Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Things Christians Need to Remember about Politics

Article

This basically sums up my views about Christian politics. Although I think it's lessening the importance of elections too much. I do believe every election is equally important, but I feel as though the author is dismissing each election as if it really doesn't matter, which I feel is the wrong message.

I'm immediately turned off at the headline.

The article really isn't much better. >_>

Seriously, five of the seven things are valid to everybody, not just Christians, and need to be remembered by others as well.

And I agree that his thoughts about the "most important election" are flawed and, honestly, built on information that isn't entirely accurate.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
      Seriously, five of the seven things are valid to everybody, not just Christians, and need to be remembered by others as well.
      It should be noted that the magazine is targeted towards Christians, hence the article being about its audience.

Comment

I'm immediately turned off at the headline.
        Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
        It should be noted that the magazine is targeted towards Christians, hence the article being about its audience.
        The same can be said about the headline. From an outside perspective it seems like it is patronizing, but keeping in mind that it is written in a Christian magazine makes it more of an attention grabber than an attempt at patronizing. Or, should I also be turned off by the recurring headline every year that the QSaltLake publishes "x number of things that GLBT people should know about the PRIDE festival"?
        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Considering that the publication is targeted, the headline is just redundant. And still vaguely insulting.

If it were things that were all specific to the targeted group, then it would be more excusable, but when most of the items are things that everybody should be aware of, it's just patronizing.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Considering that the publication is targeted, the headline is just redundant. And still vaguely insulting.

If it were things that were all specific to the targeted group, then it would be more excusable, but when most of the items are things that everybody should be aware of, it's just patronizing.
            So, if a women's magazine published an article about health tips for women, and some of it were about getting a mammogram regularly and others were less gender specific (i.e. washing your hands regularly), you'd be just as insulted?

I agree many of these are things that everyone should think about during elections, but frankly I don't see how a Christian magazine publishing these items to their subscribers with their faith in mind is at all insulting.

Comment

I think the existing headline serves better than, say, substituting "people" for "Christians." Otherwise, someone flipping through could easily think it's things *other* people should remember (listed, perhaps, so Christians will remind them of them).

It is indeed very much like a women's magazine listing "Things women should...." Not patronizing, just specific.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
              X