Faith healing couple loose second child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To commit malpractice requires malice.
    What's it called, then, when it's incompetence, clumsiness, or negligence?
    I pray for the spirit. For the body, I go to the doctor
    Sounds good.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      What's it called, then, when it's incompetence, clumsiness, or negligence?
      Neglicence, or negligent behaviour.
      I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
      Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I was always told as a child that God helps those who helps themselves. These people should have helped themselves to a freaking doctor.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Nyoibo View Post
          Neglicence, or negligent behaviour.
          So why do people get to sue for malpractice even when nothing was done wrong, much less intentionally, just because the *outcome* was bad? They too often win, too.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

What's it called, then, when it's incompetence, clumsiness, or negligence?Sounds good.
            There's 3 definitions: negligence, gross negligence, and malpractice.

Negligence is unintentional, but preventable. It's carelessness. For example, if I forget to get up and take vital signs because I'm too busy reading a comic book, that's negligence.

Gross negligence is a bit more serious. It's a failure to exercise the caution a prudent person would exercise. It involves some recklessness. For example, if a prudent nurse would make sure a diabetic has a dinner tray before giving sliding scale insulin, and doesn't, then that's gross negligence.

Malpractice means the nurse completely abandons the standard of care: for example, the patient complains of worsening symptoms and the nurse blows the patient off and does not perform a complete assessment. As a result, the patient suffers harm.

So why do people get to sue for malpractice even when nothing was done wrong, much less intentionally, just because the *outcome* was bad? They too often win, too.
            Anyone can sue; access to the courts is a civil right. Normally a lawyer should advise the client as to their chances of prevailing or other legal options. Some cases are very hard to prove even when the client is right about the harm done. Some states set a very high bar to sue; in North Carolina, a medical expert must agree that the standard of care was violated before a case can be brought.

Some patients sue hoping for a quick payday out of court. Most don't get it; the legal process works very slowly and is very expensive. But some cases are so egregious, the defendant is better off writing the check.
            Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              I was always told as a child that God helps those who helps themselves. These people should have helped themselves to a freaking doctor.
              My thoughts exactly. In fact, that's the point I was trying to make.
              --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

It's worth noting that the "God helps those" phrase is actually quite a recent thing.

I do wonder, though. Did they call up the elders of the church to have either of their children anointed in oils in the name of the Lord? Even the blind men required Jesus to be the conduit for their faith. Not to mention Paul's linens.
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Hmm, lets see...

Timothy 5:23
                  No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for the sake of your stomach and your frequent ailments.

Isaiah 38:21:
                  Now Isaiah had said, “Let them take a cake of figs and apply it to the boil, that he may recover.”

Ezekiel 47:12:
                  And on the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither, nor their fruit fail, but they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their leaves for healing.”

Luke 10:34:
                  He went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he set him on his own animal and brought him to an inn and took care of him.

Psalm 104:14
                  14 He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth;

Seems to me you only went to Jesus if you were up shit creek with blindness, leprosy, paralysis, etc. For everything else, there was still medicine and first aid. Helpfully derived from the very things it says God gave us.

Oddly enough, I can't find any verse where Jesus yells at people for taking aspirin. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                    It's worth noting that the "God helps those" phrase is actually quite a recent thing.

I do wonder, though. Did they call up the elders of the church to have either of their children anointed in oils in the name of the Lord? Even the blind men required Jesus to be the conduit for their faith. Not to mention Paul's linens.
                    Not exactly. When the blind man is healed by Jesus in John, Jesus mixes his saliva with mud, smears it in the man's eyes, and tells him to bath in a special pool nearby. The man doesn't believe until later, when he meets Jesus again and realizes who Jesus is. It's isn't faith alone that heals in that story (though it does in another story in Luke), there is a process involved.

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post

Oddly enough, I can't find any verse where Jesus yells at people for taking aspirin. ;p
                    That's because there isn't one there The healing stories in the Bible have a specific religious purpose. They aren't just to prove the divine power of Jesus (though that is part of it), they also highlight the corruption of the Pharisees and their failure to understand who and what Jesus was.

I think Jesus would want people to go to doctors. He understood that disease and injury are a part of the world we have to live in. Not going to a doctor is ignoring the problem, and that's not a solution.
                    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Working...
                    X