R.I.P. Fr. Brennan Manning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Fr. Brennan Manning

This probably isn't the right BBS for this post, but it's something that I thought I should share with many people.

Richard Francis Xavier "Brennan" Manning passed away yesterday, 2 weeks shy of his 79th birthday. He's a Franciscan Priest, United States Marine, and an accomplished writer.

In this day and age of Christian Extremists committing atrocities in the "Name of God" and exploiting His Word in any way that would benefit them, Father Manning's teachings always helped remind me what it was that Jesus Christ actually taught.

From The Raggamuffin Gospel
    “The North American Church is at a critical juncture. The gospel of grace is being confused and compromised by silence, seduction, and outright subversion. The vitality of the faith is being jeopardized. The lying slogans of the fixers who carry religion like a sword of judgment pile up with impunity. Let ragamuffins everywhere gather as a confessing Church to cry out in protest. Revoke the licenses of religious leaders who falsify the idea of God. Sentence them to three years in solitude with the Bible as their only companion.”

“My deepest awareness of myself is that I am deeply loved by Jesus Christ and I have done nothing to earn it or deserve it.”

“The story goes that a public sinner was excommunicated and forbidden entry to the church. He took his woes to God. 'They won't let me in, Lord, because I am a sinner.'

'What are you complaining about?' said God. 'They won't let Me in either.”
    From 'The Furious Longing of God'
    “The gospel is absurd and the life of Jesus is meaningless unless we believe that He lived, died, and rose again with but one purpose in mind: to make brand-new creation. Not to make people with better morals but to create a community of prophets and professional lovers, men and women who would surrender to the mystery of the fire of the Spirit that burns within, who would live in ever greater fidelity to the omnipresent Word of God, who would enter into the center of it all, the very heart and mystery of Christ, into the center of the flame that consumes, purifies, and sets everything aglow with peace, joy, boldness, and extravagant, furious love. This, my friend, is what it really means to be a Christian.”
    From 'Abba's Child'
    “To ignore, repress, or dismiss our feelings is to fail to listen to the stirrings of the Spirit within our emotional life. Jesus listened. In John's Gospel we are told that Jesus was moved with the deepest emotions (11:33)... The gospel portrait of the beloved Child of Abba is that of a man exquisitely attuned to His emotions and uninhibited in expressing them. The Son of Man did not scorn of reject feelings as fickle and unreliable. They were sensitive antennae to which He listened carefully and through which He perceived the will of His Father for congruent speech and action.”

“Accepting the reality of our sinfulness means accepting our authentic self. Judas could not face his shadow; Peter could. The latter befriended the impostor within; the former raged against him.”

“As we come to grips with our own selfishness and stupidity, we make friends with the impostor and accept that we are impoverished and broken and realize that, if we were not, we would be God. The art of gentleness toward ourselves leads to being gentle with others -- and is a natural prerequisite for our presence to God in prayer.”
    Some additional favorites
    “The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.”

"The biggest single mistake that we American Christians fall into is an attitude, a mindset, that says "If I change, then God will love me.""
    One of his sermons
    God Loves You As You Are, Not As You Should Be

R.I.P. Father Manning
    April 27, 1934 – April 12, 2013
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Thank you for posting this.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I think I have some books to download now.

Thank you.
      I has a blog!

Comment

You know how I know this guy was probably cool? I looked him up on Amazon and read the few negative reviews, left by fundamentalists who thought his God was a pushover.

May he rest in piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
          You know how I know this guy was probably cool? I looked him up on Amazon and read the few negative reviews, left by fundamentalists who thought his God was a pushover.

May he rest in piece.
          You got my curiosity up, so I went and looked.

Oh, good Lord. A bunch of bickering over the inclusion or exclusion of a single word, by a guy who probably can't read the Bible in its original Greek or Hebrew to know what it really said to begin with . . . or didn't say.

But whether he is right or he is wrong, he missed the whole point.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Working...
          X