Accepted but not tolerated, WTF?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepted but not tolerated, WTF?

I was reading a post on another thread where someone mentioned a church that accepts gays, but does not tolerate their "sin". It reminds me of these churches that say they're accepting of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists or whatever, but in the same breath say that if they don't accept Jesus they're going to hell.

Basically, "we'll accept you as long as you comform to our standards". How is that accepting?

Sounds to me a bit like the pettiness of the church someone else was describing in another thread. They want to appear accepting on the outside, but once you're in, they don't care.

Comment

I'm sure they'll accept anyone as long as they're putting money in the collection plate.
      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
        I'm sure they'll accept anyone as long as they're putting money in the collection plate.
        ding ding ding ding, we have a winner, what do we have for him Johny?

I used to be Methodist until one of the church officials at the church I was going to told me point blank that the biggest mistake the church ever made was to allow gays and lesbians membership, but they couldn't change it now because they couldn't afford to lose the offerings that gays and lesbians and their supporters brought.

And the Mormon church's sudden softening on their condemnation of gays and lesbians (as long as they are celibate) is no surprise either. They are losing converts still because of Prop 8 and their alleged ties to groups such as NOM and they need to fix their public image to seem like they aren't as intolerant as they really are*

*I am of course speaking to the church leadership and policies, not the individual members, many of whom are actually very decent and accepting people.
        "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Immediately thought 'LDS' as well. I am inactive in the church because of this very thing. It's very 'oh, it's ok to be gay. You just have to stay completely celibate the rest of your life, never even holding hands with someone of your same gender.'

There were (and likely, still are) cases of celibate homosexual Mormons being excommunicated on mere, unsubstantiated rumor that they're in a relationship. That's it. No proof required, just a member has to complain that 'he/she was holding hands with another boy/girl at the mall the other day. I know, my cousin saw it', and just on that, get excommunicated or disfellowshipped.

Some wards are not like that, of course. My father's ward actually has a gay man on the bishopric. Progress is being made (though at incredibly glacial speed) but for the moment, the majority does not reflect tolerance, love, or acceptance...no matter what they might say.

Comment

A Church is supposed to accept all people, regardless of their sins, as they are still God's children. It doesn't matter what your sin was, they are still supposed to "hate the sin, but love the sinner."

My sins are between myself and God. When I confess my sins, whether to my priest or my friends/family, they are to support me as I guide myself back onto the proper path.

Unfortunately, the pretentious and self-righteous tend to forget this.
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

...except that, sadly, "hate the sin, love the sinner" often seems to be a flimsy front for, "I think you're a disgusting, evil sinner who not only deserves to burn in hell, but really should. But I'll pretend to tolerate you because the Word says I have no choice."

I rarely get to church, but when I do, it's a church that doesn't tolerate. No, they LOVE you, no matter who and what you are, and they don't seem to count loving the same gender as a sin. Fornication, sure, but it'd be just the same as when a man and a woman do it. And, yes, the pastor is gay. I just can't really imagine attending a church that's only tolerant, or not even tolerant, because that's simply not the way of the God I believe in.

Comment

Originally posted by Skunkle View Post
                ...except that, sadly, "hate the sin, love the sinner" often seems to be a flimsy front for, "I think you're a disgusting, evil sinner who not only deserves to burn in hell, but really should. But I'll pretend to tolerate you because the Word says I have no choice."
                That's the fault of the person and a prime example of "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

I rarely get to church, but when I do, it's a church that doesn't tolerate. No, they LOVE you, no matter who and what you are, and they don't seem to count loving the same gender as a sin. Fornication, sure, but it'd be just the same as when a man and a woman do it. And, yes, the pastor is gay. I just can't really imagine attending a church that's only tolerant, or not even tolerant, because that's simply not the way of the God I believe in.
                That's the way it should be. The way it is supposed to be. Homosexual sex is only a sin because it is typically pre/extra-marital sex. If a couple is lucky enough to be married, their sexual relations with each other are no longer sinful. They're expected.
                Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                  That's the way it should be. The way it is supposed to be. Homosexual sex is only a sin because it is typically pre/extra-marital sex. If a couple is lucky enough to be married, their sexual relations with each other are no longer sinful. They're expected.
                  Except many churches don't agree and won't recognize gay marriage, and will still consider their being together sinful.

Comment

Working...
                  X