Pope Benedict to resign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pope Benedict to resign

So the pope has decided that now is the time to resign, rather than dying.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/w...-1226575738886

Apparently he's the first to do this in six centuries.

Old person retires. Front pages held.

Rapscallion
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
      So the pope has decided that now is the time to resign, rather than dying.

Apparently he's the first to do this in six centuries.
      It is very rare for men/women to give up positions of power.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
        It is very rare for men/women to give up positions of power.
        It's less rare when that power is balanced with heavy duties.

Comment

So the Pope gave up for Lent? Cool.

Comment

I am reallyyyyyyyy trying not to make so many jokes about it on facebook, but I found the situation amusing honestly >> /bad person

Comment

On my FB I'm seeing comments (intelligent ones from friends, not bitchy) wondering if something's about to be exposed about him. All that's come out thus far is that he has a pacemaker. I'm genuinely glad he's looking after his health, I don't imagine that being Pontiff is an easy job in the slightest. Poor old dude.

I knew it was fine for popes to resign, didn't know the last one was six centuries ago though O.o

Not religious but am going to be glued to the TV for Conclave just as I was in 2005 ^^ I find it fascinating. Some of the candidates the BBC covered look really good - though is it wrong I really want the awesome dude from Ghana to get in, can you imagine the reaction?! XD

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
                Not religious but am going to be glued to the TV for Conclave just as I was in 2005 ^^ I find it fascinating. Some of the candidates the BBC covered look really good - though is it wrong I really want the awesome dude from Ghana to get in, can you imagine the reaction?! XD
                Apparently Australia also has a Cardinal who's now eligible for the election. He's been known for making some very er....STUPID remarks in regards to homosexuality and HIV/AIDS. Otherwise he's generally OK, is supportive of interfaith dialogue and more or less argues the point that a Catholic is someone who actually practices, not someone who was born Catholic but doesn't practice.

Comment

I'm looking forward to all the conspiracy theorists who are obligated to come out soon and explain, by means of insanely long and rambling blog posts, how this means the end of the world, the New World Order rising, lizard men coming to eat us all, or, the classic, how them sneaky jews are out and about to do whatever they believe sneaky jews does. I expect references to the Illuminati, the Bilderbergers, Nibiru/Planet X, Freemasons, David Icke, and, obviously, the jews.

Comment

Originally posted by Skelly View Post
                    I'm looking forward to all the conspiracy theorists who are obligated to come out soon and explain, by means of insanely long and rambling blog posts, how this means the end of the world, the New World Order rising, lizard men coming to eat us all, or, the classic, how them sneaky jews are out and about to do whatever they believe sneaky jews does. I expect references to the Illuminati, the Bilderbergers, Nibiru/Planet X, Freemasons, David Icke, and, obviously, the jews.
                    *mysterious otherworldly voice* We are Legion..we are many...let them believe these others are the threat. Will make everything much easier for Legion.

Comment

He's not really resigning, he just gave up the Papacy for lent.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/wo...isis.html?_r=0

It seems that Benedict XVI's resignation is actually a pretty uneventful resignation compared to some of the other popes who have resigned.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                          http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/12/wo...isis.html?_r=0

It seems that Benedict XVI's resignation is actually a pretty uneventful resignation compared to some of the other popes who have resigned.
                          I followed the link and found something awesome. There was a Pope Hilarius. The patron saint of comedians (I wish)

Comment

Odd coincidence, a couple of nights ago I had a rather horrific nightmare where I was being tormented by a demon that called itself 'the Hilarious'.

Hmm....

Comment

This is relevant:
                              http://salem-news.com/articles/febru...pe-resigns.php

Comment

Working...
                              X