No announcement yet.

Misconceptions about Ex Christians.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is how it should be, especially if it's about a relationship with God. Too bad a lot of Christians don't see it that way.
    Thank you.

I think the problem is that people get more caught up with the appearance Christianity than the actual gospel parts.

Worship is a loving act, and you can't love someone at gunpoint.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by Hyena Dandy View Post
      Thank you.

I think the problem is that people get more caught up with the appearance Christianity than the actual gospel parts.

Worship is a loving act, and you can't love someone at gunpoint.
      I think it's that fear of being judged by your peers. It can be about what makes you more or less devout (ie does having a Buddha statue make you more or less Christian than someone who has a Russian icon image in their house?) or whether your actions are very Christian of you or not.

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
        I think it's that fear of being judged by your peers. It can be about what makes you more or less devout (ie does having a Buddha statue make you more or less Christian than someone who has a Russian icon image in their house?) or whether your actions are very Christian of you or not.
        There's also the sense of obligation. You're made to feel like you owe God something and that you're a selfish rotten person for not giving enough back. This is something I've come to despise because of how manipulative it is. In fact, I consider it emotionally abusive. In no healthy relationships are you made to feel guilty for everything.

Comment

There's also the sense of obligation. You're made to feel like you owe God something and that you're a selfish rotten person for not giving enough back. This is something I've come to despise because of how manipulative it is. In fact, I consider it emotionally abusive. In no healthy relationships are you made to feel guilty for everything.
          In other words, pressure to LOOK religious instead of BEING religious.
          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
            I have a feeling that such an image was why my mother was insistent on the entire family being at church every Sunday. Never mind that some of us went to Catholic school and were *tired* of it. As if that wasn't enough, I was pressured into getting confirmed for similar reasons. It was never about what *I* wanted, but what my mother did. No wonder then that I no longer practice it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
              Yeah, some places that is very heavy

I know a church where they had a huge outdoor Written: Jesus died for your sins, what have you done for him.

They later had a gigantic hand pointing at the reader, and gigantic bold letters saying simply "How many souls have you brought me today?"

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
                They later had a gigantic hand pointing at the reader, and gigantic bold letters saying simply "How many souls have you brought me today?"
                That message sounds less "Christian" and more "Video Game Villain". Like if maybe Shang Tsung contracted out his soul-eating.
                "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Working...
                X