Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apparently ignorance is an excuse for breaking the law part 2

story here

Yup another, "I don't understand rape is wrong because of my culture".

However not being "tolerant"* of their culture is "islamaphobia". Um no a phobia is an irrational fear, as a female atheist who would be put to death, or imprisioned just for being an atheist in many countries, I'd say I'm quite justified in thinking their beliefs are abhorrent. Systematic abuse should not be tolerated by anyone.

*my go to explanations of tolerance, because too many people don't understand it.
    article 1
    http://www.str.org/site/News2?id=5359
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Respect for one's culture ends when that "culture" allows someone to harm another. "Your rights end where mine begin."

Comment

Of course, calling it "Islamaphobia" is misleading too. The cultural issue has to do with Sharia law which is separate.

And guess what? When you go to another country the laws change. Ignorance is no excuse for that
      I has a blog!

Comment

Of course, the thought that a violent act wouldn't go over well with the victim wouldn't enter the assailant's mind.
        "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
        -- OMM 0000

Comment

So, for the second victim, does the assailant also have an 'unclear concept of what constitutes' kidnapping?
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            So, for the second victim, does the assailant also have an 'unclear concept of what constitutes' kidnapping?
            another article purported* to have a quote from his lawyer stating "due to my client's religious upbringing, he was unaware that females are considered to be equal human beings with rights."

*the other article misrepresented some facts, so I googled for a better one.
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
              Of course, calling it "Islamaphobia" is misleading too. The cultural issue has to do with Sharia law which is separate.

And guess what? When you go to another country the laws change. Ignorance is no excuse for that
              Agreed. If I were to go to an Islamic country, I would be expected to abide by their laws and cultures; to dress as their women dress, to hide my Christian identity in public, maybe not even be allowed to drive (Saudi Arabia).

I was tempted to take a nursing job in Saudi years ago, and decided against it when I found out how restrictive the laws were in regards to women and religion. I knew I could not keep my mouth shut, and did not want to get into trouble. Good thing for me I didn't.

It irkes me when I'm expected to abide by THEIR customs no matter where I am, but they expect a free pass on MINE when THEY are in MY country.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Working...
              X