Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proselytizers and the assumptions that they make.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proselytizers and the assumptions that they make.

Now I'm pretty tolerant of other people and their religious beliefs even if they are not my own. When the local proselytizers come knocking on my door I'm a little grumpy, but that's because I work at nights and sleep during the day and I've just woken up.

While I may be a little groggy and a little grumpy I'm still polite, I simply explain that I'm not interested and send them on their way wishing them well.

But this elderly couple went over the line. At least the woman did. When it was revealed that my disheveled state was due to my just having been woken up, the women mumbled under her breath (yet still somehow was managed to be heard by me...and quite clearly at that) that it was..."disgraceful how someone could be lazy like that".

Remember the part of me being grumpy and groggy? I have a pretty good brain-to-mouth filter when I'm awake and have to be in a professional environment. Not so much when I'm on my own time. Even less so when I'm tired and pissed off. This woman got both barrels.

I really don't remember what I said for the tear I went on. "Judgmental Bitch" was the first thing that came out as well as the explanation that I work nights at the local hospital supporting the Doctors and Nurses that save lives and that if I can't sleep during the day for fear of raising the ire of judgmental fools like her then when in the living fuck *can* I go to sleep?

A return volley from her ensued saying "how the fuck was she to know" (for a religious type she had as much of a potty mouth as I do...but not as creative as I can get) and started throwing scripture at me regarding the treatment of others.

To which I shut her up with "Matthew 7:1 through 7:5!" and GLARED at her. She actually recoiled as if I had beaned her in the face with a baseball bat. I didn't actually say the old adage of "Judge not lest ye be judged" but quoted the actual chapter and verses.

I believe that she honestly didn't expect me to actually know the Bible.

Still stammering and trying to gather her thoughts the man grabbed her by the shoulders and walked her back to their car and drove off.

I'm not proud of what I did but at the same time I'm not apologizing for it either.
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

I think you should be proud.

People like that need to be confronted from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
      A return volley from her ensued saying "how the fuck was she to know"
      And that's precisely the point. You don't know, so keep your fucking mouth shut until you know for a fact the reason behind sleeping during the day.

Other perfectly valid reasons that do not constitute laziness:

- Flu or other illness
      - Sleeping in during a day off
      - Diagnosed narcolepsy

Comment

...or just having a flexible personal schedule. Just because you're asleep *now* doesn't mean you sleep an inordinate amount.

I just don't answer the door anymore. It's NEVER going to be someone I want to talk to. Unless, of course, I've ordered pizza
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

There are dogs in my yard. My doorbell never even rings.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

If they're going to come to people's door like that, they have no right to complain about how they present themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
              If they're going to come to people's door like that, they have no right to complain about how they present themselves.
              This is why I've gotten to the point that when missionaries show up at my door, I immediately remove my trousers (if I'm even wearing them) before opening my door... for all you know, I always lounge around in my home in my boxers (especially during the summer when I don't want to pay for air conditioning, especially since that's exactly how I spend a lot of time at home in the summer), don't like it, don't show up to my home unannounced. You'd be amazed though how the site of a barely covered fat man will make missionaries want to cut their spiel short
              I'm still polite, and I don't feel bad about making people uncomfortable, because, as I said, you are the one attempting to enter my home, so I'm uncomfortable too, so there, I've made us equal.
              "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

I think it was perfectly fine to call her out on her own shit. The fact that you actually knew scripture was even better, since she got a taste of her own medicine. She'll probably write the lesson off as you being a bitch, but maybe she'll have a little flashback the next time she feels like judging someone in their pajamas.

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                  I'm still polite, and I don't feel bad about making people uncomfortable, because, as I said, you are the one attempting to enter my home, so I'm uncomfortable too, so there, I've made us equal.
                  OMG! I love you for this! I have answered the door in a towel, but for me it has the opposite effect, seems Mormons(that's all I've ever gotten-and they only send males) are not at all made uncomfortable by a partially clothed female....., one actually wrote his phone number in the book of mormon he gave me
                  Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Hehe I still think my granddad had a great way of dealing with them. He'd simply ask his wife to hand him the shotgun

I only had to deal with them once--when I was watching the house after my grandmother's car accident. I had some Mormon get upset with me because I wouldn't listen to him. Keep in mind that I was breaking up old fence posts for a bonfire. Sick of it, I told him to "look around, do you see any houses? I have 80 acres at my disposal to hide bodies. Get the fuck out." Never had one stop by after that. Can't understand why

Comment

A couple of months ago my friends and I were playing Dungeons & Dragons, and we spotted some Jehovah's Witnesses making their way around the cul-de-sac. They didn't come to our door for some reason, but if they had we were going to invite them to play with us.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                        , seems Mormons(that's all I've ever gotten-and they only send males) are not at all made uncomfortable by a partially clothed female.....
                        And the ones that aren't uncomfortable with an only partially clothed male are the ones that I might want to invite into my home
                        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                          OMG! I love you for this! I have answered the door in a towel, but for me it has the opposite effect, seems Mormons(that's all I've ever gotten-and they only send males) are not at all made uncomfortable by a partially clothed female....., one actually wrote his phone number in the book of mormon he gave me
                          horny Mormon? (I'm not trying to make fun of the religion, just the fact that one of the Mormons was trying to hit on the poster)

This is why I hold much more respect for those religions that do not proselytise as a rule. This also goes for the branches of Christianity that don't do outright blatant preaching. Examples include the uniting church of Australia (mixture of Presbyterian and Methodist) and the eclectic Christian groups (there's a Christian centre not that far from my house which does not link itself to one particular branch.)

I should be clear, I don't hate those people who practice the religion, I hate those people who preach to others about their religion in an effort to convert.

Comment

We used to have various groups trying to convert us. Most stopped coming around after my brother discovered he had a large capacity for talking bullshit.

I had 2 little old 'ladies' try to convert me to their church when I was about 13. When I refused to open our wire door, they tried to slip leaflets under it. As soon as i saw the name of the church, my response was 'Why in all the hells would I step foot back inside the church that I had to go to during primary school? With the same ignorant priest that called me evil because I have red hair?'

The expressions on their faces still makes me smile.

And yes the priest really did call me evil because of my red hair. He also called me evil when I said I had nothing to confess to during reconciliation. What 7 year old has anything to confess?

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Ginger View Post
                              And yes the priest really did call me evil because of my red hair. He also called me evil when I said I had nothing to confess to during reconciliation. What 7 year old has anything to confess?
                              Aww, come on. Surely you snuck a cookie into your pocket, broke a lamp and blamed it on the dog, or at least thought about mailing your sibling to Timbuktu from time to time.

Comment

Working...
                              X