A year of Biblical Womanhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year of Biblical Womanhood

a woman spent a year following the Bible's proscription for being a "good wife".

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/201...uthor#comments

she went so far as to call her husband "Master", moved into a tent in the front yard when she was on her period, only wore flowing robes,walked arouind town with a sign declaring her husband was "AWESOME, AND kept JEWISH holidays.

while some men might find this a turn on it seems this to be a biet Stefordish in nature and her husband really did not like what she was doing.
    I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
    The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

I can see doing that to understand something but I can't see doing it for the length of time. It's even harder to understand the time when her spouse didn't like it.

Comment

What were your thoughts on AJ Jacob's "The Year of Living Biblically"? Same idea, carried out by a man. I don't find the idea any more or less creepy when carried out by her than I did when Jacob's did it.

Comment

Admittedly, it might shut up some of those people who claim that we're a "Christian" society.....

Comment

Modern christianity as evidence in the media doesn't have that much to do with the bible, quite frankly. It's a hodge-podge of good intentions, selective beliefs, and 'hoping I'm right so I can get into heaven'.

I have to admire people like this who will live their lives as the faith they follow decrees. I really do admire them for having the strength of their fath.

I think they're batshit insane, but at least they're actually following their religion's holy text.

Rapscallion
          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

I thought that one of the issues was that with Jesus came a new Testament which pretty much null and voided what was prescribed in the Old Testament. In fact, I seem to remember reading stories about Jesus scolding those people that followed the Old Testament to the letter but were still jerks.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
              I thought that one of the issues was that with Jesus came a new Testament which pretty much null and voided what was prescribed in the Old Testament. In fact, I seem to remember reading stories about Jesus scolding those people that followed the Old Testament to the letter but were still jerks.
              This is true. Jesus was against stoning adulterers, abstaining from shellfish, among other things. Another thing that was appalled were people who make a big show out of their works out of pride to look self-righteous, which is something a lot of evangelical Christians completely miss.

Comment

This, this, a thousand times this.

She wasn't following her religion's holy text, because Jesus (and James, for that matter) makes it extraordinarily clear that we do not have to follow the old law. In fact, it makes it clear that the old law is too much to follow, which is why Jesus was necessary. He fulfilled the law and simplified it down to "Love the Lord" and "Love your neighbor as yourself." And that's all there is to it.

Comment

Not only are the old laws hard to follow but it sounded like in many cases there were contradictions. Interestingly enough, I heard that the the dietary restrictions came out of the fact that they lived in a desert and things tend to spoil if not taken care of properly. In fact, shellfish has a tendency to kill you.

Comment

Interestingly enough, I heard that the the dietary restrictions came out of the fact that they lived in a desert and things tend to spoil if not taken care of properly. In fact, shellfish has a tendency to kill you.
                    If you take a look at all of the old food restrictions, the majority tend to be things that were observed to kill you; like shellfish and pork. Since they didn't know about contamination, they ascribed the results to God. Which, in a roundabout way, is true.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yes, most of the old laws were for the sake of health. This almost certainly also includes the much talked about laws against homosexuality, especially given that the old laws make no mention of female homosexuality. Sodomy in general would've been a very dangerous and unsanitary way to have sexual intercourse during those days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaden View Post
                        Yes, most of the old laws were for the sake of health. This almost certainly also includes the much talked about laws against homosexuality, especially given that the old laws make no mention of female homosexuality. Sodomy in general would've been a very dangerous and unsanitary way to have sexual intercourse during those days.
                        Not...really. Women can carry a ton of horrible genital diseases, especially when they live in deplorable conditions and don't keep themselves clean.

Comment

So did she sacrifice a pigeon after her periods ended? PETA might have something to say about it if she did.

Comment

Originally posted by draco664 View Post
                            So did she sacrifice a pigeon after her periods ended? PETA might have something to say about it if she did.
                            That's if PETA were even aware that she was doing it.....>.>

Comment

Working...
                            X