Religious Literature...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religious Literature...

and proselytizing to people who can't run away.

I can't stand when people do this to me. When I'm at work, I'm forced to smile and be kind, even to any douchebag SCs who happen to walk in. Today, I had an older man start chatting me up, and to be polite, I listened. Eventually, he pulls out a bundle of religious prayer books and told me to "keep it in my pocket." Offended, irritated, but smiling, I played it off and immediately went to the back room to toss the prayer books in the garbage.

The man followed up with me a few minutes later, asking if I'd put it in my pocket. I lied and said I put it in my locker.

I understand that some religions urge their followers to proselytize and preach to others, but it pisses me off when they do it to me at work. I can't say what I want to, ("I'm an atheist, and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't give me religious literature.") and instead have to act like I give a shit about someone's religion.

(As to why I can't say the above, I'm pretty sure it would raise a stink - especially with people bold enough to go around preaching and handing out religious literature to total strangers. I also feel like the most polite thing to do is smile, accept it, and throw it away when the "gift giver" has left.)
    Last edited by Seifer; 11-29-2012, 05:43 AM.

Talk to Security or Management. They generally don't take kindly to that sort of thing, especially when they're being pushy and not buying anything.

Comment

People handing out materials are generally considered to be soliciting, and as such, are prohibited from doing so in most commercial locations.

If you have a "no solicitors" sign, just point to it and explain that you are not allowed to accept such material and send them on their way.

I once had one of these types start screaming at me about how I was going to hell because I wasn't willing to listen to her preach at me while I was waiting for my ride home from the local community college. And that's actually the second time one of those types went apeshit because I wouldn't listen to their sanctimonious sales pitch.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
        Talk to Security or Management. They generally don't take kindly to that sort of thing, especially when they're being pushy and not buying anything.
        Interestingly when it happened to me, they often did buy something. Probably just to tell security they were paying customers.

I only once had a really pushy one who eventually needed the store manager to come down and throw them out. Best one about that was from how she described her group it sounded more like a cult. Everyone else at least simply left the literature on the counter, which I promptly threw away.

Comment

It makes me wonder: does ANYONE read this crap and get converted by it?

How much more good could they have done by spending the money on religious literature that uniformly gets thrown away on soup kitchens or other charity work for the poor.

I've never had this problem on the job, just at home where it's a lot easier to tell these folks to move along, thank God.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

You don't have to act like you give a shit because it's religious material. You have to act like you give a shit because it's a customer. If they wanted to sit there and bash the political ideals you believe in, you'd have to still remain civil and courteous. You're a representative of your workplace. You'd be punished for fighting/arguing with a customer, not for being Atheist.
            Last edited by MadMike; 11-30-2012, 12:20 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post

How much more good could they have done by spending the money on religious literature that uniformly gets thrown away on soup kitchens or other charity work for the poor.

I've never had this problem on the job, just at home where it's a lot easier to tell these folks to move along, thank God.
              Very few are converted and they're usually the ones that are on the fence already. But in their eyes saving a single "lost soul" is worth more than anything.

I get Jehova's Witnesses and Mormons knocking on my door all the time. I always make it clear to them that I'm a Catholic and they won't convert me, but if they want to discuss religion they're more than welcome to. I've learned quite a lot about each of their faiths this way, and I hope I've taught them more about mine.
              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post

The Jehovah's Witness pamphlets - Watchtower and Awake! - are at least moderately interesting to read, if you have any interest in comparative theology. I have yet to receive anything outside of those two that offered any intellectual value - yes, Jack Chick, I'm referring to your execrable pamphlets.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                  You don't have to act like you give a shit because it's religious material. You have to act like you give a shit because it's a customer. If they wanted to sit there and bash the political ideals you believe in, you'd have to still remain civil and courteous. You're a representative of your workplace. You'd be punished for fighting/arguing with a customer, not for being Atheist.
                  Yeah, that was kind of my point. I can't say what I want to say, because it would be considered rude. Instead, I have to smile and act like I'm not offended (i.e. like I give a shit). Of course I wouldn't be punished for being an Atheist, that's not what I said.

I have other customers who come in and bash Obama when the gas price goes up a penny. It pisses me off, but I have to be polite to them either way.

Comment

I don't even pretend to be nice, if they give me religious crap I throw it away. I ask them 4 times if I can get them anything and if after the 4 times they keep going I move on to the next person or go back to what I was doing before they showed up, my job is to get people fish not to have someone try and save me. I don't put up with that bullshit.
                    "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

I tell the truth. Had that happen once. I was still polite about it. Just said no thanks

Comment

Indeed.

You can absolutely remain polite and helpful and utterly refuse to accept what they're handing out.

Unless your boss specifically requires that you accept their propaganda, there's nothing rude about a polite decline.

Then again, what's that saying about "No = Rude"?

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I hate when I get caught when I'm delivering to one of the four churches. It was so bad in one when I was waiting for a signature one if the nuns had to come to my rescue. I'm not allowed to discuss it at all when working.

Comment

Some stores I guess just don't want to hurt feelings. My bosses back me up 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                              I have yet to receive anything outside of those two that offered any intellectual value - yes, Jack Chick, I'm referring to your execrable pamphlets.
                              Comedic value, however...

I'm gradually building up a nice little collection of Chick's nonsense.
                              "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                              TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Working...
                              X