No announcement yet.

christianmingle.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no problem with the general concept of christianmingle.com and other "narrow social group themed" dating sites. I do have a problem with christianmingle.com's advertising - it comes off as extreme hubris, as though God needed them to make the dating site to accurately match up people, or that if you don't use the site, you might not meet God's perfect match for you.

Now, I'm not a particularly religious individual, but I'd have to assume that if God had a special someone who was your perfect match, your destined mate, he'd have ways to make the first contact happen. Your car breaks down and they're the only person to stop and help you, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
      Now, I'm not a particularly religious individual, but I'd have to assume that if God had a special someone who was your perfect match, your destined mate, he'd have ways to make the first contact happen. Your car breaks down and they're the only person to stop and help you, for example.
      I am religious . . . and I'm in total agreement. Hubris is a mild understatement for what this site does in its advertising.

Now I've been in situations where I felt there was a higher power at work. For example, my sponsor in the Catholic Church is an Aspie, like me. We instantly understood one another. I really do believe God's hand was in that for me to be paired up with someone who understands my social limitations, and how I perceive and interact with the world.

But to sell a dating website as doing this when the real motive behind the site is profit plain and simple (it is a business after all) is just deplorable. They can't prove that the Holy Spirit is at work here, can't guarantee that you'll find your perfect mate, can't prove that if you don't God means for you to be single. If you do find your mate on this site, its much more likely that you just got lucky and clicked.
      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        Well, at least you know you'll get along...
        That's no guarantee
        I'm liberal on some issues and conservative on others. For example, I would not burn a flag, but neither would I put one out. -Garry Shandling

You can't believe in something you don't. -Ricky Gervais

Comment

[QUOTE=smileyeagle1021;133408]
          Originally posted by Jaden View Post
          As a Christian myself, I think the "find God's match for you" line is a bit crass and manipulative, QUOTE]

That one line alone is what bothers me so much... the idea that it is to find someone that God himself has picked out for you... I'm not sure which bothers me more, that apparently we don't have free will and our soul mates are little more than arranged marriages, or that being the case that God can't find a better way to do it that having a paid website for it.
          That's exactly why it bothers me. There is no bibilical evidence for a God who spends His time matchmaking. There is no The One. That's a non-christian, ancient greek construct.

Comment

Working...
          X