Tamerlan Tsarnaev buried in Caroline County VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamerlan Tsarnaev buried in Caroline County VA

They finally found a burial place for the Boston Marathon bomber: in Caroline County, VA. http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/10/us/vir...html?hpt=hp_t1

Apparently, an interfaith group there, hearing that no where in Massachussetts would allow Tsarnaev to be buried there, contacted the uncle (who lives in Maryland) and offered a burial plot in a private cemetary.

I know this area; it's off I 95 not far from King's Dominion.

Some of the local Muslims weren't real thrilled, and neither are local residents.

The person who helped make the arrangements did so as an expression of her Christian faith: ""Jesus tells us, 'Love your enemies,' " she said, according to the Islamic Society. "Not to hate them, even after they are dead.""

I say to this lady (Martha Mullen): Applause.

I deplore what he did. But sticking him in the landfill is in conflict with my values. Even such as he should be buried properly.
    Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

We bury mobsters, gangsters, and rapists in cemetaries without a second thought. Why do we only start to give a shit if the crazy violence,

I would only have a problem with Tsarnaev being buried near me if there was a chance of his rising from the grave to kill people. Is that the concern? I mean, it's stupid, but it's at least valid. Unless you're concerned about zombie attacks, or ghost hauntings, then where we put his body really doesn't matter. So shut up and let the family put it where they want.

I read in a globe article about the guy who owns the funeral home, when asked about his decision to help with the burial. He said something like "It wasn't a decision. This is a mortuary. We bury the dead. That's what we do. I don't care what their sins in life were."

Wish more people thought of it that way.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

His burial is for his family, not for him, anyway. He's dead. It doesn't much matter to him what happens to his mortal remains.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I could see perhaps if the worry was that his grave was going to become a sightseeing/vandalism problem, but all I've seen so far indicates nothing of the kind.

This isn't nuclear waste we're talking about here. His dead body isn't going to do anything different than anyone else's, and it's shameful that there's been any difficulty finding a spot for it.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Agreed. I hope Martha Mullen doesn't live to regret her kind act. The guy is dead. He can't hurt anybody else. And the intransigence of the other cemeteries was putting the funeral parlor that held the body in an untenable position -- they could hardly store it forever.

Comment

He's dead!! He can't possibly hurt anyone ever again. So it makes no real difference where he's buried.

Comment

Well, folks in Massachusetts went apeshit about the idea he'd be buried anywhere in their state. This in spite of the fact he'd lived there a good part of his life. The parents weren't able to come get him, and probably couldn't afford it even if they could.

But yeah, someone mentioned that other mass murderers have been buried without all this fuss. He's dead, that should have been the end of it.

And looks like it will be. The Sheriff of Caroline County, Virginia found that all appropriate regulations had been followed, so he can't force a disinterment (while hinting he would if he could).
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

good grief... why don't people shut up about this- the guy is dead, what does it matter where he was buried? he is still someone's son, they might want a reminder of the good times they shared with him before he went bad.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
                  good grief... why don't people shut up about this- the guy is dead, what does it matter where he was buried? he is still someone's son, they might want a reminder of the good times they shared with him before he went bad.
                  Because of the risks of "Patriots" and "Christians" desecrating the grave. The costs of maintaining it could be worth more than keeping his remains there.
                  Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Good point. It's amazing how childish people can be. No insult to actual children intended.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I think it's a combination of the possibility of vandalism and the unwanted publicity of being known as "the graveyard that accepted Tamerlan." I can certainly understand why someone who is responsible for a cemetery to have reservations about accepting someone who is so infamous.

I don't really care where his body is, to be honest. I'm certainly not going to have hard feelings toward a cemetery if they do bury him there, but I'm also not going to blame anyone for refusing to bury him in their cemetery either.

Comment

Yeah, one of my friends went to protest him being buried in MA. I was ripshit because of said friend's actions.

He's dead. The funeral and burial is to give peace to his family. People who are innocent.

They get so pissed off when WBC decides to picket funerals, but then they go and do it themselves. You think that your cause is "just"? Guess what, so does WBC!

He's not going to hurt anyone anymore. Protesting his funeral/etc. is only going to hurt people who had nothing to do with the bombing. You need to be consistent though, you need to protest the burial of any and all criminals.

I had this same rift in friends when Osama bin Laden died. They were pissed at me for not celebrating, I was annoyed (but let them alone) about celebrating.

I won't celebrate death. Ever.

Comment

Well, I have to admit, I didn't shed any tears for Osama bin Laden. And I wasn't too upset about him being buried at sea.

However, if what the government tell us is to be believed, he was at least given an actual funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                            I think it's a combination of the possibility of vandalism and the unwanted publicity of being known as "the graveyard that accepted Tamerlan." I can certainly understand why someone who is responsible for a cemetery to have reservations about accepting someone who is so infamous.
                            Indeed. My first thought was "Gee! I wonder how long it'll be before they start trashing the cemetery?"

From the Heavy Metal movie (The Captain Stern sketch)...

Stern's Lawyer - "But the most we can hope for is to get you buried in secrecy so your grave don't get violated!"
                            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

That's why they obfuscated which graves is whos.

Most of the graves got fresh dirt piled on them. There were two new graves, neither with headstones.

Right now, no one knows which grave is Tsarneav's. And that's a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X