No announcement yet.

Atheist groups calls for fair debate=shoving it down your throat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The patient must be seen by a neutral third-party doctor and found to be of sound mind, their financial and other w
    The problem, to me, with putting "of sound mind" in there is that one of, if not the, biggest situation where I'd want someone to put me out of my misery is if I had advanced Alzheimer's or, as Grandma had, damage from multiple tiny strokes to the point where I didn't know what was going on anymore.

As for fair debate, one problem is that the sides so often don't agree on what constitutes fair debate to start with. And like any other topic, that's NOT solved satisfactorily by declaring one side right and the other wrong at the outset.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      The problem, to me, with putting "of sound mind" in there is that one of, if not the, biggest situation where I'd want someone to put me out of my misery is if I had advanced Alzheimer's or, as Grandma had, damage from multiple tiny strokes to the point where I didn't know what was going on anymore
      My mother has Alzheimer's. It's been her greatest fear in life. She watched her father die of it; towards the end he didn't know her and was afraid of her. Her brother died of it. She's spent a lot of time denying her problem, to the point where she became very ill and was wandering the streets at midnight because of urosepsis.

She's in a safe environment now, and enjoying a much better quality of life. She loves the people who care for her. She takes trips with the other residents and enjoys them.

Can she do everything, interact with everyone the way she used to?

No.

But the real problem with her quality of life has less to do with her and more to do with me. I think it's harder for me to deal with the reality of her situation than it is for her. Mom's life still has joy in it, and I would not deny her that.
      Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

I'm glad she can still get joy out of life.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
        X