Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doc says no Copper-T Because of Religion

But the other one's ok!
    This didn't happen to me but to a friend. Goodness, if it had happened to me I would have been very, very vocal about my displeasure.
    SO my friend when to the Obgyn to get an IUD. I don't think she really cared which one. The doc told her she could give her the plastic one, but not the copper-T. Because the copper-T prevents implantation.
    "WTF," I said, "The Mirena also does that, should the birth control dosage not work. Hell, it's bigger than the copper-T. It's function is still as an IUD. That's one hell of a compromise."

If you have serious issues with legal products and applications in your field, either suck it up and do your job, or change fields. Go be a podiatrist. And the same thing for those pharmacists that have refused to give people their birth control bills that they are paying for with their own money. Go work in regular retail, see how well that works out. I wish I could refuse to sell short-shorts!

I suspect that his views, while still incredibly stupid, are more or less based around the following concept (culled from Wiki):

There's this idea that copper IUD's have also been used as a form of emergency contraception and are kind of like a non-hormonal version of the morning-after pill. On the other hand, the mirena contains the hormones, which in some cases, do not allow for an egg to be released and also thickens the cervical mucus preventing the sperm from reaching the egg. Mirenas generally are also not used as a form of emergency contraception due to the hormones. (not sure how 100% accurate this may be, but if it's anything like the Implanon, the Mirena generally shouldn't be inserted if you suspect you're pregnant or after a certain day of your cycle)

Remember though, IANAD and that's just culled from Wiki.

Comment

Copper is a great contraceptive because its ions have a spermicidal effect. It is contraceptive in of itself, with or without the hormones.

There's evidence that hormones after sex in an IUD form is more effective than oral forms, and it has the advantage of being able to be continued for regular contraception.

The disadvantage is finding someone to insert it in a short window: 72 hours after sex.

Copper or plastic (such as Mirena) are both effective, but copper just works better due to its nature.

There are some people who mistakenly believe all forms of emergency contraception are abortion. This is patently false; it does not kill a zyogte, and the evidence they affect implantation is slim to none. They really prevent conception, and if you don't conceive you aren't pregnant. Unfortunately, the medication is labeled with a warning that it might affect implantation. There are calls for this language to be removed because there is little scientific evidence to support it.

The doctor in question should know all this. Unfortunately, some doctors don't bother to read the literature and get stuck with unscientific ideas in their heads.
      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

I think any doctor that would refuse any medication/procedure on religious grounds should be required to make that known up front. Then I can know not to go to them in the first place.
        I'm liberal on some issues and conservative on others. For example, I would not burn a flag, but neither would I put one out. -Garry Shandling

You can't believe in something you don't. -Ricky Gervais

Comment

Working...
        X