Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christians Being "Oppressed."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...181303156.html

Don't get me wrong. The quotes are not to say that there is NOWHERE Christians are oppressed. That would be stupid. But I am going to say that such places are not the US.

This article pisses me off. Now, not just because of my hatred of excessive celebration rules in sports (I think they're super dumb) but because of the way the article is written like this is a religious issue.

Now, if this WAS a religious issue, I would be rightly upset about it. I think any right-thinking person would be. I may think that Tebowing is a bit silly, but I'm not going to go so far as to say that athletes making a religious expression should be banned.

But here, the guy DIDN'T get in trouble for making a religious gesture. He got in trouble for making a gesture. The fact that the gesture was religious had nothing to do with it.

The rule is stupid, yes. And reporting on this stupid rule would be a good thing. I'd like to see people pressured to stop having excessive celebration rules in sports. Short of something personally insulting or game-delaying, celebrate however you like.

But this isn't reporting on "Isn't it a dumb rule." It's being reported on "OMG HE GOT IN TROUBLE FOR BEING CHRISTIAN."

Look, I'm a Christian. And I know about most sects. There are some which teach that every accomplishment comes from God, a teaching I disagree with, but if that's their belief, fine. And if their religion actually required an immediate hand gesture, then I'd think that there was a violation of religious freedom. But there's nothing I can think of, in any version of Christianity, where you're actually required to do that.

A lot of Christian groups like to act like they're persecuted. And that annoys me. Being Christian in America can be a pretty sweet deal. So they jump on anything and try to twist it into 'Persecution.' This isn't persecution. This is just stupidity.

I really hate it when people do this.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

From what I read, he just pointed to the sky with a hand cupped to his ear, I was expecting grandstanding like I've seen on international sporting event's where the American team is all "OHH YEAH OOH YEAH" to the crowd and that might be before the event let alone a win.

I didn't get that when it was discouraged from the NFL, as the clock is stopped and thus no time taken from play, where as football keeps the clock running, so a goalie is well within his rights to throw the ball out whilst the opposition is too busy jumping on each others backs and dry humping the ground.
    One team even formed conga line with hand's linked through their legs, their reason? they wanted to be featured on "they think it's all over" in their goal celebration round.

Comment

Don't get me started on the persecution complex of fundamentalists. They blow everything out of proportion.

Repealing of DADT = War on religion (according to Rick Perry)
      Having contraceptives cover insurance = Violation of religious freedom.
      Any law that protects other religions from being oppressed = oppression of Christians.

The only Christians who are treated poorly are the moral crusaders who want to dictate how people live.

I would agree that the rules against gesturing are stupid, but it's not a religious issue, it's an issue of the NFL having a stick up their ass.

Comment

These sorts of rules are in regards to good sportsmanship. Excessive showboating makes you look like a dick and creates animosity between teams. If its a contact sport like football or hockey, that can translate to nasty injuries.

However in this case, there was a rule, he knew the rule, he decided to do it anyway. All his own damn fault. Has nothing to do with religion or religious persecution. The gesture he made had no religious connotations, they're just making a stink about it by bringing religion into it for woe is me factor.

Hell, did the kid even SAY it was religious? It sounds more like a "I r number 1!" kind of gesture. Dad is the one that's saying he "thinks" his son was thanking God and thus OMIGAWD PERSECUTION.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
          However in this case, there was a rule, he knew the rule, he decided to do it anyway. All his own damn fault. Has nothing to do with religion or religious persecution. The gesture he made had no religious connotations, they're just making a stink about it by bringing religion into it for woe is me factor. .
          Well, now wait a minute. The rule says no "excessive celebration," not "no celebration at all."

Please, someone, explain to me how cupping your ear and pointing skywards is excessive?

Without guidelines on what exactly that means, I think the rule cannot be enforced.

I do think the parents are obfuscating the issue by mixing in religion. They should try living in places like Pakistan where real religious persecution exists before they complain about something so trivial as this.
          Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Without guidelines on what exactly that means, I think the rule cannot be enforced.
            According to the article, "Any hand gesture" is excessive.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the one hand to the ear and the other upward something Hulk Hogan used to do to get cheers from the audience?
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the one hand to the ear and the other upward something Hulk Hogan used to do to get cheers from the audience?
                Amen, brotha?

Comment

At this point I would love a time machine and send those retards claiming "oppression" back to ancient Rome when Christianity was still little more than a cult. They want to see oppression? They'd learn it first hand.

What was that? Bring them back? Now why would I want to do a silly thing like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Panacea View Post
                    Well, now wait a minute. The rule says no "excessive celebration," not "no celebration at all."
                    As mentioned, the rule specifically says no hand gestures and no raising your arms. So whether he violated the rule or not isn't in question here. He clearly did.

They're just using religion as an excuse to make an issue out of this.
                    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 05-06-2013, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post

They're just using religion as an excuse to make an issue out of this.
                      Exactly.

Now, like I said. I think the rule ITSELF is stupid.

There are celebrations that are excessive, but I think that this one is certainly not one. I think actively disrespecting the other team, interacting with their players/symbols whatever, or bringing in props... That would be excessive. But this just seems to be fairly tame.

But I find it ridiculous to bring this up as a religious issue.

Comment

Even if he WERE making a religious gesture, that doesn't somehow overrule the rules of the game. Christians aren't being singled out here - Jewish gestures, Buddhist gestures, Islamic gestures, FSM gestures - those are all just as forbidden.

Some Christians need to get a grip, and stop looking for excuses to play the martyr.

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                          Even if he WERE making a religious gesture, that doesn't somehow overrule the rules of the game. Christians aren't being singled out here - Jewish gestures, Buddhist gestures, Islamic gestures, FSM gestures - those are all just as forbidden.

Some Christians need to get a grip, and stop looking for excuses to play the martyr.
                          Like all things of this nature down south, they'll back off pretty quick the moment they realize "religious freedom" means more than just Christianity. If they revoke the rule for religious gestures, you can be damn sure it'll go right back up after someone bows their head to Mecca. >.>

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                            That is never going to happen.
                            Far too many people have this mindset that Christ was persecuted, if we aren't persecuted, we are not walking in Christ's footsteps (the whole fact that he was persecuted so we wouldn't have to be being lost on them). There are actually people who will have themselves crucified, and not just as a one off thing, but every year, so that they may understand and honor Christ's sacrifice. It's also a brotherhood thing, Christians in other places are persecuted for their faith and they stay strong, how will I know that I am as good of a Christian and my faith is as strong if I am not also persecuted?
                            Really, it's not that much different than the people who after Harry Styles pants were dropped on stage went out and bought tight black boxer briefs because that's what Harry Styles wears and they want to be like him, or the people who will change their hair style because Michele Obama has changed her hair style. Immitation becomes the highest form of flattery some.
                            "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
                              That is never going to happen.
                              Far too many people have this mindset that Christ was persecuted, if we aren't persecuted, we are not walking in Christ's footsteps (the whole fact that he was persecuted so we wouldn't have to be being lost on them).
                              I'm just going to quibble a bit on this (mostly because I agree with the sentiment; Fundamentalist Christianity is a bit off the deep end on this one). Christ never said he was to be persecuted so we wouldn't have to be. In fact, He promised that we would be.

He was persecuted to give penance for the original sin of Adam and Eve and open the way back into Heaven. Hence why He is titled the Lamb of God. He was the last sacrifice.

So, yeah, Christ said we'd be persecuted, even promised extra blessings/graces/rewards for it, but I don't think being told to knock off celebrating at a sports event really counts.
                              I has a blog!

Comment

Working...
                              X