atheists and homosexuals are too worried to speak their mind because of backlash from "good Christians" or other religious people. I have a college friend who is incredibly religious, and I'm afraid to discuss my atheism with her because I'm worried it will change our friendship. It shouldn't, but I'm not naive enough to think it won't.

Eventually, I hope we as a country can get past that problem. I think it's a good sign that a lot of people are up in arms over what the CFA president said - 60 years ago, the majority of people would have cheered him on. Perhaps it means that people are starting to look past religion and actually focus on the rights of others, even if they don't agree with the majority's ideals.
                Last edited by Seifer; 08-05-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                  Given the meme used in Chick Fil A's advertising (cows standing on their hind legs, painting billboards with messages encouraging the consumption of chicken rather than beef), I wouldn't be surprised if someone came out with a cartoon poking fun at their opposition to gay marriage: two cattle standing on their hind legs, hugging and kissing (from either horns/nose rings, or udders, it's obvious that they're of the same gender). One has a paint brush in its front hoof, and has written the message "Eat more chikin - at KFC". Intentional spelling error - taken straight from one of their billboards.
                  I haven't seen that exact idea, but there have certainly been a lot of imitation cow ads from all this. One has the row of three cows, one word per sign, reading "eat mor cok." A cartoon I've seen has someone (presumably Cathy) standing at a lectern to the left, saying something about "Biblical" and marriage, with the cows to the right holding signs saying "we r gay" with one of the cows saying "awkward", etc.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    The only thing more deafening in this debate than Chick-Fil-A and their Christian supporters defending them, is the absolute and utter silence from Christians opposing them... I have heard absolutely zero people opposing them because of their Christianity, the closest I've come is people opposing them in spite of their Christianity. And then those Christians who do oppose inequality shake their heads in sorrow asking why everyone thinks that Christians are bigots.
                    I'm Christian, and I oppose CFA's stance because Christ preached love thy neighbor. That was his main message, love one another. In his time the hated people were the Samaritans. Today it would be the gays.

Comment

Is Chik-Fil-A a publicly traded company? If so, did the Board of Directors or Shareholders agree to giving these donations to antihomosexual marriage groups?

Comment

Working...
                      X